Today I Learned....PartII

44 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Sounds like Princess Bride with Dread Pirate Roberts.

Dread Pirate Roberts: "Good night, Westley. Good work. Sleep well. I'll most likely kill you in the morning." 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, live it up in that 4x6 jail cell.  I would do horrible, horrible things to make them move me up on the “kill list.”  lol

So sort of like you do now?

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

I fully expect that, when I die, I won't know until the moment it happens.  So I'm not quite sympathetic to them.

Seriously.  I wish I could be told the morning of.  I'd have a "to do," list at the ready.

Today I learned that back lights on led TVs should not be set above 75%. Setting them above that can burn out the led lenses and be costly to repair. I also learned that most TV manufacturers allow the back light to be set brighter than theyre supposed to be set. Probably so you have to replace your tv more frequently 

38 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Today I learned that back lights on led TVs should not be set above 75%. Setting them above that can burn out the led lenses and be costly to repair. I also learned that most TV manufacturers allow the back light to be set brighter than theyre supposed to be set. Probably so you have to replace your tv more frequently 

uh oh, not that expensive I hope

my Samsung is still chugging along just fine 9 years on, i really like it, i could replace it with 10 times the product for half of what i bought it for, but i can wait

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

uh oh, not that expensive I hope

my Samsung is still chugging along just fine 9 years on, i really like it, i could replace it with 10 times the product for half of what i bought it for, but i can wait

Back in November I had one of the lenses fall off/burn out and it cost me $250 to repair. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying a new TV. About 2 weeks ago, I had 2 more burn out and have no sound out of the TV speakers. It's in the shop again (this time under an extended warranty I purchased after the last breakdown) so fortunately I don't have to pay this time. The guy who's fixing it told me about the back light thing. He said they see this issue constantly because people turn the back light all the way up because the picture looks best that way, but unfortunately crap these tvs out alot faster. He did say that adjusting the brightness won't effect anything, just the back light

17 hours ago, Steptide said:

Back in November I had one of the lenses fall off/burn out and it cost me $250 to repair. Not cheap, but cheaper than buying a new TV. About 2 weeks ago, I had 2 more burn out and have no sound out of the TV speakers. It's in the shop again (this time under an extended warranty I purchased after the last breakdown) so fortunately I don't have to pay this time. The guy who's fixing it told me about the back light thing. He said they see this issue constantly because people turn the back light all the way up because the picture looks best that way, but unfortunately crap these tvs out alot faster. He did say that adjusting the brightness won't effect anything, just the back light

Maybe people do it because they have an extended warranty and do not care.

I had one of those on my car for which 90% of premiums were repaid if there were no claims.

In year 6 of 7 company went out of business ("bankruptcy") and company was purchased.

Further research determined they were same owners on another holding company.

They actually tried to sell me another extended warranty; I told them I do not purchase warranties on cars from companies younger than my car.

On 7/13/2018 at 11:27 AM, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, live it up in that 4x6 jail cell.  I would do horrible, horrible things to make them move me up on the “kill list.”  lol

I think they have 6 months to carry out the sentence. I'm not sure what would be worse. Knowing the day or knowing it could be any day.

On 7/13/2018 at 6:26 PM, Steptide said:

Ouch, $250 would be too much for repair, a good chunk of what I’ll pay for the next TV, it’s not that big a thing for me, an online bargain at a big box store will be next, as this one was.

5 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

I think they have 6 months to carry out the sentence. I'm not sure what would be worse. Knowing the day or knowing it could be any day.

I don’t know the answer, but we are all in the second category already. We just don’t sense that as keenly.