37 years ago today

CowgirlsFan

But, the problem would be that the people you're betting are the ones that thought the USA-USSR game was the gold medal game and will bet it was the Soviets - and they'll be right!

It would be a good trick question since there was no 'gold medal' game.

I did not know how either..till you look at the results. The Soviets beat Sweeden in a game played AFTER the US-Finland game, and won the Silver.

My guess is you can win a ton of money betting who won the Silver at the 1980 Olympics...i would have bet my left nut it was Finland.

Awesome job KD!!!!

The medals were awarded based on total points against the other 3 teams in the medal round, with the result against the team you played in the preliminary round carrying through the medal round (so the US-Sweden tie and the USSR d Finland).

The US finished 2-0-1 for 5 points and the Soviets 2-1-0 for 4 points, hence the silver. Had the US lost to Finland, USSR would have won gold and the US bronze.

Edited by KD in CA

In Buffalo, we got to watch it on Canadian TV live. It was dinner time by the end of the game, and we were jumping around the living room.

I don't see how that was NOT a semi final game??

How can both of you say to instead of too?

I saw that this morning and thought, "dammit, someone is gonna call me on that!" :doh:

It would be a good trick question since there was no 'gold medal' game.

The medals were awarded based on total points against the other 3 teams in the medal round, with the result against the team you played in the preliminary round carrying through the medal round (so the US-Sweden tie and the USSR d Finland).

The US finished 2-0-1 for 5 points and the Soviets 2-1-0 for 4 points, hence the silver. Had the US lost to Finland, USSR would have won gold and the US bronze.

Yep. Always remembered it as the US having no way to get silver, but believe if they'd've tied the Finns they'd've had silver losing gold to the Soviets on goal differential.

Had the Swedes been able to tie the Soviets & the Finns would've beat the US by at least 2 goals, the US would've missed out on a medal altogether.

The better trivia question than who won silver in '80 would be who won bronze. It wasn't the Finns; it was the Swedes who tied the US in their group's opening game & also tied the Finns in the medal round's opening game. US 5, USSR 4, Sweden 2, Finland 1 were the final standings.