RevWarRifleman

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You people are all godless communists.

PATTON

is the correct answer to the question.

I mentioned Patton earlier. Even a guy who grew up in Buffalo thought those winter scenes were horribly bleak! Almost 3 hours of movie, but good stuff.

I believe that was "beaucoup". Vietnam was a French col

I've had a friend I've known for 30 years. A Marine in Vietnam. Never heard him talk about it.

My grandfather was an engineer in WWI. They'd go in and rebuild bridges after battles. He was into photography. His photo album was gruesome. He'd never talk about it though.

Mars Attacks is my favorite.

Many of them don't like to talk about it. In 1994, 50 years after D Day, there were lots of special documentaries and national news coverage of D Day. One vet told, for the first time

ever, he said, about how some of the Americans were cut down by German machine gun fire while trying to cross a road along the hedge rows. The German fire was so heavy, that the

rest of our guys had to stay back. the road was littered with deas & wounded. Allied tanks were called up to push the Germans back so we could use that road. He said all of our guys that were laying in the road had no chance, and so tank after tank rolled over the same bodies for the rest of the day. That guy was sobbing uncontrollably because he had kept that in

all those years he said.

couldn't be rescude, and

guys had to stay back & take cover.

Things like that are actually very common. Most people think warfare is highly organized. It's not. It's controlled chaos, at best. It's really easy to die stupidly in war, but you rarely hear about it because it doesn't make the unit histories or AARs, and the veterans rarely talk about it.

You know what the most unrealistic thing is in every war movie ever made? Everyone knows what they're shooting at.

Gallipoli. I can still recite a lot of the quotes. All quiet on the Western Front. A very long engagement. Something about Great War films or as Richard Richard would say, "Why don't they call it the crap war?" Not a big War Horse or Water Diviner fan though.

Does Gladiator count?

The Great Escape. Some of those movies lost their interest when I got older and realised it wasn't a Tiger at all.

I like some of the Audy Murphy movies, as I watch I think of how the !@#$ he survived what he did?

Some of the films that made me go and read up on, like Dambusters, Flags of our Fathers, Letters from Iwo Jima. I remember an article in Time Life book on planes of USAAF the story of Red Tails (?) so liked that film. Same as Mosquito squadron and Memphis Belle, that I went to see in person in something like 98- (also my first trip to a Bills game at the Ralph, OK, preseason, & I'm visiting from Melbourne!)

Downfall- for giving us great memes.

What was the Alan Turing film? Good reading after too.

Fury, to see THE Tiger in a film, perhaps the Samur King would have been more realistic, but it was THE Tiger!

Stalingrad. The German one.

My Grandfather and Great Uncle served at Paschendaele, but wasn't a big fan of the Canadian film. Didn't mind the US Lost Battalion, good book too.

My Grandfather is at front...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Passchendaele#/media/File%3AChateauwood.jpg

The film about Max Manus was pretty good.

Schindlers List? Pretty stark film.

Hacksaw Ridge was ok, but I could have watched the interviews they showed at the end for ages. The grease gun bit with Vince Vaughan put a bit of a damper on the efforts (not excluding, why didn't the movie Japs just cut the netting... Oh, and grabbing the .30 with bare hands after firing a belt through it... and...)

I'm a war film junkie I guess. I can't tell you how many Vets I've seen over the years & their families. Amazing stories.

Edited by Shamrock

Starship Troopers was a bad movie adaptation of a good book

The adaptation may have been bad (I never read the book), but the movie was outstanding.

By the time Herr Doogie Howser proclaims the giant leaky vagina is afraid, well, I think everyone agrees that we all felt a big double shot of pride in that day.

Starship Troopers was a bad movie adaptation of a good book

The Starship Troopers movie was parodying the fascist elements present in the book. It was supposed to be a bad adaptation.

The amazing thing is that it missed the mark so widely as parody that it turned out to be a terminally putrid movie. (And by "amazing," I of course mean "thoroughly predictable, as everything Roland Emmerich touches turns to ****.")