Your Favorite War Movie

RevWarRifleman

A Bridge Too Far: Good movie, reasonably historically accurate, and an amazing cast - a slew of Oscar winners and nominees on it (Gene Hackman, Elliot Gould, James Caan, Robert Redford, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Lawrence Olivier, Sean Connery, Maximillian Schell, Liv Ullman, Ryan O'Neill).

Das Boot: A bit slow at times, but is is as realistic a portrayal of submarine warfare in World War 2 that you will ever see.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Again, as realistic a portrayal of warfare in the Age of Sail as you will ever see.

We Were Soldiers: Any war movie that gave veterans flashbacks must be pretty realistic.

And one not often considered: Twelve O'Clock High. One of the first movies to show the psychological effects of warfare and PTSD, and still one of the best portrayals of it. Last I checked it was on Netflix; If you haven't seen it, you should.

And my nomination for the worst: Pearl Harbor. Michael Bay takes unrealism to a whole new extreme. If you want to watch an accurate portrayal of Pearl Harbor, watch Tora, Tora, Tora. Or From Here to Eternity. Or 1941. Or The Final Countdown. Or Finding Nemo. Anything but that god-awful movie.

!@#$ you. That's not a war movie. It's a science-fiction movie. And a travesty. So just !@#$ you.

Good post, DC Tom.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry to be that guy (really, I am!), but am I the only one to notice the thread asks for your favorite war move, yet there are so many extensive lists of movies...... like, more war movies than I've ever even seen? Like, "how many war movies can you name in 30 seconds?" I stick with Saving Private Ryan, but did mention Kelly's Heroes.

:)

I'm sorry to be that guy (really, I am!), but am I the only one to notice the thread asks for your favorite war move, yet there are so many extensive lists of movies...... like, more war movies than I've ever even seen? Like, "how many war movies can you name in 30 seconds?" I stick with Saving Private Ryan, but did mention Kelly's Heroes.

:)

It happens on every thread that ever asks for your favorite or the best - by the tenth post, it turns into a list of whatever was asked.

why?

Being a Bills fan may be indicative of some degree of brain damage?

Oops, I thought you were asking why favorites always turn into long lists. Maybe I proved my point?

Edited by Augie

I'm starting to think that people don't know the meaning of "favorite." :lol:

Here is a list of every war movie I've ever seen!

...but I do appreciate the suggestions. If only I had the time (or money) to find and watch them all.

FYI... my brother was on the base during the events of Black Hawk Down. He hates Clinton. He liked the movie.

Every movie has different strengths and weaknesses. If you have "just one" favorite war movie (or any other genre), your opinion probably isn't worth a bucket of warm ****.

The ones I listed...any one might be my favorite over the others on any given day, for different reasons, depending on what I might be most interested on that day.

It happens on every thread that ever asks for your favorite or the best - by the tenth post, it turns into a list of whatever was asked.

Because if it didn't, you'd get five people naming five movies, everyone else saying "agreed," and it would be a short and boring thread.

Saving Private Ryan

Hurt Locker

A Few Good Men just because of a few good one liners in that movie

A Few Good Men, is not a war movie.

I forgot about Fury! That one was awesome

I forgot about that one too.

Very intense and well-made movie.

My top ten, in no particular order:

Saving Private Ryan

The Longest Day

Bridge on the River Kwai

The Great Escape

Patton

The Dirty Dozen

Kelly's Heroes

In Harm's Way

Tora Tora Tora!

Sands of Iwo Jima

If I'm flipping through the channels and one of those come up, I always stop to watch