The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Dude, you are the exact embodiment .of all you claim to disdain. That being an independent, thinking, populace.

When I agree with Trump, i don't see the see the hate and scorn, or ridicule about my thoughts being amongst the most ridiculous ever. When I disagree however, I am lowering my self to posters or groups you disagree with and being called  a total idiot. It does not bother me BTW. I just knoiw you can be beterr than just an abject follower. But your posts are  proof of whiny ass Trump/Right supporters that say " every one stereotypes me..boo hoo, not fair!. Your opinion is different than mine, you are an idiot co-opted by the media". Jesus, grow a freaking a pair and argue points, not whine about perceived grievances. 

You want people to respect your ideas, you have to respect others ideas. You don't. You dismiss them outright as foolishness. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone here with any intelligence who says I don't listen to the idea of people i disgaree with,  and get persuaded by sound, fact-based arguments. You, however, dismiss any idea that is not the same as yours as idiotic..or as some may say afraid ti question your beliefs.

And yes yes, Trump supporters/Obama haters are the most put upon group I have ever witnessed in my 56 years on this earth..they percive every thing as a slight, see everyting as a sterotype, see anyone who wants to argue points and ideas on merit as an "enemy of the stare"and brainwashed by the media...in other words afraid to argue points on merit, and only want to rely on slogans and and slander.

You actually sound like JohnC defending Housley.    There’s been infinitely more criticism of Trump on this forum by the people you proclaim are his fans than anything we’ve seen from Obama’s fans in the prior 8 years.  What you claim is whining are actually constant reminders of the hypocritical nature of the people whose jobs are to be objective in their reporting.  

Trump is a raw vulgarian, and that’s why most people don’t like him.  Doesn’t mean that he’s done a bad job in his actions.  It would be nice if more people like you focused on actual results than to pay attention to hos twitter account.  

9 minutes ago, GG said:

You actually sound like JohnC defending Housley.    There’s been infinitely more criticism of Trump on this forum by the people you proclaim are his fans than anything we’ve seen from Obama’s fans in the prior 8 years.  What you claim is whining are actually constant reminders of the hypocritical nature of the people whose jobs are to be objective in their reporting.  

Trump is a raw vulgarian, and that’s why most people don’t like him.  Doesn’t mean that he’s done a bad job in his actions.  It would be nice if more people like you focused on actual results than to pay attention to hos twitter account.  

see, I am fine arguing results, that makes sense to me and is an argument we can have( btw, I think his results suck, but that another argument)... I am all for that. You have your views, I have mine..lets debate! As @JohnC and i do in the Sabres thread. We could not be more diametrically opposed, but neither of us has called each other an idiot or called each other stupid etc ...we are arguing things as we see them. I mean he is wrong, but I love to hear his side! 

Edited by plenzmd1

If you don’t think he’s done more positive things, then you’re not looking at the right places.   The economy is finally humming along, despite more headwinds.  Regulations are coming down, and business and consumers get their confidence back.  He managed to beat back the Obamacare yoke.  The downside is there’s no permanent solution in place, but he also started the ball rolling in addressing the drug pricing arbitrage.

He’s waging a very high stakes battle with his tariff gambits, but as we’re discussing in other threads, he’s using them more for strategic reasons to get China in line than for economic.  He’s right to hammer Huawei and by extension China.  no one had the balls to do it before.  When he wins that battle, it will be a two prong win - strategic and economic.  

He’s also taken a winning approach to a changed US foreign policy.  While isolationist in tone, it’s been much more aggressive in actually using American power to achieve our foreign policy goals.  We’ll see if North Korea is a ruse, but so far it doesn’t look like it.  The Iran stance is clearly a huge positive.

The wall rhetoric is over the top, but most of it is to fulfill a campaign promise. He’s backed off much of what he was clamoring for in the campaign and few thought he would get a complete land wall.  But its equally silly to block any type of  barrier expansion and to completely change your tune on immigration simply because Trump supports it.

Now it’s your turn.  Name the actual instances where his results really suck.

Edited by GG
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I again believe the exact phrase "enemy of the people/state" can be construed as a dog whistle to the far right..and it bothers me. I hope you have noticed in the last year I have consistently said " words matter" and I believe that phrase matters ...

what does this, 'dog whistle' call those on the far right to do? in mean, i don't believe we have seen anything from far right peeps that could be construed as a movement into 'action'. 

do you believe that there was/are/is enemies of the people/state?

9 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

see, I am fine arguing results, that makes sense to me and is an argument we can have( btw, I think his results suck, but that another argument)... I am all for that. You have your views, I have mine..lets debate! As @JohnC and i do in the Sabres thread. We could not be more diametrically opposed, but neither of us has called each other an idiot or called each other stupid etc ...we are arguing things as we see them. I mean he is wrong, but I love to hear his side! 

I haven't explicitly called you an idiot. But am I a bad person if the thought has come up with great frequency? :) 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sorry, I was distracted.

You're an idiot.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, GG said:

If you don’t think he’s done more positive things, then you’re not looking at the right places.   The economy is finally humming along, despite more headwinds.  Regulations are coming down, and business and consumers get their confidence back.  He managed to beat back the Obamacare yoke.  The downside is there’s no permanent solution in place, but he also started the ball rolling in addressing the drug pricing arbitrage.

He’s waging a very high stakes battle with his tariff gambits, but as we’re discussing in other threads, he’s using them more for strategic reasons to get China in line than for economic.  He’s right to hammer Huawei and by extension China.  no one had the balls to do it before.  When he wins that battle, it will be a two prong win - strategic and economic.  

He’s also taken a winning approach to a changed US foreign policy.  While isolationist in tone, it’s been much more aggressive in actually using American power to achieve our foreign policy goals.  We’ll see if North Korea is a ruse, but so far it doesn’t look like it.  The Iran stance is clearly a huge positive.

The wall rhetoric is over the top, but most of it is to fulfill a campaign promise. He’s backed off much of what he was clamoring for in the campaign and few thought he would get a complete land wall.  But its equally silly to block any type of  barrier expansion and to completely change your tune on immigration simply because Trump supports it.

*****, i just had a lengthy reply and it went bye-bye when i hit the return key twice. Will redo after next meeting. Did not want you to think i was ignoring the question.

BTW, does that happen to other people as well?

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

*****, i just had a lengthy reply and it went bye-bye when i hit the return key twice. Will redo after next meeting. Did not want you to think i was ignoring the question.

Sometimes. But in my phone the editor restores my text (sometimes) if I never hit the submit button.

I post on different devices through the day, and evening, and overnight.

You might try going to the main (foosball) page and then try to respond again on that thread once you're back here.

It might work. Like I said, it's spotty. Sometimes it gets restored and I've already posted my response. Probably has to do with my browser cache too. 

Good luck. Keep posting! :thumbsup:them

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, GG said:

Okay, 2nd try LOL, truncated form

• While I do believe the economy is in good shape and growing, albeit at the same pace it was pre-Trump,  he got his 2 quarter bump by juicing the economy with that assinine tax cut. Believe me, the demand for skilled workers has been outpacing supply since at least 2010. Trump and his cut gave a lift to unskilled workers, but its a lift that to me is not sustainable, and that will get even worse when the deleterious effects of his trade policies really start to hit home in 2020 and beyond. I know this sounds callous, but if you were not working and enjoying the growth in the economy in 2010-2018 , its cause you were unskilled and/or uneducated. Your fault in other words, not the government or the economy.
  • Conservatives have railed for years the Dems were "Tax and Spend" ..well, so far he has the spend part down pat, be nice if he had the revenues to cover his spending habits. We should be reducing deficits if the economy so good, they are growing at alarming rates.
  • As mentioned above, I do not think his trade policies will pan out, and I think he will get out-negotiated by folks much smarter and more patient than him. Trade policies hit his base the hardest, he will cave on demands, declare victory none the less, and leave us in worse shape than before all IMHO.
  • His strategy of being adversarial to get what he wants works when he is trying to get a vendor to agree to better terms, I don't believe it works in foreign policy. I applaud his efforts to get all of NATO to pay their fair share..long overdue. But for the rest of our allies to now view us as,  at best , of being neither friend nor foe is disturbing. I do like he wants us out of never-ending wars..I applaud that..but acknowledge the middle east stuff confuses me. I like reading what @Deranged Rhino posts, and I trust his takes on many views on the events in that region( i know @DC Tom , I am an idiot for saying that)
  • His insistence that climate change is not real is just fanciful to me . One can argue causes certainly, but one cannot argue empirical evidence the climate is changing. Having said,  I agree with many of his initiatives on business deregulation, just not all, especially when it comes to many environmental regulations. Relaxing regulations so a dying industry like coal can have another decade is just folly to me.. Stop corporate welfare and let the freaking industry die as it should. You want to be compassionate to coal miners??? have them trained with new skills. They don't want new skills? Fug em. 
  • And maybe I have missed something, but I don't remember seeing anything from this administration that fundamentally addresses the massive issue we have with entitlements right now. And that flat out sucks. 

And at the heart of it all, I think Trump has ripped out the heart and soul of America. There have always been differences..Liberal, Conservative etc..always will be. But I feel his rhetoric, his use of the language as mentioned above..his incessant mistruths and lies have sapped the ability for us as a country to have any kind of common goals or aspirations. We see it on this very board, where we attack the person instead of attack and debate the idea and position.  .I believe he has sapped the ability for America to lead on a global stage from a position of moral strength, and that discourages the hell out of me. 

To bring it full circle to the point of this thread, I think the liberal press reacts more to his demeanor and his moral compass than they do to his policy decisions. That's on him, and tthe press Act like a Buffon, insult people, call them names..they gonna fight back. He uses the bully pulpit of the Presidency, they use their power of audience. 

I guess bthe est way to sum it up is I believe Trump has done many good things, many i don't agree with as well, as it has been with evry president to me since Reagan. But the ends do not always justify the means ...and his means ..aye yi yi!!!!

9 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

You must have your fact checker mode turned on. Turn it off and it will allow you to post.

• Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Okay, 2nd try LOL, truncated form

• While I do believe the economy is in good shape and growing, albeit at the same pace it was pre-Trump,  he got his 2 quarter bump by juicing the economy with that assinine tax cut. Believe me, the demand for skilled workers has been outpacing supply since at least 2010. Trump and his cut gave a lift to unskilled workers, but its a lift that to me is not sustainable, and that will get even worse when the deleterious effects of his trade policies really start to hit home in 2020 and beyond. I know this sounds callous, but if you were not working and enjoying the growth in the economy in 2010-2018 , its cause you were unskilled and/or uneducated. Your fault in other words, not the government or the economy.
  • Conservatives have railed for years the Dems were "Tax and Spend" ..well, so far he has the spend part down pat, be nice if he had the revenues to cover his spending habits. We should be reducing deficits if the economy so good, they are growing at alarming rates.
  • As mentioned above, I do not think his trade policies will pan out, and I think he will get out-negotiated by folks much smarter and more patient than him. Trade policies hit his base the hardest, he will cave on demands, declare victory none the less, and leave us in worse shape than before all IMHO.
  • His strategy of being adversarial to get what he wants works when he is trying to get a vendor to agree to better terms, I don't believe it works in foreign policy. I applaud his efforts to get all of NATO to pay their fair share..long overdue. But for the rest of our allies to now view us as,  at best , of being neither friend nor foe is disturbing. I do like he wants us out of never-ending wars..I applaud that..but acknowledge the middle east stuff confuses me. I like reading what @Deranged Rhino posts, and I trust his takes on many views on the events in that region( i know @DC Tom , I am an idiot for saying that)
  • His insistence that climate change is not real is just fanciful to me . One can argue causes certainly, but one cannot argue empirical evidence the climate is changing. Having said,  I agree with many of his initiatives on business deregulation, just not all, especially when it comes to many environmental regulations. Relaxing regulations so a dying industry like coal can have another decade is just folly to me.. Stop corporate welfare and let the freaking industry die as it should. You want to be compassionate to coal miners??? have them trained with new skills. They don't want new skills? Fug em. 
  • And maybe I have missed something, but I don't remember seeing anything from this administration that fundamentally addresses the massive issue we have with entitlements right now. And that flat out sucks. 

And at the heart of it all, I think Trump has ripped out the heart and soul of America. There have always been differences..Liberal, Conservative etc..always will be. But I feel his rhetoric, his use of the language as mentioned above..his incessant mistruths and lies have sapped the ability for us as a country to have any kind of common goals or aspirations. We see it on this very board, where we attack the person instead of attack and debate the idea and position.  .I believe he has sapped the ability for America to lead on a global stage from a position of moral strength, and that discourages the hell out of me. 

To bring it full circle to the point of this thread, I think the liberal press reacts more to his demeanor and his moral compass than they do to his policy decisions. That's on him, and tthe press Act like a Buffon, insult people, call them names..they gonna fight back. He uses the bully pulpit of the Presidency, they use their power of audience. 

I guess bthe est way to sum it up is I believe Trump has done many good things, many i don't agree with as well, as it has been with evry president to me since Reagan. But the ends do not always justify the means ...and his means ..aye yi yi!!!!

America has lost its innocence?

for the 209th time?

:D

9 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You must have your fact checker mode turned on. Turn it off and it will allow you to post.

That truly me LOL..thank you, needed that after watching Sabres first period!!!!

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

America has lost its innocence?

for the 209th time?

:D

not its innocence, it's moral compass

12 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Rap Music and Youtube did that.    Trump came after.   

Rap Music and Youtube, not the POTUS would sure hope we hold POTUS to a higher standard than Biggie. 

And I don't think there is anty debate Kendrick Lamar has more integrity and honesty in his big toe than Trump has in his whole body