"Bridge" QBs are Worthless

ndirish1978

True Jeff, and he was happy to sign his little bridge deal which included a team option after one year, even after he watched Flacco bet on himself, take a risk and score the mega-contract. He knows he's not some ascending soon-to-be-elite quarterback.

And I'll give Tyrod credit. He played like a marginal starter. Which some team will want. Maybe the Jets who have a coach and GM on the hot seat. I want my team to make the best LONG TERM decisions.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't an argument about the semantics of what a bridge QB is, I'm saying it is a dumb idea to advocate bringing in some middling guy from the outside when we already have a middling QB with at least some upside. Alex Smith, Nick Foles, these guys are not taking us to the SB, I'm tired of the "let's get rid of TT for $ and start some other middling QB", if you don't want him, then bringin in the youth movement

I don't think that Cardale even qualifies as middling, do you?

Can we please stop with the illogical "we should trade for: x,y, z player cause they are mediocre and cheaper than Tyrod" foolishness. Bridge players are worthless, they are just good enough to get you 5-7 wins and keep you out of a top 5 pick and nowhere near good enough to get this team to a championship. If you don't believe TT can be "the guy", draft someone else to be "the guy" this year or next and play the rookie if we take one or Cardale this year if we wait til next year to draft one, he will either sink or swim and we will know what we have. I'm tired of all these half measures.

No. It's not illogical at all.

"Bridge players are worthless, they are just good enough to get you 5-7 wins and keep you out of a top 5 pick," you say. Fair enough, except for the worthless part. But yeah, that's the value of a bridge guy is spanning the time between now and when the guy you really want to be your QB is available.

Sometimes putting a QB in the lineup will hurt his long-term chances, and that appears to be the case with Cardale. He needs another year before it would be a smart idea to put him in (if he is ever ready, a legit argument). Same with several of the guys in this year's draft ... they appear to need time. So if you want your offense to have a legitimate chance to practice their pass plays from the new system and have a useful season in their development, a bridge guy is needed.

IMHO that doesn't mean there's an absolute necessity to bring in an expensive bridge guy. A Hoyer or a Sanchez would be much cheaper and still meet the terms of being a bridge guy.

You don't want one? Fair enough.

This isn't an argument about the semantics of what a bridge QB is, I'm saying it is a dumb idea to advocate bringing in some middling guy from the outside when we already have a middling QB with at least some upside. Alex Smith, Nick Foles, these guys are not taking us to the SB, I'm tired of the "let's get rid of TT for $ and start some other middling QB", if you don't want him, then bringin in the youth movement

I can see how people might be "tired of the 'get rid of TT for $ and start some other middling QB'" argument. Doesn't mean it's not an excellent argument, though. Saving money in a year when you don't think we've got a chance in hell of competing for a championship makes a ton of sense.

Yeah, Tyrod Taylor and Nick Foles aren't taking us to an SB most likely. They'd be bridges. And with bridges, money is important. Gotta disagree about Alex Smith, though. Smith has shown the ability to occasionally lift himself above his usual level of play as a game manager.

Remember that playoff game against Indy in 2014?

As for bringing in the youth movement, I'd be all for it. But some kinds of youth movement might also require a bridge QB.

I don't see the Door 1 and Door 2 as mutually exclusive. I think the best of course of action is to play TT this season and see how far we can go. At the same time, we continue to develop Cardale who's clearly not ready for prime time - and may never be. And we also draft a QB - who may or may not work out. Every QB in every draft is a roll of the dice.

No matter how many times we draft a QB, Tyrod may be the best Bills QB to suit up over the next few years. The NFL success rate with drafted QBs is not high. The ability of our scouts to identify good QBs is far from proven. I don't want to suck for several years until we finally get lucky and draft a franchise QB. The only way to build a culture of winning is by winning. If TT gives us the best chance of winning now, then he's our guy.

You must've loved being a Bills fan the last 16 or so years. Except for the year they shipped Bledsoe out to give Losman his shot. All the rest of those years they played the QB who gave 'em the best chance of winning now. The problem with it is that unless you hit the right QB you're headed for a lot of 7-9 type of seasons, and that doesn't give you a shot at the best QBs in the draft the next year. But we sure did work hard on building a culture of winning by winning as many as we possibly could each year.

Can we please stop with the illogical "we should trade for: x,y, z player cause they are mediocre and cheaper than Tyrod" foolishness. Bridge players are worthless, they are just good enough to get you 5-7 wins and keep you out of a top 5 pick and nowhere near good enough to get this team to a championship. If you don't believe TT can be "the guy", draft someone else to be "the guy" this year or next and play the rookie if we take one or Cardale this year if we wait til next year to draft one, he will either sink or swim and we will know what we have. I'm tired of all these half measures.

obviously. that's why they are bridge players to the real players one wants.

I don't see the Door 1 and Door 2 as mutually exclusive. I think the best of course of action is to play TT this season and see how far we can go. At the same time, we continue to develop Cardale who's clearly not ready for prime time - and may never be. And we also draft a QB - who may or may not work out. Every QB in every draft is a roll of the dice.

No matter how many times we draft a QB, Tyrod may be the best Bills QB to suit up over the next few years. The NFL success rate with drafted QBs is not high. The ability of our scouts to identify good QBs is far from proven. I don't want to suck for several years until we finally get lucky and draft a franchise QB. The only way to build a culture of winning is by winning. If TT gives us the best chance of winning now, then he's our guy.

I think going with Taylor is knowingly settling for being an also ran team. The actual passing part of his game is too seriously flawed to expect anything more. Now, if you think Taylor can overcome these flaws and bring his game to another level, then I can see why you’d want him back. I don’t ever see Taylor elevating his game to becoming a consistent threat with his arm.
As for you thinking that Cardale isn't ready for prime time, that’s just conjecture. If Trevor Siemian could give the Broncos competent QB play in his second season, then starting Jones shouldn’t be that big of an issue. Especially with the league’s #1 rushing attack. Even Jim Kelly said that he would have put Jones in the last three games of the season once the season was lost for good. I think fans are just too fearful of the unknown sometimes. You can't wait forever in today's NFL. If the QB you have isn't ever going to be good enough to win a championship, and you just have to move on from being mediocre, then it's next man up and that's Cardale Jones. Yes, that could end up meaning becoming the worst team. But that scenario is actually better than just remaining an 8-8 team, because you can draft a franchise QB to get you back to the top.
So I would rather get to the business of finding the franchise QB and since they have Jones, start him to see if he’s a franchise QB. You don’t really know until he plays in real games. Taylor is so limited as a passer, I could see Jones out performing him as a passer in that most crucial part of being a starting NFL QB.
Edited by 1billsfan

Steelers view Landry Jones as elite backup
Feb 15 - 8:57 PM
We know what Taylor can do , I would gamble on Landry to start here until Cardale or another drafted QB can out play him.
Then we at least would have Landry as a good backup.
Money saved by letting Taylor go , try for Rick Wagner at RT

Landry Jones sucks.

obviously. that's why they are bridge players to the real players one wants.

And who are these real players? For all the garbage I give you about your Skelton infatuation, at least Skelton was taking a shot at finding "the real player one wants". If you're not bringing in someone who you know is going to be "the guy", then play your young players, give them a chance to develop and keep drafting QBs until you FIND "the guy"

Edited by ndirish1978

And who are these real players? For all the garbage I give you about your Skelton infatuation, at least Skelton was taking a shot at finding "the real player one wants". If you're not bringing in someone who you know is going to be "the guy", then play your young players, give them a chance to develop and keep drafting QBs until you FIND "the guy"

This is just the logical course of action if you ever want your team to become a real contender for the championship.

Bills fans need to put their big boy pants on and deal with any "growing pains" of Cardale Jones' first starting season. Because if this team does goes in that direction, it's evidence of this franchise's real intentions to find a franchise QB that will get them to the top. Jones would be the first guy up, and if he doesn't pan out then a 1st round QB pick in 2018 would probably be the next guy.

Please, no more Fitz, Orton or Taylor 8-8 record types.

I heard the Jets were going to seriously consider starting Hackenburg this year. Sometimes you just have to trust that you drafted the right QB and play him when all the other options aren't good enough for a team with long term expectations of becoming great.

Edited by 1billsfan

Yep, cut TT. Romo is the guy. Draft a QB as backup.

Actaully....this is not what the op said

Romo is not a "bridge qb" because of the cap hit it would take to keep him AND the fact that the guy probably does not last the season

I would rather just draft and start a QB if we went this route because the result would probably just be the same

There are no such thing as "bridge QBs." It's just a term invented by bored fans.

Just like every other position, you play the best QB you can acquire.

If TT is the best QB we can find, you don't dump him because you've labeled him a "bridge QB." That's illogical. You play TT until you find someone better.

EXACTLY!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Actaully....this is not what the op said

Romo is not a "bridge qb" because of the cap hit it would take to keep him AND the fact that the guy probably does not last the season

I would rather just draft and start a QB if we went this route because the result would probably just be the same

OP said no more bridge QB's. Me and him get it.

No. It means unless you have an elite QB you are always looking for your next one. I can guarantee you that if the Bills had Dak or Derek and we kept losing in round 1 or 2 of the playoffs, more than a few folks would be harping for an upgrade at QB...someone who can take down a Brady or Rodgers.

There it is! Any opportunity to dump on the fans cannot be missed--even if you have to create the opportunity with a nonsensical thread.

And I'll give Tyrod credit. He played like a marginal starter. Which some team will want. Maybe the Jets who have a coach and GM on the hot seat. I want my team to make the best LONG TERM decisions.

At QB? You're gonna need a new GM then...

Edited by Mr. WEO