"Bridge" QBs are Worthless

ndirish1978

Can we please stop with the illogical "we should trade for: x,y, z player cause they are mediocre and cheaper than Tyrod" foolishness. Bridge players are worthless, they are just good enough to get you 5-7 wins and keep you out of a top 5 pick and nowhere near good enough to get this team to a championship. If you don't believe TT can be "the guy", draft someone else to be "the guy" this year or next and play the rookie if we take one or Cardale this year if we wait til next year to draft one, he will either sink or swim and we will know what we have. I'm tired of all these half measures.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we please stop with the illogical "we should trade for: x,y, z player cause they are mediocre and cheaper than Tyrod" foolishness. Bridge players are worthless, they are just good enough to get you 5-7 wins and keep you out of a top 5 pick and nowhere near good enough to get this team to a championship. If you don't believe TT can be "the guy", draft someone else to be "the guy" this year or next and play the rookie if we take one or Cardale this year if we wait til next year to draft one, he will either sink or swim and we will know what we have. I'm tired of all these half measures.

Yep, cut TT. Romo is the guy. Draft a QB as backup.

I think Tyrod is a bridge Quarterback.

The job of a bridge QB is simply to hold the fort down so you don't have to throw an unprepared rookie QB into the fray before he's ready. He's just there so a team doesn't ruin their highly drafted potential FQB.

The job of a bridge QB is simply to hold the fort down so you don't have to throw an unprepared rookie QB into the fray before he's ready. He's just there so a team doesn't ruin their highly drafted potential FQB.

And, in the event of that future QB taking the reigns, you have an experienced backup and (hopefully) a veteran presence to act as another coach.

Hence why I kinda like the quotes today attributed to Josh McCown about going to a team with a young QB.

The point being that we either use Tyrod for that purpose or just start Cardale, whom evidently everyone thinks needs to sit on the bench for 15 years before he's "ready" to play. There is no logic behind trading for Foles or some other mid-level guy to come in and be a caretaker. We have a QB who has been on an NFL roster for a year; if you don't believe in TT then start Cardale and get ready to draft a rd 1 QB this year or next.

Yep. Maybe if the Texans had a bridge "QB", they don't ruin Carr

There are no such thing as "bridge QBs." It's just a term invented by bored fans.

Just like every other position, you play the best QB you can acquire.

If TT is the best QB we can find, you don't dump him because you've labeled him a "bridge QB." That's illogical. You play TT until you find someone better.

But I agree with the rest of this. Our goal is the Super Bowl. And that requires a Super Bowl caliber roster. We have several players who don't play like they belong on a Super Bowl team and DW needs to find their replacements.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Yep. Maybe if the Texans had a bridge "QB", they don't ruin Carr

No, you either have it or you don't.

This is actually a myth.

I'm sure you'll be totally patient and reasonable as we rack up a stack of 3-13 and 4-12 seasons as we churn through QBs looking for the "the guy".

Was Fergy a bridge QB? He wasn't a championship type QB, so I guess he fits the definition. He did bridge us from Dennis Shaw to Vince Ferragamo. It was a 12 year bridge.

Was OJ a bridge RB? He never brought us a championship either.

Call them whatever you want, you put the best players on the field you can. Sadly, they all won't be superstars and they all won't earn championship rings.