WWE/Professional Wrestling

Bray Wyatt

I rather like WWE's new format to avoid commercial breaks in the middle of matches, though they had to be a little inventive in "restarting" matches (after the break) to skirt the rule tonight.

I hope they keep it up, but I don't think it will last more than a few weeks before McMahon forgets about it.

10 hours ago, Koko78 said:

I rather like WWE's new format to avoid commercial breaks in the middle of matches, though they had to be a little inventive in "restarting" matches (after the break) to skirt the rule tonight.

I hope they keep it up, but I don't think it will last more than a few weeks before McMahon forgets about it.

I didn't watch it, but I heard they were going to be doing something about commercials because Vince didn't want matches going on during commercial breaks. Did they actually stop matches so they can go to commercial if they want a match to go on for a while? That seems dumb to me, either design the match so it lasts between breaks, or schedule the commercials to be when a match finishes. They do it for other sporting events, you never see a baseball game take a commercial break during an inning, they come after it's over or during a break like a pitching change. Why couldn't they do the same? 

On 6/11/2019 at 3:55 PM, Logic said:

After watching the AEW event, I became curious about Kenny Omega and what makes people say he's the best wrestler in the world.

As such, when I get home to work today, I plan to watch the first Omega vs Okada match from NJPW. I was GOING to just watch the most recent one (the "seven star" match), but I figured I'd better just watch the whole series of matches between these two instead. It's my understanding that they're ALL excellent, and I know that in Japanese wrestling, matches often build off of and have references to past matches. So I'm just gonna do the whole darn series. Excited to see what all the buzz is about with these dudes.

Theres a documentary on Omega that just came out recently called "Omega Man". It's pretty good, goes into his early career and then his feud/teaming with Ibushi. Should definitely check that out if you haven't already. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, tbarg12 said:

Theres a documentary on Omega that just came out recently called "Omega Man". It's pretty good, goes into his early career and then his feud/teaming with Ibushi. Should definitely check that out if you haven't already. 

Thanks for the recommendation.

I've actually been enjoying this NJPW stuff so much that I've become a bit obsessed. I've been reading all about the history of the company (some of which I knew, much of which I did not), watching documentaries, basically learning everything I can about the organization and its wrestlers. 

So far, I absolutely love it. Aside from having the best actual WRESTLING on the planet, it logically addresses just about ALL of the problems I have with modern WWE (giving meaning to the title belts, the various tournaments that set up feuds and storylines throughout the year, countouts resulting in title changes, etc, etc). It's just awesome. As a matter of fact, I'm enjoying it so much that I plan to cancel my WWE Network membership on July 1st and subscribe to NJPWWorld instead. Can't wait to watch as much as I can of this year's G1 Climax, not to mention the scads of historical stuff I want to watch (Pegasus Kid vs Great Sasuke, Liger vs Muta, Dynamite Kid vs Tiger Mask, all Okada vs Tanahashi matches, etc).

I haven't felt this excited about wrestling (at least modern, non-nostalgia-tinted wrestling) in 20 years. It's nuts. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...

Only caught the last 5 minutes of the reunion, but nice job by Stone Cold.  He could have played his typical bad ass self, but he really showed a lot of love towards the rest of the reunion crew, WWE staff etc.  That was pretty cool!

On 6/11/2019 at 4:55 PM, Logic said:

After watching the AEW event, I became curious about Kenny Omega and what makes people say he's the best wrestler in the world.

As such, when I get home to work today, I plan to watch the first Omega vs Okada match from NJPW. I was GOING to just watch the most recent one (the "seven star" match), but I figured I'd better just watch the whole series of matches between these two instead. It's my understanding that they're ALL excellent, and I know that in Japanese wrestling, matches often build off of and have references to past matches. So I'm just gonna do the whole darn series. Excited to see what all the buzz is about with these dudes.

It's funny, I actually didn't like the match at Dominion as much as I did some of the previous ones. Glad to hear you're watching the whole series! I think you'll enjoy.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:32 PM, Logic said:

Thanks for the recommendation.

I've actually been enjoying this NJPW stuff so much that I've become a bit obsessed. I've been reading all about the history of the company (some of which I knew, much of which I did not), watching documentaries, basically learning everything I can about the organization and its wrestlers. 

So far, I absolutely love it. Aside from having the best actual WRESTLING on the planet, it logically addresses just about ALL of the problems I have with modern WWE (giving meaning to the title belts, the various tournaments that set up feuds and storylines throughout the year, countouts resulting in title changes, etc, etc). It's just awesome. As a matter of fact, I'm enjoying it so much that I plan to cancel my WWE Network membership on July 1st and subscribe to NJPWWorld instead. Can't wait to watch as much as I can of this year's G1 Climax, not to mention the scads of historical stuff I want to watch (Pegasus Kid vs Great Sasuke, Liger vs Muta, Dynamite Kid vs Tiger Mask, all Okada vs Tanahashi matches, etc).

I haven't felt this excited about wrestling (at least modern, non-nostalgia-tinted wrestling) in 20 years. It's nuts. 

Awesome!! As Cody Rhodes said, no one company, entity or individual owns pro wrestling...we own pro wrestling! There's so much great wrestling going on both domestic and abroad in 2019.

I just signed back up on NJPWWorld for the G-1, it's my first time keeping up with the G-1 live and it's been fun! Lance Archer has been putting on a SHOW every time he goes out, I'm loving his new character. Okada and Will Ospreay just had a bonkers match a few days ago, also it's super cool seeing Jon Moxley (Dean Ambrose) mixing it up with these guys, he and Tomohiro Ishii recently had an awesome slugfest. The G-1 is my favorite time of the year for New Japan, every match in the tournament is a fun watch

You're inspiring me though, I might need to go back and watch some of the older stuff. Cheers!

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I just signed back up on NJPWWorld for the G-1, it's my first time keeping up with the G-1 live and it's been fun! Lance Archer has been putting on a SHOW every time he goes out, I'm loving his new character. Okada and Will Ospreay just had a bonkers match a few days ago, also it's super cool seeing Jon Moxley (Dean Ambrose) mixing it up with these guys, he and Tomohiro Ishii recently had an awesome slugfest. The G-1 is my favorite time of the year for New Japan, every match in the tournament is a fun watch

You're inspiring me though, I might need to go back and watch some of the older stuff. Cheers!

I, too, have been keeping up with the G1 in real time. At least as well as I can while still trying to have a life, any way.

Archer IS having a hell of a tournament, and it seems to have taken everyone by complete surprise. He has even won over the Japanese fans. Despite being the clear heel vs Tanahashi, he was getting just as much love from the crowd. He kept yelling "Shut up" to the fans, but they didn't. They appreciate what he's doing. How could you not? He's killing it. Good for him! Here's hoping the promotion notices and decides to give Archer a decent push up the card following the tournament.

NJPW has done such a good job booking Moxley and making him look like a monster heel. They're also doing a good job building KENTA back up into looking like a legitimate force after his forgettable 5 years with WWE. If he decided to sign a full time contract with NJPW, he can be a massively productive and lucrative asset for them and can really shake up the main event scene.

Okada certainly looks unbeatable at the moment. It won't surprise me if he becomes the first reigning IWGP Champion to win the tournament in since 2000.

Ospreay is just a force to be reckoned with. He WILL be a fixture in the main event scene for years to come, I'm sure of it.

Speaking of fixtures in the main event picture for years to come, Ibushi and Sanada are clearly the next big things in NJPW. Their recent macthup was darn good. They're on the cusp of bigger and better things, for sure.

I just can't stress enough how much I love the booking, storytelling, and logic of NJPW and the G1 tournament so far. They put on compelling match after compelling match WHILE furthering existing feuds and storylines, setting up FUTURE feuds and storylines, and entertaining the hell out of everyone. Like I said, I haven't been this "in the bag" for pro wrestling in at least 20 years. It's just so well done. All the credit in the world to NJPW, the bookers, and the wrestlers. Incredible stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Archer IS having a hell of a tournament, and it seems to have taken everyone by complete surprise. He has even won over the Japanese fans. Despite being the clear heel vs Tanahashi, he was getting just as much love from the crowd. He kept yelling "Shut up" to the fans, but they didn't. They appreciate what he's doing. How could you not? He's killing it. Good for him! Here's hoping the promotion notices and decides to give Archer a decent push up the card following the tournament.

Living in Dallas, I have gotten to see Archer/ Lance Hoyt a lot at indie shows over the years. It's pretty awesome to see him getting the reaction he has been getting in the tournament. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Is Omega the one who feuded with Jericho in Japan?

I've heard good things about him. I used to be a huge wrestling fan and occasionally check in. I still click when i see an article that looks good or listen to some podcasts because the business, especially in the older days fascinates me. I actually find what goes on behind the scenes more interesting than the shows now, i guess it's kind of like the NBA in that way lol

Edit: Did any other wrestling nerds play EWR as a kid? That game was a blast.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

56 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Is Omega the one who feuded with Jericho in Japan?

I've heard good things about him. I used to be a huge wrestling fan and occasionally check in. I still click when i see an article that looks good or listen to some podcasts because the business, especially in the older days fascinates me. I actually find what goes on behind the scenes more interesting than the shows now, i guess it's kind of like the NBA in that way lol

Edit: Did any other wrestling nerds play EWR as a kid? That game was a blast.

I played EWR! Burned so many hours playing that game. It's still free on EWBattleground.

Omega and Jericho had a match in Japan yes, then a rematch in AEW. He's a fantastic wrestler but also a genuinely grateful, humble guy who many find easy to like. He went the extra miles to learn the Japanese culture (which is ceremonial and we might say rigid in some ways) and cut promos in fluent Japanese and really won people's respect over his years there. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

That was great! :lol:  His interactions with the crowd are generally fantastic. I'd love to see him beat Okada in their G-1 match and then get to headline a show with him in a title match afterward. Even if the Rainmaker retained the belt I'd love to watch Archer get that first win and then watch it unfold- he's crushing it!

edit- I'm not feeling KENTA for some reason, just finding his matches boring. People online seem to like him, different strokes I guess. I think he has Okada Saturday which I'm sure will be good though haha

Since you're into the history, I happened upon this video yesterday. I've never been a huge Lesnar guy but I found it fascinating, it tells the story of New Japan from the nineties to the modern era and how the company couldn't sell seats and was on the brink of collapse, and how the New Japan we see today came from that.

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure
  • Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

I played EWR! Burned so many hours playing that game. It's still free on EWBattleground.

Omega and Jericho had a match in Japan yes, then a rematch in AEW. He's a fantastic wrestler but also a genuinely grateful, humble guy who many find easy to like. He went the extra miles to learn the Japanese culture (which is ceremonial and we might say rigid in some ways) and cut promos in fluent Japanese and really won people's respect over his years there. 

That game was a blast. The scenarios you could download, and creating your own promotion.

Glad to hear someone else wasted there time on that game. And I don't mean that as a bad thing, but it was so fun.

3 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

That game was a blast. The scenarios you could download, and creating your own promotion.

Glad to hear someone else wasted there time on that game. And I don't mean that as a bad thing, but it was so fun.

Yes! That dude that made it must be super smart. It was fun and obsessive haha

I remember pushing Test to the moon! Wrestlemania main event

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, 2020 Our Year For Sure said:

edit- I'm not feeling KENTA for some reason, just finding his matches boring. People online seem to like him, different strokes I guess. I think he has Okada Saturday which I'm sure will be good though haha

Yeah, I hear ya. 

It's weird: KENTA used to be THE guy in Japan. All those years with NOAH and ROH, he was absolutely killing guys. Then, he went away to WWE and struggled with injuries and bad timing and bad booking. Now that he's with New Japan, they're clearly doing everything they can to build him back up and make him look like the dangerous threat he once was. Only one problem: He hasn't exactly LOOKED like the dangerous threat he once was. I don't know if it's lack of confidence after the WWE fiasco, or ring rust, or the fact that he's still finding his way in a new promotion, but he hasn't looked like the KENTA of old. His strikes are vicious, his heel tactic and arrogance are pretty on point, but...there's something missing. Hard to put a finger on. I'm starting to wonder if it's not that anything's wrong with HIM, it's just that Japanese pro wrestling has stepped its game up so much in the past few years that he simply looks less impressive by comparison to the other high quality wrestlers on the roster. Whatever it is, I'm with you: He hasn't been having the most impressive matches this tournament. For what it's worth, though, I thought his match against EVIL was his best yet in this tournament.

6 hours ago, Logic said:

Yeah, I hear ya. 

It's weird: KENTA used to be THE guy in Japan. All those years with NOAH and ROH, he was absolutely killing guys. Then, he went away to WWE and struggled with injuries and bad timing and bad booking. Now that he's with New Japan, they're clearly doing everything they can to build him back up and make him look like the dangerous threat he once was. Only one problem: He hasn't exactly LOOKED like the dangerous threat he once was. I don't know if it's lack of confidence after the WWE fiasco, or ring rust, or the fact that he's still finding his way in a new promotion, but he hasn't looked like the KENTA of old. His strikes are vicious, his heel tactic and arrogance are pretty on point, but...there's something missing. Hard to put a finger on. I'm starting to wonder if it's not that anything's wrong with HIM, it's just that Japanese pro wrestling has stepped its game up so much in the past few years that he simply looks less impressive by comparison to the other high quality wrestlers on the roster. Whatever it is, I'm with you: He hasn't been having the most impressive matches this tournament. For what it's worth, though, I thought his match against EVIL was his best yet in this tournament.

I went to NXT when they came to Rochester, it was right around the time Roode was getting called up. Itami (Kenta) had a match with Aleister Black that was amazing. Itami got busted open and was bleeding everywhere, the ref kept trying to get in there and clean him up but Itami dgaf and kept waving him off and went on with the match, just amazing

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Good episode of Raw last night, Heyman's fingerprints starting to show up more all over the card

Yeah, I was impressed with the episode. They actually advanced stories and still found time to bring some much-needed 'heat' to both Andrade and Rick O'Shay (both performed amazingly in the gauntlet match), and the Rollins/Lesnar fight. Now if they can just find something for Sami to do, other than get pinned in 12 seconds...

Though I'm not happy they brought back mid-match commercial breaks. Was nice while it lasted, though.

Going to be interesting how they get the 48/7-11 European Television Championship off Maria. Can't imagine it going over well having a legitimately pregnant woman take a bump.

1 minute ago, Koko78 said:

Yeah, I was impressed with the episode. They actually advanced stories and still found time to bring some much-needed 'heat' to both Andrade and Rick O'Shay (both performed amazingly in the gauntlet match), and the Rollins/Lesnar fight. Now if they can just find something for Sami to do, other than get pinned in 12 seconds...

Though I'm not happy they brought back mid-match commercial breaks. Was nice while it lasted, though.

Going to be interesting how they get the 48/7-11 European Television Championship off Maria. Can't imagine it going over well having a legitimately pregnant woman take a bump.

I have heard people bitching about the fact that they stopped doing stuff during the commercial breaks because it made stuff predictable, I think they found a good balance on that end in this episode.  And I am a big Ricochet (Prince Puma!) fan so was glad to see him and Andrade get some shine. Some people I know think Sami may be getting a face turn, we will see.

As for Maria, I think the idea is brilliant, slows down the constant chaos of what has been the 24/7 belt, and also could allow for some creative ways to take it off her. My guess is Mike will have enough and pin her while she is sleeping or something

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

I have heard people bitching about the fact that they stopped doing stuff during the commercial breaks because it made stuff predictable, I think they found a good balance on that end in this episode.  And I am a big Ricochet (Prince Puma!) fan so was glad to see him and Andrade get some shine. Some people I know think Sami may be getting a face turn, we will see.

As for Maria, I think the idea is brilliant, slows down the constant chaos of what has been the 24/7 belt, and also could allow for some creative ways to take it off her. My guess is Mike will have enough and pin her while she is sleeping or something

They have everything scheduled down to the minute, they can figure out how to time matches and interview/promo segments around commercial breaks. I agree that they were getting a bit silly with the 2-out-of-3 falls matches to break things up.

I don't disagree that putting it on Maria is a good choice. It gives her character more reasons to be detested (she is a great heel, especially with the emasculation of her husband), and it allows for some creative way to get it off her - without her actually having to take any bumps. The 24/7 championship has been so great as a comedy belt, because McMahon is letting the performers show their creativity.