"Bridge" QBs are Worthless

ndirish1978

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying you have a bridge QB is basically an admission that your QB isn't good enough. That type of QB serves two purposes:

1) Sell false hope to the fans i.e. remain competitive for 3 months.

2) Retain the jobs of those that are unable to find the right QB.

And Romo is your long term solution at what he will cost in cap and assets? He is not EVEN a bridge qb much less a long term starter

Long term solution? Is Brady NE's long term solution? Is Rodgers gonna be in GB 10 years from now? What about Ben? He the long term guy in Pitt moving forward?

The league is separated by guys who can play, and guys who can't. Paying a mediocre guy to play mediocre football is a waste. The OP gets it.

Edited by FireChan

Long term solution? Is Brady NE's long term solution? Is Rodgers gonna be in GB 10 years from now? What about Ben? He the long term guy in Pitt moving forward?

The league is separated by guys who can play, and guys who can't. Paying a mediocre guy to play mediocre football is a waste. The OP gets it.

Ben is actually starting to accumulate injuries.......so I would not be suprised to see Pitt start to think about the road ahead....

Rogers and Brady have shown NOWHERE the injury history of Romo......and if you know anything about football a back injury is literally the worst injury you can start having.

And your right...the league IS separated by guys that can play.....Tyrod can in fact play and is a NFL starter....there is a further separation by franchise guys of which there are about 5 and then it goes down into tiers

And whateveer the teir......there are simply not enough starting caliber qbs to go to 32 nfl teams....that is why Tyrod will get a shot somewhere else if we release him....its that simple

Saying you have a bridge QB is basically an admission that your QB isn't good enough. That type of QB serves two purposes:

1) Sell false hope to the fans i.e. remain competitive for 3 months.

2) Retain the jobs of those that are unable to find the right QB.

I think there is some truth to this

If Tyrod is maintained there is going to be some discussion regarding starting experience.....lack of quality targets....and the fact that he could improve....but a SMART nfl front office would give themselves options by continuing to stock their shelve at that position.

Ben is actually starting to accumulate injuries.......so I would not be suprised to see Pitt start to think about the road ahead....

Rogers and Brady have shown NOWHERE the injury history of Romo......and if you know anything about football a back injury is literally the worst injury you can start having.

And your right...the league IS separated by guys that can play.....Tyrod can in fact play and is a NFL starter....there is a further separation by franchise guys of which there are about 5 and then it goes down into tiers

And whateveer the teir......there are simply not enough starting caliber qbs to go to 32 nfl teams....that is why Tyrod will get a shot somewhere else if we release him....its that simple

I think there is some truth to this

If Tyrod is maintained there is going to be some discussion regarding starting experience.....lack of quality targets....and the fact that he could improve....but a SMART nfl front office would give themselves options by continuing to stock their shelve at that position.

Starting to think about the road ahead is what EVERY team does John, regardless of the talent of starter. Which is why a bridge QB is nonsense. Get a guy who can play the best, and get a guy under him in case he needs to take over.

Brady is 40 and you think he's not a concern to be done in the league next year? :lol: :lol:

Edited by FireChan

Can't remember a time where I agreed with you. I do in this case. I'd MUCH rather play cardale and see what we have than take up cap space with a Josh McCown, Fitz, Foles etc. Sign whichever veteran QB that will take close to the minimum so he can mentor Cardale and, in his mind, get the call if Cardale fails. The worst case scenario imo, is to pay a QB 5mill+ to be below average. That money could go towards building blocks for the franchise.

If they want to get Romo, that's a different story. He has the potential (if healthy of course) to help us get to the playoffs and more. When healthy, he's a very good QB imo. Not elite, but very good. I don't consider TT to be a very good QB. Just a guy that's exciting and might be able to get us to the playoffs at some point

Can't remember a time where I agreed with you. I do in this case. I'd MUCH rather play cardale and see what we have than take up cap space with a Josh McCown, Fitz, Foles etc. Sign whichever veteran QB that will take close to the minimum so he can mentor Cardale and, in his mind, get the call if Cardale fails. The worst case scenario imo, is to pay a QB 5mill+ to be below average. That money could go towards building blocks for the franchise.

If they want to get Romo, that's a different story. He has the potential (if healthy of course) to help us get to the playoffs and more. When healthy, he's a very good QB imo. Not elite, but very good. I don't consider TT to be a very good QB. Just a guy that's exciting and might be able to get us to the playoffs at some point

did you see the last hit romo took?

you do realize that back injuries like his finish careers right?

Can we please stop with the illogical "we should trade for: x,y, z player cause they are mediocre and cheaper than Tyrod" foolishness. Bridge players are worthless, they are just good enough to get you 5-7 wins and keep you out of a top 5 pick and nowhere near good enough to get this team to a championship. If you don't believe TT can be "the guy", draft someone else to be "the guy" this year or next and play the rookie if we take one or Cardale this year if we wait til next year to draft one, he will either sink or swim and we will know what we have. I'm tired of all these half measures.

Worthless might be a little strong. Dilfer was a bridge QB with Baltimore and they won the Super Bowl. Not saying that is normal, but there are some successful teams that have leaned on bridge QBs.

did you see the last hit romo took?

you do realize that back injuries like his finish careers right?

Obviously. That's why I said, if healthy. I realize he might get hurt again. I also realize that when he's healthy, he's MUCH better than tyrod and is a legit franchise QB. Do you realize Tyrod is never going to lead our team to a super bowl?

Obviously. That's why I said, if healthy. I realize he might get hurt again. I also realize that when he's healthy, he's MUCH better than tyrod and is a legit franchise QB. Do you realize Tyrod is never going to lead our team to a super bowl?

Why should i realize that TT is never gonna lead the team to a Super Bowl when I dont know anything of the sort

this team is gonna go as far as its defense takes it.....because the offense does in fact score points

No b.c he is unknown... A bridge QB you already know the limits and you basically know the outcome.

I look at the guy and I see EJ all over again. Big, strong arm, doesn't know how to read a defense, and is an inaccurate passer.What gives you comfort that's he's got the potential to play at the NFL level?

I look at the guy and I see EJ all over again. Big, strong arm, doesn't know how to read a defense, and is an inaccurate passer.What gives you comfort that's he's got the potential to play at the NFL level?

EJ never got over being a nervous player in general. Jones was laughing with Jet defensive players in his first regular season action. His non-nervous personality gives me comfort that his play won't mirror EJ in that respect.

Cardale Jones is really the perfect one year option. Either he locks down the position and is seen as the other steal of the 2016 draft (Prescott being the first one), or he'll become the very cheap "bridge QB" to the 2018 draft where there's a lot of buzz about that QB class being a great one.

As the OP stated, there's just no point in bringing in a game managing veteran as a starter to try to get to an 8-8 season. Let the kid play and if he doesn't have it, one year is not a long wait.

Edited by 1billsfan