The Media's Portrayal of Trump and His Presidency

Nanker

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Well, he had his issues with Fox, no doubt. Never called them "enemies of the State"

No.  He just called them "illegitimate," "destructive," and used the Justice Department to investigate them for criminal conspiracy.

But he never called them "enemies of the State."  So he had that going for him, which was nice.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

That i cannot agree with, that prhase carries to much sordid history...And there are journalists and news readers that try as best they can to be straight shooters...Brett Baird is one, for instance, Major Garret I think as another on TV. 

What history is that? Information is the greatest power there is. Wars have been fought, won, and lost based on information and disinformation. The entire world almost ended in a "war"where the most utilized weapon was information. If you admit that the media at large in this country intentionally lies and provides false information and bias while waving the flag of impartiality and transparency (which you seem to admit, but feel free to correct me if necessary) then I don't see how it can be anything but a hostile faction. Again, I don't care which side this gets applied to. I think both sides have teeth in the lying game. There have been 5 or 6 really solid events in the past few months or so that prove the media's agenda and disinformation. That's hostility.

There are good reporters, no doubt. But if they associate with/work for organizations that are actively suppressing truth to fit their ends, then they aren't worth a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. 

8 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

No.  He just called them "illegitimate," "destructive," and used the Justice Department to investigate them for criminal conspiracy.

But he never called them "enemies of the State."  So he had that going for him, which was nice.  

Obama was usually very polite and cordial  when he told us there is no smidgen of corruption in any of the agencies he weaponized against political opponents

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Obama was usually very polite and cordial  when he told us there is no smidgen of corruption in any of the agencies he weaponized against political opponents

Reminder: the next time people call a black candidate "well-spoken," the subtext isn't "for a black man."  It's "unlike Trump."

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

my point was this guy has repeatedly called the press/media the Enemy of the People/State. The last president to say those types of things tried to have licenses taken away(hmm, who has brought that up again), tried to bully papers into not reporting on the truth and led him to commit several crimes down the road.

Logic also dictates that if Trump is willing to declare a national emergency as our country is being "invaded", a word only used in conjunction with enemies, not friends, than it stands to reason the press, ie "enemies of the people" also demands a national emergency declaration no?

And that my friends, is scary as all hell.

I simply don't know how you watch any of the media today covering the president of the United States and not realize that they ARE moreso an enemy of the people than any time I can remember.

And for the umpteenth time, I DO NOT LIKE TRUMP...but the left has losts its mind, their lies are early and often, and the only difference between what I think and what they think is that THEY think  their work is for the good of the people because their Journo-List bubble blinds them to understand another side that doesn't agree with theirs.

It's clear and obvious, and if you want the charges against them to stop, perhaps the first step would be for people like Acosta to stop making themselves the story.

Edited by LABillzFan

Just now, LABillzFan said:

I simply don't know how you watch any of the media today covering the president of the United States and not realize that they ARE moreso an enemy of the people than any time I can remember.

And for the umpteenth time, I DO NOT LIKE TRUMP...

Most people accused of liking Trump really don't like Trump, they just like watching the left act like rabid kindergartners.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, DC Tom said:

Most people accused of liking Trump really don't like Trump, they just like watching the left act like rabid kindergartners.  

Clark, that's the gift that just keeps on giving.

Watching leftists foam at the mouth is hysterical. And just when you think they're done, along comes @Coach Tuesday to spit his foam all over the place.

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

Clark, that's the gift that just keeps on giving.

Watching leftists foam at the mouth is hysterical. And just when you think they're done, along comes @Coach Tuesday to spit his foam all over the place.

Making all these “tolerant and loving and logical” people go ape-poop in six seconds never gets old

CBS’S LARA LOGAN CALLS MEDIA ‘MOSTLY LIBERAL’ IN SCORCHED EARTH INTERVIEW: I’M COMMITTING ‘PROFESSIONAL SUICIDE.’

Why is that? As the Washington Post noted in 2006, even Bill Clinton admitted this was true:

…[Bill Clinton] said Democrats of his generation tend to be naive about new media realities. There is an expectation among Democrats that establishment old media organizations are de facto allies — and will rebut political accusations and serve as referees on new-media excesses.

“We’re all that way, and I think a part of it is we grew up in the ’60s and the press led us against the war and the press led us on civil rights and the press led us on Watergate,” Clinton said. “Those of us of a certain age grew up with this almost unrealistic set of expectations.”

Almost…

428FF5C0-17B5-4219-8541-D22DA28CCE95-600x230.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I again believe the exact phrase "enemy of the people/state" can be construed as a dog whistle to the far right..and it bothers me. I hope you have noticed in the last year I have consistently said " words matter" and I believe that phrase matters

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

What history is that? Information is the greatest power there is. Wars have been fought, won, and lost based on information and disinformation. The entire world almost ended in a "war"where the most utilized weapon was information. If you admit that the media at large in this country intentionally lies and provides false information and bias while waving the flag of impartiality and transparency (which you seem to admit, but feel free to correct me if necessary) then I don't see how it can be anything but a hostile faction. Again, I don't care which side this gets applied to. I think both sides have teeth in the lying game. There have been 5 or 6 really solid events in the past few months or so that prove the media's agenda and disinformation. That's hostility.

There are good reporters, no doubt. But if they associate with/work for organizations that are actively suppressing truth to fit their ends, then they aren't worth a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. 

the history of dictators and authoritarianism..again, I am not claiming Trump is so...but the words are the words...see below

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/03/trump-enemy-of-the-people-meaning-history

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

And for the umpteenth time, I DO NOT LIKE TRUMP...but the left has losts its mind, their lies are early and often, and the only difference between what I think and what they think is that THEY think  their work is for the good of the people because their Journo-List bubble blinds them to understand another side that doesn't agree with theirs.

It's clear and obvious, and if you want the charges against them to stop, perhaps the first step would be for people like Acosta to stop making themselves the story.

I understand your point, and I guess my point is that you could make that statement all the way back to the 20's. I watch way too many documentaries, this is no new phenomenon. Negative nabobs of negativity ring a bell?  That administration committed crimes they were so convinced the press was out to crush to them. That was 50 years ago.Lets not forget the bias against Al Smith, the progressive, just cause he was Catholic and the press killing him as an agent of Rome. Bias has always existed, just Trump supporters cry and whine about it more than any group in history.

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

I hate Trump, and I like watching the Left lose it..soooo????

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

the history of dictators and authoritarianism..again, I am not claiming Trump is so...but the words are the words...see below

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/aug/03/trump-enemy-of-the-people-meaning-history

I see what you're saying about the history of that phrase, but I don't think a phrase is proof of totalitarianism. I struggle to see phrases themselves as evil based on their history. They may elicit certain thoughts and ideas, but I think we always need to take it back to the context of the conversation to know what's right and what's wrong. That being said, I don't mind his comments cause I'm not sure he's wrong when he labels the press in that way. Now, if it's some secret nod to Stalin or whatever, that I don't support- obviously. :P

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I don't remember people freaking out this much when Obama was President... and that guy did a lot of ridiculous stuff.

Daring to question Hussein led to cries of racism. Along with cries of "you may not like the man, but you should respect the office!"

Only 1 of these does the left dare to still use today.

10 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Bias has always existed, just Trump supporters cry and whine about it more than any group in history.

This is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read here. You genuinely believe that in the history of the world, Trump supports whine and cry about bias more than any other group?

Wait. Let me guess.  I need to adjust my sarcasm meter.  <_<

What Trump has managed to do is show the bias to be SO blatant and SO obvious, that even non-Trump supports complain about it. You honestly find DC Tom to be a Trump supporter? GG? DR? Me? The orange peanut is embarrassing as all hell, but he makes the left piss their pants so badly and so often, you're essentially left to make ridiculously embarrassing statements like, oh, gee, "Trump supporters cry and whine about it more than any group in history."

Just because you're surrounded by pieholes like 34, Tibs, and @Coach Tuesday (who never met a discussion he couldn't wait to run away from) doesn't excuse you from making similarly ridiculous comments as them.

Try harder. You're no Donner Party jock sniffer.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

This is one of the most ridiculous comments I've ever read here. You genuinely believe that in the history of the world, Trump supports whine and cry about bias more than any other group?

What Trump has managed to do is show the bias to be SO blatant and SO obvious, that even non-Trump supports complain about it. You honestly find DC Tom to be a Trump supporter? GG? DR? Me? The orange peanut is embarrassing as all hell, but he makes the left piss their pants so badly and so often, you're essentially left to make ridiculously embarrassing statements like, oh, gee, "Trump supporters cry and whine about it more than any group in history."

Just because you're surrounded by pieholes like 34, Tibs, and @Coach Tuesday (who never met a discussion he couldn't wait to run away from) doesn't excuse you from making similarly ridiculous comments as them.

Plus all the people you mention were laughing the hardest at the Trump candidacy when he first announced, didn't think he had a chance, thought he would be an awful President who's over his head, and would probably step down within 18 months because the job was too big for him.

We also had something in common, which was the uproarious laughter that he actually bat Hillary, making her the hands down the worst POTUS candidate, despite somebody telling us that she was the most qualified in the history of the world.

And on Nov 7, we all decided to give the orange blob a chance, because he couldn't screw things up too badly, and at the very least he would finally deliver on the 9th summer of economic recovery.   Since that time, he's surprised everyone by being a lot better than the incompetent boob I thought he'd be.  He's still a childish thin skinned narcissist.  But I also can't argue with the results.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, whatdrought said:

The entire world almost ended in a "war"where the most utilized weapon was information.

What "war" are you referring to?

Cuban Missile Crisis?

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, LABillzFan said:

Dude, you are the exact embodiment .of all you claim to disdain. I want folks to be independent, thinking populace, you want people to follow rhetoric.

When I agree with Trump, i don't see the see the hate and scorn, or ridicule about my thoughts being amongst the most ridiculous ever. When I disagree however, I am lowering my self to posters or groups you disagree with and being called a total idiot. It does not bother me BTW. I just know you can be better than just an abject follower. But your posts are proof of whiny ass Trump/Right supporters that say " every one stereotypes me..boo hoo, not fair!. Your opinion is different than mine, you are an idiot co-opted by the media". Jesus, grow a freaking a pair and argue points, not whine about perceived grievances. 

You want people to respect your ideas, you have to respect others ideas. You don't. You dismiss them outright as foolishness. I think you would be hard pressed to find anyone here with any intelligence who says I don't listen to the ideas  of people i disagree with and get persuaded by sound, fact-based arguments. You, however, dismiss any idea that is not the same as yours as idiotic..or as some may say afraid to question your beliefs.

And yes  Trump supporters/Obama haters are the most put upon group I have ever witnessed in my 56 years on this earth..they perceive everything as a slight, see everything as a stereotype, see anyone who wants to argue points and ideas on merit as an "enemy of the state"and brainwashed by the media...in other words afraid to argue points on merit, and only want to rely on slogans and and slander.

Edited by plenzmd1