WWE/Professional Wrestling

Bray Wyatt

6 hours ago, The Senator said:

Captain Lou Albano, Cindy Lauper, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Mean Gene Okerland...

Now that’s when Pro Wrestling was real ?

What ever became of The Fabulous Moolah?

Moolah was still doing stuff on TV in the early 2000s for WWE. Cant remember if she had recently died though....

2 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Glad to see that Rochester native Chyna will be going into the WWE HoF this year (though i think she should have gone in on her own but I think this was the only way they were going to do it)

She never repped Rochester, though, so it doesn't feel like a hometown win.

Glad to see her be inducted. Definitely deserves it.

19 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Rhondas recent promo, work or trying to get out of WWE?

I'm leaning towards a work by the WWE, playing an angle where she is going to try to make herself out to be a 'real fighter' while the rest are actors faking it, maybe leading to a 'real' fight at wrestlemania....

It's obviously a work, but it doesn't make much sense from a story perspective. All she did was bury whomever eventually beats her for the title.

Though maybe other forms of entertainment should take the cue! I can see Avengers: Endgame starting out with Robert Downey Junior saying that he's going off script by telling all of the actors whose characters were disintegrated/stranded on other planets to just call an uber and show up at the studio; that he's just an actor who is paid to read lines and wear a gaudy suit on camera; and that he could kick Josh Brolin's ass at any time before the end of the movie.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 1

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Wonder what peoples thoughts are on this to:

It was interesting, but I don't think it was a completely unbiased look. Vince is an asshat, of that there is no question, and there is a very dubious legal standing to consider the performers 'independent contractors' (of course, no one has the balls to challenge Vince in court.) However, the performers are going into the relationship with eyes wide open. No one is forcing them to sign WWF/E contracts.

The Big Show had, I think, a very good response: https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/04/big-show-john-oliver-wwe-wrestlemania/

Admittedly, he was toeing the company line, but he's not that wrong. Guys like CM Punk do have legitimate gripes about how they were treated and forced to perform (though even Punk admits he was being stupid.)

It is also worth noting that the WWE has substantially changed its style to be a lot more safe for the performers. Oliver got into it a little bit, in talking about no more head shots, but Vince also change the in-ring style too. There are a lot of moves that are banned outright (piledrivers, for example), and several others that are only allowed by very experienced performers who can be trusted to pull off safely. They got rid of most of the really crazy dangerous stuff that is still pulled off in the Indies and in Japan.

If the WWE were smart, they'd create some 503(c) non-profit "Legacy Program" to assist some of the old vets with their physical issues - to go along with the drug rehab WWE already provides former employees. They would get a nice PR bump, and create a tax dodge in the process.

25 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

It was interesting, but I don't think it was a completely unbiased look. Vince is an asshat, of that there is no question, and there is a very dubious legal standing to consider the performers 'independent contractors' (of course, no one has the balls to challenge Vince in court.) However, the performers are going into the relationship with eyes wide open. No one is forcing them to sign WWF/E contracts.

The Big Show had, I think, a very good response: https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/04/big-show-john-oliver-wwe-wrestlemania/

Admittedly, he was toeing the company line, but he's not that wrong. Guys like CM Punk do have legitimate gripes about how they were treated and forced to perform (though even Punk admits he was being stupid.)

It is also worth noting that the WWE has substantially changed its style to be a lot more safe for the performers. Oliver got into it a little bit, in talking about no more head shots, but Vince also change the in-ring style too. There are a lot of moves that are banned outright (piledrivers, for example), and several others that are only allowed by very experienced performers who can be trusted to pull off safely. They got rid of most of the really crazy dangerous stuff that is still pulled off in the Indies and in Japan.

If the WWE were smart, they'd create some 503(c) non-profit "Legacy Program" to assist some of the old vets with their physical issues - to go along with the drug rehab WWE already provides former employees. They would get a nice PR bump, and create a tax dodge in the process.

Yeah I think Oliver raises a question that has been brought up before, but he also uses examples that are from before the new wellness program they created and left out some of the steps they have taken. He doesnt really give a full picture. I would be interested to hear more from the actual wrestlers themselves and what they think, particularly people who havent made it high up the card to get their thoughts, especially about the independent contractor vs employee debate

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 12:05 PM, Bray Wyatt said:

Glad to see that Rochester native Chyna will be going into the WWE HoF this year (though i think she should have gone in on her own but I think this was the only way they were going to do it)

I liked Chyna, but she was no Fabulous Moolah!

Edited by The Senator

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You mean the fabulous Moolah who kept her female wrestlers as debt slaves who couldn’t get out of their contract 

I know nothing about that so, if you say it’s so, I can’t refute you.

I just remember when ‘Pro Wrestling’ was a lot more fun...