Your Favorite War Movie

RevWarRifleman

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I genuinely don't know that I have a favorite war movie in the sense of "Man, I'd throw this movie on any day."

What I know is two movies screwed up the part of me who grew up in a podunk town where everything I learned about history was in a school text book.

Saving Private Ryan and Deer Hunter.

It's impossible for me to imagine what it would be like if we had to relive either of those points in history with today's 20-somethings.

Edited by LABillzFan

I genuinely don't know that I have a favorite war movie in the sense of "Man, I'd throw this movie on any day."

What I know is two movies screwed up the part of me who grew up in a podunk town where everything I learned about history was in a school text book.

Saving Private Ryan and Deer Hunter.

It's impossible for me to imagine what it would be like if we had to relive either of those points in history with today's 20-somethings.

I have three older sisters. Two old enough to have high school friends who were drafted into Vietnam. One was back from his tour and hanging out with my sister. I think I was prying into how cool it must have been for him. He told my sister he'd put me to bed. I never reallly ever remembered exactly what he told me but I do know it messed with me and how I think about war. It ain't the movies.

Every movie has different strengths and weaknesses. If you have "just one" favorite war movie (or any other genre), your opinion probably isn't worth a bucket of warm ****.

The ones I listed...any one might be my favorite over the others on any given day, for different reasons, depending on what I might be most interested on that day.

Because if it didn't, you'd get five people naming five movies, everyone else saying "agreed," and it would be a short and boring thread.

Uh, the title is "your favorite war movie." What makes you think you have to give 5? If you weren't an idiot, and just gave one, we wouldn't see the same ones over and over.

But, your opinion is so much better because you change your favorite movie like you change your socks.

Where Eagles Dare. Yeah I know it's 40+ years old but still a favorite.

I enjoyed that movie too. Who cares if its 40 yrs old, 4 weeks old, or 60 yrs old. If you enjoyed it a lot, that's what my question was.

I have three older sisters. Two old enough to have high school friends who were drafted into Vietnam. One was back from his tour and hanging out with my sister. I think I was prying into how cool it must have been for him. He told my sister he'd put me to bed. I never reallly ever remembered exactly what he told me but I do know it messed with me and how I think about war. It ain't the movies.

It ain't the movies is right. That claim spans generations. I've heard WWII vets, Vietnam war vets, right up to Iraq/Afghanistan vets say that.

Movies just give glimps of what it's like.

Uh, the title is "your favorite war movie." What makes you think you have to give 5? If you weren't an idiot, and just gave one, we wouldn't see the same ones over and over.

But, your opinion is so much better because you change your favorite movie like you change your socks.

Yes, my opinion is so much better. Now shut up

I enjoyed that movie too. Who cares if its 40 yrs old, 4 weeks old, or 60 yrs old. If you enjoyed it a lot, that's what my question was.

It ain't the movies is right. That claim spans generations. I've heard WWII vets, Vietnam war vets, right up to Iraq/Afghanistan vets say that.

Movies just give glimps of what it's like.

I've had a friend I've known for 30 years. A Marine in Vietnam. Never heard him talk about it.

My grandfather was an engineer in WWI. They'd go in and rebuild bridges after battles. He was into photography. His photo album was gruesome. He'd never talk about it though.

Yes, my opinion is so much better. Now shut up

Mars Attacks is my favorite.

Edited by Chef Jim

My two favorites have already been mentioned:

Bridge on the River Kwai

The Caine Mutiny

I'll add a stop, drop and watch movie for me: Sink the Bismarck.

Caine mutiny is good because it is such a different kind of movie about war. It has great footage included and its always fun to see such big ships on filn

This may have been done before, don't know. But...

For me, Platoon. Although I didn't serve in Vietnam, I did served (1968-72) during the war, in the Air Force. There's many things

in the movie that strikes a chord with me. Some of the terms they used were the same ones we used in the barracks & other

places. Referring to the US as "the world", boo koo as lots of something and so on. The partying scene in the bunker was very much like

I experienced. You had the "juicers" in one area, and the "pot heads" in other parts of the barracks. Thus, the music played

in each place was decidedly different too. That scene where those guys partied to Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, I was

one of those guys. Several of my high school classmates went over & fought. One buddy in my art class in hs was in Bravo

company. All these years later, I look at that in an entirely different light.

American Sniper from a few years ago runs a good second place.

I believe that was "beaucoup". Vietnam was a French colony.

I got a person question but you do not need to tell us if you are too embarassed....

How do you know often DC Tom changes his socks or that he even wears them?

I always envisioned him wearing bunny slippers.

I got a person question but you do not need to tell us if you are too embarassed....

How do you know often DC Tom changes his socks or that he even wears them?

I always envisioned him wearing bunny slippers.

Opinions are like bunny slippers. Everyone has some, and they all stink like feet. But mine are better than yours, so shut up.

I believe that was "beaucoup". Vietnam was a French col

I've had a friend I've known for 30 years. A Marine in Vietnam. Never heard him talk about it.

My grandfather was an engineer in WWI. They'd go in and rebuild bridges after battles. He was into photography. His photo album was gruesome. He'd never talk about it though.

Mars Attacks is my favorite.

Many of them don't like to talk about it. In 1994, 50 years after D Day, there were lots of special documentaries and national news coverage of D Day. One vet told, for the first time

ever, he said, about how some of the Americans were cut down by German machine gun fire while trying to cross a road along the hedge rows. The German fire was so heavy, that the

rest of our guys had to stay back. the road was littered with deas & wounded. Allied tanks were called up to push the Germans back so we could use that road. He said all of our guys that were laying in the road had no chance, and so tank after tank rolled over the same bodies for the rest of the day. That guy was sobbing uncontrollably because he had kept that in

all those years he said.

couldn't be rescude, and

guys had to stay back & take cover.