battle of Britain

memphis belle

bridges at toko ri

the enemy below

the last of the mohicans

the bridge on the river kwai

farewell to the king

i'm sure i've forgotten one or two

The quintessential war movie, my favorite all times war movie is Apocalypse Now.

I end up watching that movie every couple years or so and I like it more every time I see it. Hated the first time.

While I don't think it's really in line with the idea of the thread, I recently watched The Imitation Game and thought it was really good, so I'll throw that out.

Maybe I missed, but with all the names thrown out, I'm surprised Patton hasn't popped up. LONG movie from my childhood. I remember the day we went tot he theater to see it. Not Ben Hurr with an intermission, but it seemed long, good, but long...... The winter scenes were so bleak.

Hmm, I have a bunch:

30 seconds over tokyo

fury

zulu

drums along the mohawk

they were expendable

in harms way

the longest day

the great escape

the 300 spartans (NOT 300)

battle of Britain

memphis belle

bridges at toko ri

the enemy below

the last of the mohicans

farewell to the king

Jeez, all these movies and I haven't seen one. I've only even heard of a few.

Hmm, I have a bunch:

30 seconds over tokyo

fury

zulu

drums along the mohawk

they were expendable

in harms way

the longest day

the great escape

the 300 spartans (NOT 300)

battle of Britain

memphis belle

bridges at toko ri

the enemy below

the last of the mohicans

farewell to the king

I forgot about Fury! That one was awesome

A Bridge Too Far: Good movie, reasonably historically accurate, and an amazing cast - a slew of Oscar winners and nominees on it (Gene Hackman, Elliot Gould, James Caan, Robert Redford, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Lawrence Olivier, Sean Connery, Maximillian Schell, Liv Ullman, Ryan O'Neill).

Das Boot: A bit slow at times, but is is as realistic a portrayal of submarine warfare in World War 2 that you will ever see.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Again, as realistic a portrayal of warfare in the Age of Sail as you will ever see.

We Were Soldiers: Any war movie that gave veterans flashbacks must be pretty realistic.

And one not often considered: Twelve O'Clock High. One of the first movies to show the psychological effects of warfare and PTSD, and still one of the best portrayals of it. Last I checked it was on Netflix; If you haven't seen it, you should.

And my nomination for the worst: Pearl Harbor. Michael Bay takes unrealism to a whole new extreme. If you want to watch an accurate portrayal of Pearl Harbor, watch Tora, Tora, Tora. Or From Here to Eternity. Or 1941. Or The Final Countdown. Or Finding Nemo. Anything but that god-awful movie.

Oh, and

Objective Burma

Zulu Dawn

Battle L.A.

The Beast

Aliens

War of theWorlds (the original)

!@#$ you. That's not a war movie. It's a science-fiction movie. And a travesty. So just !@#$ you.

Not sure it counts as a War movie, but Best Years Of Our Lives about the soldiers coming home from WW2

Red Badge of Courage Audie Murphy

Gettysburg --- go ahead and criticize it, but I like it

Sargent York

Stalingrad --- the German version from 1993

Paths of Glory

A Rumor of War

Midway

All Quiet On The Western Front

A Bridge Too Far: Good movie, reasonably historically accurate, and an amazing cast - a slew of Oscar winners and nominees on it (Gene Hackman, Elliot Gould, James Caan, Robert Redford, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, Lawrence Olivier, Sean Connery, Maximillian Schell, Liv Ullman, Ryan O'Neill).

Das Boot: A bit slow at times, but is is as realistic a portrayal of submarine warfare in World War 2 that you will ever see.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. Again, as realistic a portrayal of warfare in the Age of Sail as you will ever see.

We Were Soldiers: Any war movie that gave veterans flashbacks must be pretty realistic.

And one not often considered: Twelve O'Clock High. One of the first movies to show the psychological effects of warfare and PTSD, and still one of the best portrayals of it. Last I checked it was on Netflix; If you haven't seen it, you should.

And my nomination for the worst: Pearl Harbor. Michael Bay takes unrealism to a whole new extreme. If you want to watch an accurate portrayal of Pearl Harbor, watch Tora, Tora, Tora. Or From Here to Eternity. Or 1941. Or The Final Countdown. Or Finding Nemo. Anything but that god-awful movie.

!@#$ you. That's not a war movie. It's a science-fiction movie. And a travesty. So just !@#$ you.

A Bridge Too Far...YES! That was my vote as well. Saw it as a youngster and still watch it from time to time. Amazing cast. Great plot.

Glory

I think it's a splendid and somewhat overlooked Civil War film.

Saving Private Ryan & Black Hawk Down are definitely up there as well.

I also agree with Augie, in that nobody else has mentioned Patton. Outstanding movie.

I think Patton is on Netflix. I will check it out this weekend.

I'm starting to think that people don't know the meaning of "favorite." :lol:

Here is a list of every war movie I've ever seen!

...but I do appreciate the suggestions. If only I had the time (or money) to find and watch them all.

FYI... my brother was on the base during the events of Black Hawk Down. He hates Clinton. He liked the movie.