Beer Thread

RaoulDuke79

stood in line this morning/afternoon for a Tired Hands Can release. got there around 945AM the line was already about 600 deep. Checked the allotments to see if I could still get the beers, decided to stick it out. Beer went on sale at noon, finally got my allotment at 2PM. It was fun hanging in line with other beer geeks. Lot's of trading going on in line. I had some alchemist beers with me, but they have almost become common place and i didn't want to insult people offering them up. Went onto a beer trading site to see if I could get some interest in acquiring some Monkish for the newly acquired Tired Hands. Drank one can of the Pumpkin Spice Latte Double Milkshake IPA(very very very good). Have the other 2 Only Void offerings I haven't tried yet, but if history is any indication, they are reportedly excellent beers.

and this was after my friday in northeast philly celebrating Friday the Firkenteenth with this nice little list

Day Session - noon to 6pm
Broken Goblet Rhosgobel Brown Ale with maple-cinnamon roasted butternut squash and cranberry
Copper Tail strawberry rhubarb Berliner
Duck Rabbit Porter with orange zest
Evil Genius TL;DR Motueka Pale Ale
Fat Heads Hop Stalker fresh hop IPA, double dry hopped with Simcoe
Flying Dog Pearl Necklace Chesapeake Stout with Vanilla and Cocoa
Flying Fish Cru Brulee - Grand Cru with vanilla and lactose
Free Will Micro Manager IPA w/ mixed tart berries
Great Lakes Mole Edmund Fitzgerald
Manayunk Wet Dreamin' Wet Hopped IPA with Scoats grown/Scoats picked hops
Neshaminy Creek Jawn with Blackberry
River Horse Hipp o'Lantern w/ coffee and vanilla (pin)
Rivertowne Don Juan Johnson Pale Ale - with wet hops from 3 sources
Three Heads Giant Panda Imperial IPA

Night Session - 6pm to midnight
Cape May Oktoberfest
Dock Street Man Full of Trouble Porter w/ coffee, vanilla, brown sugar
Green Flash Treasure Chest IPA with passion fruit tea, with double the dry hopping
Heavy Seas Winter Storm Imperial ESB
Naked Sour Le Petomane Saison w/ kiwi
River Horse Hipp o'Lantern with oak chips and vanillia (pin)
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Singlecut Workers Are Going Home IIPA w/ nelson
Sly Fox Prometheus Smoked Imperial Porter
St. Boniface Chocolate Porter
Weyerbacher Last Chance IPA firkin dry hopped with Citra
Yards IPA with Citra

Edited by The Poojer

stood in line this morning/afternoon for a Tired Hands Can release. got there around 945AM the line was already about 600 deep. Checked the allotments to see if I could still get the beers, decided to stick it out. Beer went on sale at noon, finally got my allotment at 2PM. It was fun hanging in line with other beer geeks. Lot's of trading going on in line. I had some alchemist beers with me, but they have almost become common place and i didn't want to insult people offering them up. Went onto a beer trading site to see if I could get some interest in acquiring some Monkish for the newly acquired Tired Hands. Drank one can of the Pumpkin Spice Latte Double Milkshake IPA(very very very good). Have the other 2 Only Void offerings I haven't tried yet, but if history is any indication, they are reportedly excellent beers.

and this was after my friday in northeast philly celebrating Friday the Firkenteenth with this nice little list

Day Session - noon to 6pmBroken Goblet Rhosgobel Brown Ale with maple-cinnamon roasted butternut squash and cranberryCopper Tail strawberry rhubarb BerlinerDuck Rabbit Porter with orange zestEvil Genius TL;DR Motueka Pale AleFat Heads Hop Stalker fresh hop IPA, double dry hopped with SimcoeFlying Dog Pearl Necklace Chesapeake Stout with Vanilla and CocoaFlying Fish Cru Brulee - Grand Cru with vanilla and lactose Free Will Micro Manager IPA w/ mixed tart berries

Great Lakes Mole Edmund Fitzgerald

Manayunk Wet Dreamin' Wet Hopped IPA with Scoats grown/Scoats picked hops

Neshaminy Creek Jawn with Blackberry

River Horse Hipp o'Lantern w/ coffee and vanilla (pin)

Rivertowne Don Juan Johnson Pale Ale - with wet hops from 3 sources

Three Heads Giant Panda Imperial IPA

Night Session - 6pm to midnight

Cape May Oktoberfest

Dock Street Man Full of Trouble Porter w/ coffee, vanilla, brown sugar

Green Flash Treasure Chest IPA with passion fruit tea, with double the dry hopping

Heavy Seas Winter Storm Imperial ESB

Naked Sour Le Petomane Saison w/ kiwi

River Horse Hipp o'Lantern with oak chips and vanillia (pin)

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

Singlecut Workers Are Going Home IIPA w/ nelson

Sly Fox Prometheus Smoked Imperial Porter

St. Boniface Chocolate Porter

Weyerbacher Last Chance IPA firkin dry hopped with Citra

Yards IPA with Citra

I'll bet you could have had a Bud Lime in the blink of an eye! :beer:

All summer, been high on Founders Session IPA, at about a 5 ABV. Comes in 15 packs and you can get it for around $16. Fall Oktoberfest beers in the fridge this year include Brooklyn, Flying Dog, Dominion, and Great Lakes. All outstanding.

All summer, been high on Founders Session IPA, at about a 5 ABV. Comes in 15 packs and you can get it for around $16. Fall Oktoberfest beers in the fridge this year include Brooklyn, Flying Dog, Dominion, and Great Lakes. All outstanding.

I really enjoy the Flying Dog Raging B word Belgian. Good stuff.

Founders All Day is a GREAT session beer. If you are lucky enough to be in the area where it is sold, Bissell Brothers Baby Genius might be the best session ipa i have ever had, in fact it is up there in my list of favorite any beers.

Been very noticeable to me how much less Pumpkin beer is in the store this fall. Guess they learned a lesson last year trying to sell half price leftover pumpkin beers in March.

Having said that, my favorite beer, Hardywood Pumpkin Saison is out, and that is just fabulous. Ages well too, and i have enough now to last through at least the hockey playoffs. Cant drink too often as 8.5% beer and only comes in the 20OZ bottles.

Edited by plenzmd1

Been very noticeable to me how much less Pumpkin beer is in the store this fall. Guess they learned a lesson last year trying to sell half price leftover pumpkin beers in March.

Having said that, my favorite beer, Hardywood Pumpkin Saison is out, and that is just fabulous. Ages well too, and i have enough now to last through at least the hockey playoffs. Cant drink too often as 8.5% beer and only comes in the 20OZ bottles.

Budwey's, a local supermarket, was selling pallets full of pumpkin beer at exactly this price last winter/early spring. I'm not a big pumpkin beer guy, but for $5.50 a 12-pack, I'll toughen it out.

Quick question here as sometimes i think the reviews on beer advocate are for much more discerning beer drinkers than me!

Bought a bottle of Trader Joes Sour today.this one here

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/718/267417/

I usually let my sours age a year or so, but wondering if anyone has tried this one and if they like? At $7.99 a pop, really is a bargain and will go buy a bunch and let it age for a while.

Thanks

Edited by plenzmd1

Founders All Day is a GREAT session beer. If you are lucky enough to be in the area where it is sold, Bissell Brothers Baby Genius might be the best session ipa i have ever had, in fact it is up there in my list of favorite any beers.

Checked my local beer mart, Total Wine and More in Fairfax, VA and they don't sell it...went to the website and see it's only indigenous to Maine. Dang.

yeah, it's a new england local. I am sure you can find local beer lovers around you that mule up there on a somewhat regular basis or find a trading group and see if you can get your hands on some. i will see if i have any resources as well. stay tuned

Checked my local beer mart, Total Wine and More in Fairfax, VA and they don't sell it...went to the website and see it's only indigenous to Maine. Dang.

+1 on Founders.

• 4 weeks later...

Having some Stone Delicious tonight. I'm an IPA guy, but the Stone may be just a bit bitter for my taste. It's weird because I love Troegs Perpetual which has a higher IBU  than Stone, but for some reason Stone has more of a bite that sticks with you and doesn't finish as smooth at the end. 

2 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Another vote for Founders All Day IPA. By the way what is a “session” ale? 

A beer with a lower ABV that you can drink all day.....From what I gathered, or at least the coolest story that I've heard was that the fellas in WWII called it a session when they went out drinking or something of that nature and they wanted to drink a beer that allowed them to function the next day, hence the session beer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

A beer with a lower ABV that you can drink all day.....From what I gathered, or at least the coolest story that I've heard was that the fellas in WWII called it a session when they went out drinking or something of that nature and they wanted to drink a beer that allowed them to function the next day, hence the session beer.

Seriously? Sounds too easy. Lol. Thought it had something to do with a limited batch brewed in a certain session. Your explanation sounds more logical I guess. Tastes damn good though.