WWE/Professional Wrestling

Bray Wyatt

56 minutes ago, njbuff said:

They can't be serious about matching the Undertaker and Goldberg at this point in their lives.

This should have been done at Wrestlemania 20, with the return of the Dead Man vs Goldberg, not a 54 year old wrestling a 53 year old. Big waste.

But, it's typical hot garbage from a waste product like the WWE.

I can see AEW being a real threat to WWE, especially in the light of the Jon Moxley article posted above.

I'm about half way through "Double or Nothing". I downloaded it and am watching it when I have time. I was/am completely unfamiliar with AEW's product. I know of Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks, and I am aware of their attempt to create a viable alternative to the WWE.

I'll tell you this: From what little I've already watched, I DO believe they could pose a threat to WWE. Their mission statement ("The PEOPLE own wrestling") and their stated goals of providing medical benefits and better conditions for their workers could wind up causing a lot of WWE wrestlers to want to jump ship. John Moxley's defection may be the first in a long line of them.

The thing is, some real competition is EXACTLY what WWE needs, and is what may FORCE them to break out of their slump. It's infuriating that they're even IN a slump, since they have one of the best total rosters of talent ever seen in the wrestling industry. They just can't get out of their own way. They poached all the best indie wrestlers from all over the world...just to push them down the card in favor of Shane McMahon, the Miz, Baron Corbin, and the corpse of the Undertaker. Sad.

7 hours ago, njbuff said:

They can't be serious about matching the Undertaker and Goldberg at this point in their lives.

This should have been done at Wrestlemania 20, with the return of the Dead Man vs Goldberg, not a 54 year old wrestling a 53 year old. Big waste.

But, it's typical hot garbage from a waste product like the WWE.

I can see AEW being a real threat to WWE, especially in the light of the Jon Moxley article posted above.

It's not a waste, considering where the match is taking place. Undertaker/Goldberg isn't for regular WWE fans; it's for the Saudi prince who is paying Vince millions to see the show.

8 hours ago, Logic said:

I'm about half way through "Double or Nothing". I downloaded it and am watching it when I have time. I was/am completely unfamiliar with AEW's product. I know of Cody Rhodes and the Young Bucks, and I am aware of their attempt to create a viable alternative to the WWE.

I'll tell you this: From what little I've already watched, I DO believe they could pose a threat to WWE. Their mission statement ("The PEOPLE own wrestling") and their stated goals of providing medical benefits and better conditions for their workers could wind up causing a lot of WWE wrestlers to want to jump ship. John Moxley's defection may be the first in a long line of them.

The thing is, some real competition is EXACTLY what WWE needs, and is what may FORCE them to break out of their slump. It's infuriating that they're even IN a slump, since they have one of the best total rosters of talent ever seen in the wrestling industry. They just can't get out of their own way. They poached all the best indie wrestlers from all over the world...just to push them down the card in favor of Shane McMahon, the Miz, Baron Corbin, and the corpse of the Undertaker. Sad.

Double or Nothing kicked butt! Cody and Dustin Rhodes tore it down. Kenny Omega is my favorite of the bunch-- the stuff I saw of him in New Japan were some of the best wrestling matches I've ever seen. Jaw dropping I can't believe what I'm watching kind of stuff! Particularly his matches with Okada if you ever get the chance. I'm excited for there to be another major promotion on TV again and for the country to get to know these guys.

4 minutes ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Double or Nothing kicked butt! Cody and Dustin Rhodes tore it down. Kenny Omega is my favorite of the bunch-- the stuff I saw of him in New Japan were some of the best wrestling matches I've ever seen. Jaw dropping I can't believe what I'm watching kind of stuff! Particularly his matches with Okada if you ever get the chance. I'm excited for there to be another major promotion on TV again and for the country to get to know these guys.

Cody and Dustin told a great STORY in the ring. That match was unimpeachably great.

If I have a critique of most of the other matches on the card, though, it's that they didn't always make sense. They didn't always tell a great or even logical story. I'm an old school wrestling fan, I guess, but non-stop "spot fests" do nothing for me. No matter how cool your arsenal of moves is, if there is just a CONSTANT barrage of insane moves and no-selling, everything loses its impact and specialness. I need a story, I need logical progression, I need quality selling of moves. Just doing a springboard reverse death valley driver followed by a 450 splash through a table does nothing for me if I don't care about the guys in the ring or the story they're telling. My major critique of modern wrestling, be it ROH, NXT, or AEW, is that I need a little less "sick moves, bruh!" and a little more logic and story and feeling. Cody and Dustin is the perfect example. It was not chock full of revolutionary maneuvers or cutting edge offense, but you BELIEVED it as a viewer. You were right there with those guys, feeling what they wanted you to feel. THAT'S pro wrestling to me. 

I'll give AEW's next major card a shot and will keep tabs on them. Between ROH, NXT, AEW, and NJPW, fans of work-rate wrestling have perhaps NEVER had a better selection of stuff to watch.

10 hours ago, Logic said:

Cody and Dustin told a great STORY in the ring. That match was unimpeachably great.

If I have a critique of most of the other matches on the card, though, it's that they didn't always make sense. They didn't always tell a great or even logical story. I'm an old school wrestling fan, I guess, but non-stop "spot fests" do nothing for me. No matter how cool your arsenal of moves is, if there is just a CONSTANT barrage of insane moves and no-selling, everything loses its impact and specialness. I need a story, I need logical progression, I need quality selling of moves. Just doing a springboard reverse death valley driver followed by a 450 splash through a table does nothing for me if I don't care about the guys in the ring or the story they're telling. My major critique of modern wrestling, be it ROH, NXT, or AEW, is that I need a little less "sick moves, bruh!" and a little more logic and story and feeling. Cody and Dustin is the perfect example. It was not chock full of revolutionary maneuvers or cutting edge offense, but you BELIEVED it as a viewer. You were right there with those guys, feeling what they wanted you to feel. THAT'S pro wrestling to me. 

I'll give AEW's next major card a shot and will keep tabs on them. Between ROH, NXT, AEW, and NJPW, fans of work-rate wrestling have perhaps NEVER had a better selection of stuff to watch.

Yeah that's why Cody and Dustin were the best match, I legit cried when Cody said to him "I need my big brother." 

The Young Bucks are basically spot monkeys, to me. I feel that there's room for one of these matches on a big PPV card where they just go crazy and wow you with acrobatics. Think WCW's cruiserweight division back in the day. Wrestling should be a variety show with a little bit of everything. The Young Bucks do some fun spotfests but a lot of the time it won't have flawless psychology. They won't take the time to sell moves long enough to give them maximum impact for the audience, and it turns into crazy spot KICKOUT! Crazy spot KICKOUT! Crazy spot KICKOUT! But again I feel it's great fun to have one of those on a card.

Omega can do a lot of different stuff but is also a master storyteller, as I see it. The matches with Okada I referenced were usually ~60 minute marathons where they did big moves but also took the time to sell and tell a proper story-- really great matches all-around.

1 hour ago, 2018 Our Year For Sure said:

Yeah that's why Cody and Dustin were the best match, I legit cried when Cody said to him "I need my big brother." 

The Young Bucks are basically spot monkeys, to me. I feel that there's room for one of these matches on a big PPV card where they just go crazy and wow you with acrobatics. Think WCW's cruiserweight division back in the day. Wrestling should be a variety show with a little bit of everything. The Young Bucks do some fun spotfests but a lot of the time it won't have flawless psychology. They won't take the time to sell moves long enough to give them maximum impact for the audience, and it turns into crazy spot KICKOUT! Crazy spot KICKOUT! Crazy spot KICKOUT! But again I feel it's great fun to have one of those on a card.

Omega can do a lot of different stuff but is also a master storyteller, as I see it. The matches with Okada I referenced were usually ~60 minute marathons where they did big moves but also took the time to sell and tell a proper story-- really great matches all-around.

Yes. You nailed my feelings pretty well. Wrestling SHOULD be a variety show. It's why Nitro in  its heyday was the best show going. Cruiserweights, technical wrestlers, brawlers, talkers, managers, stables, valets, the whole deal. When an entire card features only Spot Fests, it gets boring. Likewise, when an entire card features only 'roided up, oily WWE guys like Randy Orton or Batista, it also becomes boring. 

If AEW mixes it up a bit more, I'll be more likely to watch. They did an okay job at Double or Nothing, but as I said, a little too spotty for my taste for much of the card. 

Overall, the direction that wrestling is going now is positive, in my opinion. I just don't want the story and the ART of it to get lost. NJPW, for instance, does a phenomenal job mixing workrate, high spots, art, and story. They're the gold standard right now, in my opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sounds like the match was ok until Goldberg hit his head on the ringpost (trying to go shoulder-first). Apparently went to crap after that. Probably didn't help that 'Taker dropped Goldberg on his head during a botched Tombstone either.

These two should probably stop wrestling now.

Taker is the greatest ever.

It's high time to stop dusting him off to try and get ratings. The man is 54 and has had A LOT of brutal matches. It's over.

Dedicate an entire RAW show to his retirement and get it over with already and STOP DUSTING HIM OFF.

Edited by njbuff

14 hours ago, The Jerk said:

giphy.gif

That was the worst match ever. It's a shame. Lol at Goldberg hugging his leg. Seriously though, these guys should have stopped wrestling a while ago. Was hoping Takers last match was against Roman a few years back. Thought that was a good way for Taker to hang it up.

There was no way that match should have gone on that long. Both at their age cant go long anyways, then add in the 101 degrees it was near the ring and its no surprise they fell off as it went on. I knew when he tried to go for the jack hammer it was going to be bad. I thought they would have called an audible at that point, but nope. What a ***** show that was

Losing the streak was so stupid. That was his storyline that no other wrestler will ever achieve . Once he lost that he's become an old guy that's hung around too long. 

Edited by The Jerk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, The Jerk said:

Losing the streak was so stupid. That was his storyline that no other wrestler will ever achieve . Once he lost that he's become an old guy that's hung around too long. 

I didn't see a problem with the streak coming to an end, more about how they went about it. But that should have been the end for him and should have been his retirement match.

Anyone catch the 2 wrestling series' on Viceland TV, Dark Side of the Ring and The Wrestlers?  One is about stories of old wrestlers and events and the other is a modern look at the independent circuits.  They are both really entertaining and it seems that there's still a big base of professional wrestling fans still out there

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, The Poojer said:

Anyone catch the 2 wrestling series' on Viceland TV, Dark Side of the Ring and The Wrestlers?  One is about stories of old wrestlers and events and the other is a modern look at the independent circuits.  They are both really entertaining and it seems that there's still a big base of professional wrestling fans still out there

I havent watched them personally but have heard good things about Dark Side of the Ring

• Like (+1) 1

After watching the AEW event, I became curious about Kenny Omega and what makes people say he's the best wrestler in the world.

As such, when I get home to work today, I plan to watch the first Omega vs Okada match from NJPW. I was GOING to just watch the most recent one (the "seven star" match), but I figured I'd better just watch the whole series of matches between these two instead. It's my understanding that they're ALL excellent, and I know that in Japanese wrestling, matches often build off of and have references to past matches. So I'm just gonna do the whole darn series. Excited to see what all the buzz is about with these dudes.