"Bridge" QBs are Worthless

ndirish1978

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we started Cardale this year while waiting to draft a QB next, wouldn't that make Cardale the bridge QB?

This isn't an argument about the semantics of what a bridge QB is, I'm saying it is a dumb idea to advocate bringing in some middling guy from the outside when we already have a middling QB with at least some upside. Alex Smith, Nick Foles, these guys are not taking us to the SB, I'm tired of the "let's get rid of TT for $ and start some other middling QB", if you don't want him, then bringin in the youth movement

Edited by ndirish1978

Who said guarantee? You have a better shot at a franchise QB who is widely regarded as a top 5 pick. I doubt I am telling you something new here, unless you believe you have the skill to identify franchise QBs at any stage in the draft. If you did, I suppose you may be actually making those picks rather than posting on a message board though.

Yeah, it would take a NFL GM caliber of talent spotting to have identified a guy like R Wilson in the draft. No way an average poster could have stumbled onto that conclusion.

Oh, wait..

Ready enough to win us about the same amount of games we would have won with Tyrod taking into consideration what we've seen from both of them to this point - about 2 games. We probably go 5-11 or 6-10 instead of 7-9 or 8-8 but we haven't invested a huge cap hit on someone the FO doesn't seem to believe is "the guy". That said, if they think TT can grow into that, then pay him. I just don't like all the talk about bringing in a bunch of has-beens when we already know what kind of QBs they are. As a FO either you believe TT is the guy or you bounce him to save money and just get young guys in here.

What exactly have you seen from Cardale Jones that led you to make this conclusion? He has attempted 11 passes and one of those was caught by an opposing player. How is that "ready enough to win us about the same amount of games" as with TT?

Whose got a bridge wife or gf right now ?

How about one that's occassionally the Eiffel Tower?

Ready enough for what?

To start. Prescott, Wentz and Seimian showed that the jump to starter isn't as gigantic as NFL fans sometimes think it is. Jones said he was ready to start the last few games, so if he's clearly not overwhelmed and he'll be fine to start and let the true QB developing and evaluating begin.

Whose got a bridge wife or gf right now ?

I definitely had some before I was ready to get married and settle down. That's about where the Bills are with Tyrod. He's the Bills' girlfriend that pushed them into getting engaged a year ago. Now they have to either marry him or break up.

Drafting in the middle of the pack is not the reason why we don't have an answer at QB. Just like drafting in the top 5 doesn't guarantee you anything.

Fans blame players and coaches because it's easier to observe on-field events than try and understand a GM who largely works behind the scenes.

The GM should be, in concert with the HC, an architect of the organizational strategy. That includes creating an identity, which in this age must include finding a QB.

Finding a QB comes down more on the GM. He's been great at making excuses or deferred (as he did with Rex) to someone's idea. Now it's time to get the decision right. There is no more "QB purgatory."

Say what?

I don't even know what he means! Maybe he is trying to create the illusion that anyone who wants a better QB is asking for a HOF QB? No, we're not. Maybe a QB that can win it all or win playoff games and is better than average.

Like Derek Carr or Dak Prescott.

I don't even know what he means! Maybe he is trying to create the illusion that anyone who wants a better QB is asking for a HOF QB? No, we're not. Maybe a QB that can win it all or win playoff games and is better than average.

Like Derek Carr or Dak Prescott.

No. It means unless you have an elite QB you are always looking for your next one. I can guarantee you that if the Bills had Dak or Derek and we kept losing in round 1 or 2 of the playoffs, more than a few folks would be harping for an upgrade at QB...someone who can take down a Brady or Rodgers.

To start. Prescott, Wentz and Seimian showed that the jump to starter isn't as gigantic as NFL fans sometimes think it is. Jones said he was ready to start the last few games, so if he's clearly not overwhelmed and he'll be fine to start and let the true QB developing and evaluating begin.

Cardale barely started in college.

No. It means unless you have an elite QB you are always looking for your next one. I can guarantee you that if the Bills had Dak or Derek and we kept losing in round 1 or 2 of the playoffs, more than a few folks would be harping for an upgrade at QB...someone who can take down a Brady or Rodgers.

I can guarantee you that if the Bills acquired Dak Prescott and he threw for 300 yards and 3 TD's in a playoff game fans would be building his statue downtown.

Franchise QB isn't about pleasing every single member of the fanbase. There are millions of Bills fans, of course we don't ALL agree on anything. That's just the nature of people. No doubt there are pockets of fans in NY, Balt, ATL, Detroit who want to replace Eli, Flacco, Ryan and Stafford. Yet no attempt is ever made by the teams to actually replace these guys, and nobody around the league bats an eye because they are legit franchise QBs who give you a chance to win a championship.

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

Franchise QB isn't about pleasing every single member of the fanbase. There are millions of Bills fans, of course we don't ALL agree on anything. That's just the nature of people. No doubt there are pockets of fans in NY, Balt, ATL, Detroit who want to replace Eli, Flacco, Ryan and Stafford. Yet no attempt is ever made by the teams to actually replace these guys, and nobody around the league bats an eye because they are legit franchise QBs who give you a chance to win a championship.

The Bills left an out in Tyrod's contract last year. That tells you all you need to know.

Tyrod is not the answer. If the Bills keep him it will be because of marketing or to sell false hope to people.

This is the best thread post I've read here in a long time. There are two doors to go through...door one is go with 8-8 forever with guys like Fitz and Taylor, rinse and repeat...or door two, which is go with the combo of Jones and the QB who will no doubt be drafted high in either 2017 or 2018 (if Jones doesn't have it).

I don't understand why door two wouldn't be the consensus for Bills fans at this point. Being average is pointless. Jones is ready enough and the fallback option of the 2018 QB draft class is only a year away.

I don't see the Door 1 and Door 2 as mutually exclusive. I think the best of course of action is to play TT this season and see how far we can go. At the same time, we continue to develop Cardale who's clearly not ready for prime time - and may never be. And we also draft a QB - who may or may not work out. Every QB in every draft is a roll of the dice.

No matter how many times we draft a QB, Tyrod may be the best Bills QB to suit up over the next few years. The NFL success rate with drafted QBs is not high. The ability of our scouts to identify good QBs is far from proven. I don't want to suck for several years until we finally get lucky and draft a franchise QB. The only way to build a culture of winning is by winning. If TT gives us the best chance of winning now, then he's our guy.

The Bills left an out in Tyrod's contract last year. That tells you all you need to know.

Tyrod is not the answer. If the Bills keep him it will be because of marketing or to sell false hope to people.

True Jeff, and he was happy to sign his little bridge deal which included a team option after one year, even after he watched Flacco bet on himself, take a risk and score the mega-contract. He knows he's not some ascending soon-to-be-elite quarterback.

I don't see the Door 1 and Door 2 as mutually exclusive. I think the best of course of action is to play TT this season and see how far we can go. At the same time, we continue to develop Cardale who's clearly not ready for prime time - and may never be. And we also draft a QB - who may or may not work out. Every QB in every draft is a roll of the dice.

No matter how many times we draft a QB, Tyrod may be the best Bills QB to suit up over the next few years. The NFL success rate with drafted QBs is not high. The ability of our scouts to identify good QBs is far from proven. I don't want to suck for several years until we finally get lucky and draft a franchise QB. The only way to build a culture of winning is by winning. If TT gives us the best chance of winning now, then he's our guy.

Except keeping him at Qb means you cannot sign players at other positions which are sorely needed. If they were to restructure him, then keep him. If not, let Cardale start.

Matt Ryan just beat Aaron Rodgers.

Back to the old blaming the fans schtick I see. Sorry they don't all worship the 25th in passing yards/7-9 qb like you want them to.

Edited by Ryan L Billz