The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

21 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I would expect rebellion in one’s early years, it was kind of strange watching my peers accept things without a battle

so what is reality, your parents and school and people who honestly care about you ?

I find the answer to that question increasingly elusive. I'm realizing, not for the first time, but on a deeper level, that virtually everything we are taught is propaganda. Not just our contemporary politics and humanities, but nearly all of human history as it is taught is written by the victors and spread by the powerful to shape our view of the world and the human condition to facilitate the objectives of the propagandists.

Every narrative is carefully crafted, and every sacred cow is a barrier to truth.

Questioning the narrative is forbidden, lest you be labeled a "conspiracy theorist," who is by definition crazy, and therefore to be dismissed out of hand without further inquiry or consideration.

20 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Have you read up on the French Revolution and the Jacobians?  Quite a similiarty with modern Progressives trying to erase history and change the language and even their calendar to suit their ideology

Cursory studies, but not to the extent I'd like. It's difficult to find worthwhile sources on the subject without dedicating a fair amount of time to it.

My suspicion is that those writing the history books find the reality of the situation problematic to their narrative.

Edited by Rob's House
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rob's House said:

I find the answer to that question increasingly elusive. I'm realizing, not for the first time, but on a deeper level, that virtually everything we are taught is propaganda. Not just our contemporary politics and humanities, but nearly all of human history as it is taught is written by the victors and spread by the powerful to shape our view of the world and the human condition to facilitate the objectives of the propagandists.

Every narrative is carefully crafted, and every sacred cow is a barrier to truth.

Questioning the narrative is forbidden, lest you be labeled a "conspiracy theorist," who is by definition crazy, and therefore to be dismissed out of hand without further inquiry or consideration.

Yep.

In school, they call the class "social studies" and not "history."  There's a reason for that.

• Like (+1) 1

This right here is a prime example of my distrust.

A year ago I may have taken this at face value, but now I'm wondering how accurate this is, what the details are, what's the bigger picture, and what is the motive of the messenger.

I don't really believe John Bolton cares all that much about the internal affairs of Iran for humanitarian purposes. 

I know I don't support the Islamic theocracy in power over there, but I couldn't tell you what the options are, how the people in that country feel about those options, and what the broader consequences of those actions (or inaction) may be.

I do believe most people following this, who are just as ignorant as I, are confident enough in their understanding that they will support measures up to and including war if presented with the proper narrative. 

Up until recently I would have too. If done properly, maybe I still would.

3 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

ugh the media is SO UNFAIR to Trump :(

I want to thank you for this. You could have interjected with a thoughtful counterpoint to something being discussed that may have added perspective, but you've given us so much more.

• Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yep.

In school, they call the class "social studies" and not "history."  There's a reason for that.

social science demanded it be taken as seriously as chemistry for prediction of future events

trouble is all is seems to do is reflect trendy postures 

And chemistry is hard, you have to sit down quietly and read and study it...  you won’t grasp  the subject with social media surfing for a minute or so

And they will test you real hard and 49 pages of emotional BS won’t get you an A with the wrong answer 

Edited by row_33

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

———

Watched an All in the Family on the weekend and Archie and Mike are having a sit down 

Archie agrees things are troubling and asks Mike what his generation’s solutions or plans are

and Mike says they don’t need them because Archie’s generation is to blame

yup, thought so....even 50 years ago....

...and look how WAY far left Reiner is today........SMH..........

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

his daddy was rich and famous enough to get him the gig, Rob never had to grow up 

....the "poster boy for relaxed mental hygiene consequences"..............

Rob Reiner likens Trump allies to 'white supremacists' making a 'pact with Putin'

By Tyler McCarthy | Fox News

Never-Trumper Rob Reiner caught backlash on social media after he took aim at the president’s Republican allies, likening them to white supremacists in a renewed call for impeachment.

The actor and director, 72, often uses his Twitter to deride President Trump, his administration and his supporters. On Friday, the notoriously politically outspoken star took to Twitter to once again call for Trump's impeachment and removal from office. He upset many of his critics and followers when he also shared his thoughts on Trump’s allies, accusing them of being in league with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

“Every elected Republican knows that this President is guilty of countless Impeachable offenses,” Reiner wrote. “But they, along with many White Evangelicals & White Supremacists have made a pact with Putin. But unlike a pact with the Devil, this one can be unsigned.”

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/rob-reiner-trump-allies-white-supremacists-pact-with-putin

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

“Every elected Republican knows that this President is guilty of countless Impeachable offenses,” Reiner wrote. “But they, along with many White Evangelicals & White Supremacists have made a pact with Putin. But unlike a pact with the Devil, this one can be unsigned.”

The '80s called, they want their insane political ranting back.  

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Yep.

You know I've always wondered that when I was a kid.  Why they didn't call it history class.  

20 minutes ago, row_33 said:

his daddy was rich and famous enough to get him the gig, Rob never had to grow up 

I worked in a restaurant in the ground floor of the building where Castle Rock Entertainment was.  Rob was one of the founding members and came in for lunch pretty much on a daily basis.  I'd call him a douche but that would be an insult to douches.  

2 hours ago, Rob's House said:

This right here is a prime example of my distrust.

A year ago I may have taken this at face value, but now I'm wondering how accurate this is, what the details are, what's the bigger picture, and what is the motive of the messenger.

I don't really believe John Bolton cares all that much about the internal affairs of Iran for humanitarian purposes. 

I know I don't support the Islamic theocracy in power over there, but I couldn't tell you what the options are, how the people in that country feel about those options, and what the broader consequences of those actions (or inaction) may be.

I do believe most people following this, who are just as ignorant as I, are confident enough in their understanding that they will support measures up to and including war if presented with the proper narrative. 

Up until recently I would have too. If done properly, maybe I still would.

I want to thank you for this. You could have interjected with a thoughtful counterpoint to something being discussed that may have added perspective, but you've given us so much more.

Bolton has been the biggest Iran hawk for decades.  His tweet is not out of character at all.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, GG said:

Bolton has been the biggest Iran hawk for decades.  His tweet is not out of character at all.

I understand that. My point was less about Bolton and this specific issue, and more about my skepticism of anything I'm hearing from anyone in government or media. That tweet was just an example I used to illustrate that point.

I used to view these things with a lot less skepticism.

Now I wonder, not whether Bolton is consistent in his position, but what his motivations are. Why is he so interested in this, and what is the rest of the story.

It's entirely possible that I would agree with him entirely if I knew all the facts. But I don't. And most people don't. But we're quick to jump on board.

I think it's prudent to take everything we're told with great skepticism.

27 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You know...the case against his tweets being ghost-written is simply that it's a violation of child labor laws to employ eight year olds.  

Jesus Christ, this guy is immature as *****.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You know...the case against his tweets being ghost-written is simply that it's a violation of child labor laws to employ eight year olds.  

Jesus Christ, this guy is immature as *****.  

still five million times better than Hillary

• Like (+1) 1