WWE/Professional Wrestling

Bray Wyatt

The broken Hardy's were the biggest thing IMPACT had going and they were let go. A perfect example of why the company has been a total failure.

I'd really like to see them back in WWE however ROH is a solid alternative.

EDIT - Now there's rumors that the deal is not long term.

Edited by KermitMcDermott

According to PWInsider.com, O’Neal has said that negotiations between himself and WWE are back on. O’Neal said:

“I’ve talked to somebody high up in the organization, and they – we’re back talking again. I just want the people to know it had nothing to do with me, despite what you hear.”

Hoping this gets done.

Edited by KermitMcDermott

one of my bigger complaints is the lack of talent....one night after a pay per view event, big cass and enzo are wrestling again against anderson and gallow....too quick a turnaround, you need to let these things fester to build up the rivalry....and bringing out seamus and cesario doesn't help....bring out lesser teams to wrestle

one of my bigger complaints is the lack of talent....one night after a pay per view event, big cass and enzo are wrestling again against anderson and gallow....too quick a turnaround, you need to let these things fester to build up the rivalry....and bringing out seamus and cesario doesn't help....bring out lesser teams to wrestle

There are other teams/people they could build up, creative (particularly on raw) seems to not be able to build a mid and lower card. I'm not sure it's a lack of talent as it is the booking

Professional wrestling today takes itself too serious, IMO. Believe it or not. I'm not a wrestling fan but the wrestlers of yesterday were more actors, less professional athletes.

You legitimately thought Macho Man and the Ultimate Warrior were completely out of their minds.

The guys today are more professional athletes than they are actors.

Back in the day you had a guy with a parrot and gigantic snake (Koko B Ware, Jake Roberts), guys who's final move was cutting hair, (Brutus the Barber) guys who carried lumber as a weapon (Hacksaw), guys who carried instruments as weapons (Honky Tonk Man) and ridiculous Cold War stereotypes like Sergeant Slaugter, the Iron Shiek and Nikolai Volkov.

Edited by dpberr

Professional wrestling today takes itself too serious, IMO. Believe it or not. I'm not a wrestling fan but the wrestlers of yesterday were more actors, less professional athletes.

You legitimately thought Macho Man and the Ultimate Warrior were completely out of their minds.

The guys today are more professional athletes than they are actors.

Back in the day you had a guy with a parrot and gigantic snake (Koko B Ware, Jake Roberts), guys who's final move was cutting hair, (Brutus the Barber) guys who carried lumber as a weapon (Hacksaw), guys who carried instruments as weapons (Honky Tonk Man) and ridiculous Cold War stereotypes like Sergeant Slaugter, the Iron Shiek and Nikolai Volkov.

They have had to cut things like that out mainly due to concussions etc. Sting used to have his bat, I think that was the last real weapon that was consistently carried to the ring unless I am mistaken.

Chair shots are not done to the head any more, they are either jabs to the stomach or straight across the back

I think about the year-long storyline that WCW used to build up to Sting vs. Hogan, the only time Sting drew truly big money...to build it they took Sting out of the ring for over a year. That could never happen in today's environment. Imagine Roman Reigns or Cena or someone not injured, not filming a movie, but actively there building a storyline for a year even while not wrestling and not necessarily showing up every single week. It would never happen- today stories do not get that time to fester because the company is publically traded and constantly thinking about what numbers they'll have to show the shareholders THIS quarter. They need Roman Reigns on television and wrestling every single week.

In the early years of Hulkamania, Hogan never wrestled on TV at all. If you wanted to see Hogan wrestle you ordered the PPV. It kept him fresh and kept his matches feeling like a big deal. And he wasn't an Undertaker-like part timer, he was in the Reigns chair carrying the company. Now WWE has 3 hours of Raw to fill every week and you better believe their top full-time stars are wrestling on every show. The result is we see the same matches over and over again (if memory serves, Dolph Ziggler and Kofi Kingston once worked 15+ televised matches in one year), and wrestlers get stale in a year when it used to take a decade.

I saw Jessie Ventura interviewed somewhere talking about how he hates the way they stand in the ring face to face and talk and look at each other for 20 minutes. Before there was so much TV time to fill in-between the big matches, that was never the case. The viewer never got to see that. Wrestlers, matches and storylines were kept fresh. If you wanted to see them face-to-face in the ring you ordered the PPV and watched the match.

Some of it is the natural way the game has changed as media has changed, some of it is WWE not having the incentive or desire to take risks or shake anything up. Even if more 'seasoned' fans are getting bored, they're not too worried about it. They proved during the Cena years they don't necessarily need everyone to be happy when they're marketing the show to children.

Off topic but what gets me the most is how they seem to hold people down. Cesaro for example is an absolute beast. Like Daniel Bryan he was known as a top talent before WWE even called him. He had a 2 of 3 Falls match with Sami Zayn in NXT a few years ago that was just incredible. He's the kind of guy, like a Bryan, who you just let him go out there and wrestle amazing matches and he will get over with the audience just by working his ass off and showing people a wrestling match like they've never seen before. Now Raw has expanded to 3 hours and there's time to burn, but they refuse to just unleash the guy. They refuse to just say "we're going to book you in 20-minute matches with good opponents, go out there and show off your world-class talent." It would be beyond easy to get Cesaro over, its all in the wrestling, he does it himself. They refuse to unleash him. He's always saddled with the Real American thing or the Sheamus thing or he's inexplicably kept off TV or he's jobbing, working an 8-minute match and losing. It seems like they have a few handpicked people who they want to be stars, and if you're not a chosen one then the company is prepared to pull your legs out from under you to keep you in the midcard, and keep the kids focused on Roman Reigns and the like.

Paul Heyman said on the Stone Cold podcast that Vince once told him, "all your money is right here, Paul," and he outlined just his face. To Vince, the face is the moneymaker...if you don't have the face then the office doesn't get behind you as a big star who can draw money and carry the business, no matter how well you can act, how much fans like you, how good you are in the ring. Even if wrestling fans all love you, you don't have the face to put on a poster or on a talk show to draw over the crossover fans, the mainstream non-wrestling viewers. So avid wrestling fans who have already seen the pretty faces come and go, and have come to appreciate talent over size or looks, are naturally going to be disappointed by who they decide to push.

There's stuff I like don't get me wrong, I try to just appreciate the talent. They have an unbelievable talent roster in my opinion.

/rant :lol:

They have had to cut things like that out mainly due to concussions etc. Sting used to have his bat, I think that was the last real weapon that was consistently carried to the ring unless I am mistaken.

Chair shots are not done to the head any more, they are either jabs to the stomach or straight across the back

That might have been Trip's sledgehammer that was the last one brought out. I forget when the last time he used it was...might have been a Lesnar match.

I saw Jessie Ventura interviewed somewhere talking about how he hates the way they stand in the ring face to face and talk and look at each other for 20 minutes. Before there was so much TV time to fill in-between the big matches, that was never the case. The viewer never got to see that. Wrestlers, matches and storylines were kept fresh. If you wanted to see them face-to-face in the ring you ordered the PPV and watched the match.

South Park did an episode where their entire wrestling show was skits and it was very popular. Once they actually started fighting for real, everyone left.

A few pro wrestler encounters

When I was a teenager i was a meat cutter for golden coral steakhouse......as I am cleaning the salad bar and who comes in but Koko B Ware and his wife

Now....compared to other wrestler's he looked small but let me tell you....that guy is huge. He was very cordial and wife was really nice and I cut them a steak special and took good care of them (he did not have his parrot at the time)

While up at Universal Studios "The Rock" was filiming the scorpion king and took some time to talk to me a bit.....cool guy

In the beginning stages of my daughter's acting (when you start out in this you do a lot of non paid stuff in indie films) my daughter met a actress named Dee Dee Bigelow........who was the sister of the pro wrestler "Bam Bam Bigelow".....a lot of older actress/young actress mentoring went on with that (the indie film had the rodrigez kids)

In the last years of my daughter's acting career we were in the final auditions of a movie that was going to feature several professional wrestler's....this was right before her car accident that she never returned back to Hollywood from......I was dissapointed because I really wanted to meet several of the actors and wrestler's that were going to be in the cast.

Edited by John from Hemet