Are there any racist institutions? How and why.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2017 at 5:13 PM, DoYouSeeWhatHappensLarry said:

If we're going to discuss complex issues, we should treat them with the respect they deserve.

Although, you've provided a nice example of why these issues never seem to go anyway: the tacit implication that if something is not actively, aggressively and explicitly racist (eg. Jim Crow) then it isnt racist.

So in other words, anything and everything is racists when I deem it beneficial to my argument or situation in life.  Got it.  Answers a ton of questions.  

34 minutes ago, Foxx said:

#1 overall pick Kunte Kinte, expected to go to the Cincinnati Bengals, was chosen but then traded to the Savannah Auctioneers and given a lifetime contract. Expected to be chosen next is Nat Turner, roundly described as the fastest man alive. Festus Calhoun, known for giving black men free rides, says that guy beat me to the Mason Dixon Line and I was on a horse!

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

#1 overall pick Kunte Kinte, expected to go to the Cincinnati Bengals, was chosen but then traded to the Savannah Auctioneers and given a lifetime contract. Expected to be chosen next is Nat Turner, roundly described as the fastest man alive. Festus Calhoun, known for giving black men free rides, says that guy beat me to the Mason Dixon Line and I was on a horse!

i'd be willing to bet that by the time the draft arrives, this will change.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are parents an institution? 

By 
Feb. 4, 2020 at 8:10 a.m. EST

Adrian Iraola and his family are all too familiar with the ugly sentiments that have come their way since he immigrated to the United States four decades ago.

On Monday, he was telling a crowd of parents in Saline, Mich., about the harm these kinds of remarks had inflicted on his son yet again — how classmates’ taunts of “taco,” “enchilada” and “dirty Mexican” had left the high schooler in tears.

“I went to his bedroom to say good night,” Iraola said, turning to an audience that had been discussing diversity and inclusion in schools. “He was crying because of the abuse that he was enduring in this school system.”

Suddenly, the man behind him interjected.

“Then why didn’t you stay in Mexico?” he asked.

The audience broke into a collective gasp, according to a video captured by MLive.com. Heads turned around to face the man, who later identified himself as Tom Burtell. (He did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Washington Post early Tuesday.)

AD

“You need to leave,” one woman in the crowd told him. “That is disgusting,” shouted another.

The exchange, captured on both video and audio, has rocked the town of Saline, a mostly white suburb in eastern Michigan that had already been grappling with an instance of racism between students. In a Snapchat group between high school football players, two teammates had used racial slurs and talked of “WHITE POWER” earlier this year, the Ann Arbor News reported.

Adrian Iraola, left, speaks at a meeting for parents hosted by Saline Area Schools in Saline, Mich., on Monday. Iraola, who immigrated to the United States in 1980, was heckled while speaking about discrimination faced by his children. (MLive/YouTube) Adrian Iraola, left, speaks at a meeting for parents hosted by Saline Area Schools in Saline, Mich., on Monday. Iraola, who immigrated to the United States in 1980, was heckled while speaking about discrimination faced by his children. (MLive/YouTube)

Monday’s meeting was meant to address the group chat and explore how Saline schools could move forward. Yet it also provided a firsthand example of some of the issues plaguing the school system, Iraola told The Washington Post.

“We wanted to tell the audience that this [kind of discrimination] was alive and well,” he said. “We were very surprised to see that, right then and there, is the ignorance manifested by those comments."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/02/04/schools-racism-mexico/?itid=hp_ed-picks_schoolracism0204%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Are parents an institution? 

By 
Feb. 4, 2020 at 8:10 a.m. EST

Adrian Iraola and his family are all too familiar with the ugly sentiments that have come their way since he immigrated to the United States four decades ago.

On Monday, he was telling a crowd of parents in Saline, Mich., about the harm these kinds of remarks had inflicted on his son yet again — how classmates’ taunts of “taco,” “enchilada” and “dirty Mexican” had left the high schooler in tears.

“I went to his bedroom to say good night,” Iraola said, turning to an audience that had been discussing diversity and inclusion in schools. “He was crying because of the abuse that he was enduring in this school system.”

Suddenly, the man behind him interjected.

“Then why didn’t you stay in Mexico?” he asked.

The audience broke into a collective gasp, according to a video captured by MLive.com. Heads turned around to face the man, who later identified himself as Tom Burtell. (He did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Washington Post early Tuesday.)

AD

“You need to leave,” one woman in the crowd told him. “That is disgusting,” shouted another.

The exchange, captured on both video and audio, has rocked the town of Saline, a mostly white suburb in eastern Michigan that had already been grappling with an instance of racism between students. In a Snapchat group between high school football players, two teammates had used racial slurs and talked of “WHITE POWER” earlier this year, the Ann Arbor News reported.

Adrian Iraola, left, speaks at a meeting for parents hosted by Saline Area Schools in Saline, Mich., on Monday. Iraola, who immigrated to the United States in 1980, was heckled while speaking about discrimination faced by his children. (MLive/YouTube) Adrian Iraola, left, speaks at a meeting for parents hosted by Saline Area Schools in Saline, Mich., on Monday. Iraola, who immigrated to the United States in 1980, was heckled while speaking about discrimination faced by his children. (MLive/YouTube)

Monday’s meeting was meant to address the group chat and explore how Saline schools could move forward. Yet it also provided a firsthand example of some of the issues plaguing the school system, Iraola told The Washington Post.

“We wanted to tell the audience that this [kind of discrimination] was alive and well,” he said. “We were very surprised to see that, right then and there, is the ignorance manifested by those comments."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/02/04/schools-racism-mexico/?itid=hp_ed-picks_schoolracism0204%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans

OK, so instead of spending time here you could be out giving lectures at schools about discrimination?