Today I Learned....PartII

8 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Today I learned theres a small leak in the rubber of my car door. Very small. However, sitting in a downpour all night, filled up the little storage bin right by my driver side door. The same one I leave my cell phone in. So, no more phone.

Yesterday I learned about something called the "core coil system" in my car as it fell apart, a timely death apparently, had never come across this in the prior dozen cars I owned or drove regularly.

Fortunately easily repaired for a little coin and no other damage, and it runs like brand new in many ways.....

1 hour ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

Today I learned theres a small leak in the rubber of my car door. Very small. However, sitting in a downpour all night, filled up the little storage bin right by my driver side door. The same one I leave my cell phone in. So, no more phone.

Look on the bright side, you gained a paperweight.

Only an idiot would leave their phone locked in their car overnight. Stop being an idiot.

Throttle/shift cables for boats can be stiff but the problem can be the slide that attaches to the shift arm.   I also learned that removing the lower cowling on an outboard is a  PIA.    and that boat mechanics are worth whatever they charge if they're good. 

4 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

Throttle/shift cables for boats can be stiff but the problem can be the slide that attaches to the shift arm.   I also learned that removing the lower cowling on an outboard is a  PIA.    and that boat mechanics are worth whatever they charge if they're good. 

TIL there is another boat owner on TBD trying his own boat repairs! PM me!

I've replaced all wiring, circuit breakers and switches and gauges. Just applied powers an hour ago and the Bilge pump now works for the first time in years. Moving on to live well pumps and aerators....

• Like (+1) 1

Well i've done pretty much everything i can do so far.  Rebuilt the carbs on all three cylinders, new starter, new water pump, rewired the trailer, put the lights on the guide posts so they never get wet, also used extention cord instead of that small weak crap they give you to wire with, dedicated ground wires.   New springs on the trailer, new hitch ball receiver on the trailer, new axle, hubs, bearings.   new ignition wire on one cylinder.   new thermostat, poppet valve, new bilge pumps and livewell last summer, new lower unit oil.   

That's..that's about it so far.  

3 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Well i've done pretty much everything i can do so far.  Rebuilt the carbs on all three cylinders, new starter, new water pump, rewired the trailer, put the lights on the guide posts so they never get wet, also used extention cord instead of that small weak crap they give you to wire with, dedicated ground wires.   New springs on the trailer, new hitch ball receiver on the trailer, new axle, hubs, bearings.   new ignition wire on one cylinder.   new thermostat, poppet valve, new bilge pumps and livewell last summer, new lower unit oil.   

That's..that's about it so far.  

Ok, ping me in the fall when I have to winterize, I am first season on outboards, 17 years with an inboard, had the mechanic take care of it. Now with the outboards I want to try to maintain them myself. Anything special I should know about Mercurys?

Just now, Guffalo said:

Ok, ping me in the fall when I have to winterize, I am first season on outboards, 17 years with an inboard, had the mechanic take care of it. Now with the outboards I want to try to maintain them myself. Anything special I should know about Mercurys?

Are yours brand new?   4 strokes?  Mine is a 20 year old 2 stroke so hard I really don't know anything about the new ones.  I live in Central FL so i never winterize i pretty much fish year round.  I run mine every 3 weeks without fail to keep the carbs from gumming up but I don't think that's possible up where you are.  

11 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Are yours brand new?   4 strokes?  Mine is a 20 year old 2 stroke so hard I really don't know anything about the new ones.  I live in Central FL so i never winterize i pretty much fish year round.  I run mine every 3 weeks without fail to keep the carbs from gumming up but I don't think that's possible up where you are.  

They are 2004 Merc 225 2 stroke about 350 hours on them. I read some online stuff and watched videos. I think I can pull the winterization off (I hope so)  for any replacement of parts then I will need help.

Just now, Guffalo said:

They are 2004 Merc 225 2 stroke about 350 hours on them. I read some online stuff and watched videos. I think I can pull the winterization off (I hope so)  for any replacement of parts then I will need help.

I think if you read up you'll be fine, do a search on TheHullTruth, lots of good information on there.    I use seafoam on almost every tankful, seems to keep the buildup to a minimum.