How often do you drink?

NCDAWG

Two Harps last night after work in Chicago.. Took wife and kids out for St. Patrick's Day dinner. Went to Fado, but mobbed, line around corner. Scrambled, went to D4 down the street. Had the "grouper Reuben" sandwich, French onion soup... Others ordered their poutine and corned beef.

http://www.d4pub.com/

Haven't been to Fado in almost 19 years. Last time was when my wife was pregnant and she went into labor (son) there... Her water broke while eating dinner on Bloomsday 1998.

Would have been nice @ Fado, but of course mobbed on St. Patrick's Day!

• 3 years later...
13 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

These days?

More than normal. Which is a problem! Damn gym is closed.

Maybe you should go to Bar Louie’s to help you pace yourself? Or possibly die of thirst? 

Back in 1981 between Christmas and New Years I went to a party and got totally smashed  my wife was 6 month prego and they had to help me to the truck across the ice and snow. My wife was on her own to get to the truck. The next morning I got up and said I put my wife and baby in jeopardy so I said I am drinking any more. So I have not had any since 1981. I do not miss it at all. I don't hold it against anyone that does drink it just isn't for me anymore.

• Like (+1) 3

I ain't a teetotaler but growing up with alcoholism and watching a society filled with functional alcoholics has turned me off.

Is it really that great? I guess some need to self-medicate which I got no problem with as long as it doesn't go off the rails and they are able to go dry with no physical cravings.

I drink, but it's not necessary....My last drink was a month ago.

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'd rather stay thirsty and hang out with @Royale with Cheese and @Boyst62 in a parking lot than ever visit a Bar Louie ever again. 

LoL... You forgot @Augie and me!

That was rough, wasn't it!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

These days?

More than normal. Which is a problem! Damn gym is closed.

I've got an odd situation going on. My wife wanted to start working out a few months ago, which means I had to start working out "to keep each other motivated". But being on lockdown due to this virus, I've been killing beers at a blistering pace since all the kids activities are cancelled. I think the exercise is winning out though because I got to use a hole in my belt that I haven't for a few years.

I very rarely touch the stuff but when I do I binge.

We don't keep much in the house. Just a bottle of spiced rum just in case a situation arises where we need a quick nip. Bit this is extremely rare. I don't drink at all during the week. 

I only tend to drink on odd nights out with friends when we hit the town or make a day/night of a soccer game somewhere. Both these instances tend to be what we call in Britain "a sesh". Out 11am Saturday and then that's it until sometime early hours of Sunday. 

I can't manage these very often anymore. I've only drank once in 2020 so far.

Edited by BritBill
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I've got an odd situation going on. My wife wanted to start working out a few months ago, which means I had to start working out "to keep each other motivated". But being on lockdown due to this virus, I've been killing beers at a blistering pace since all the kids activities are cancelled. I think the exercise is winning out though because I got to use a hole in my belt that I haven't for a few years.

"Blistering Pace" is a great band name.

• Like (+1) 1

How often to I drink?

As often as possible!

Sorry, I don't read the entire thread. I assume that line has already been used.

Anyway, with exceptions for days when I'm not feeling well, I drink virtually every day. I have 4-6 drinks, most days. And yes, sometimes I have even more. But I don't drink to get drunk anymore. In fact, I rarely drank to get drunk---sometimes it was just a happy byproduct. 

Much of my drinking comes with meals, and is spaced out through the day. I may splash a little Irish Creme in my coffee in the AM. Maybe a beer, or glass of wine with lunch, if I stop somewhere. Probably a nice bourbon before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner. Maybe a nightcap or two before bedtime. Typically herbal tea, with honey lemon and a splash of whiskey or brandy right before bed. I do virtually no binge drinking anymore. 

Over the past 3-4 years I've cut my drinking down to 30%-50% in an attempt to lose weight. (For example, when I go out to eat, I drink. So I've tried to limit lunches while out on calls. I still treat myself once in awhile, but nothing like I used to do.) I went from a high of 260 lbs to my current weight of about 193 lbs. Don't get me wrong, I'm still fat and drink too much. 

I have a standing Dr appointment every two months (I use an opiate pain patch---so it's required). Get my blood tests every year (including liver and kidney enzymes, etc). Also get a kidney/liver ultrasound every few years. Last one in February revealed no change from a few years ago. (Hurray!)

So, do I drink too much? I think yes, that goes without saying. But I also think I drink a little differently than many people. Not sure how much that matters, though.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, The Dean said:

How often to I drink?

As often as possible!

Sorry, I don't read the entire thread. I assume that line has already been used.

Anyway, with exceptions for days when I'm not feeling well, I drink virtually every day. I have 4-6 drinks, most days. And yes, sometimes I have even more. But I don't drink to get drunk anymore. In fact, I rarely drank to get drunk---sometimes it was just a happy byproduct. 

Much of my drinking comes with meals, and is spaced out through the day. I may splash a little Irish Creme in my coffee in the AM. Maybe a beer, or glass of wine with lunch, if I stop somewhere. Probably a nice bourbon before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner. Maybe a nightcap or two before bedtime. Typically herbal tea, with honey lemon and a splash of whiskey or brandy right before bed. I do virtually no binge drinking anymore. 

Over the past 3-4 years I've cut my drinking down to 30%-50% in an attempt to lose weight. (For example, when I go out to eat, I drink. So I've tried to limit lunches while out on calls. I still treat myself once in awhile, but nothing like I used to do.) I went from a high of 260 lbs to my current weight of about 193 lbs. Don't get me wrong, I'm still fat and drink too much. 

I have a standing Dr appointment every two months (I use an opiate pain patch---so it's required). Get my blood tests every year (including liver and kidney enzymes, etc). Also get a kidney/liver ultrasound every few years. Last one in February revealed no change from a few years ago. (Hurray!)

So, do I drink too much? I think yes, that goes without saying. But I also think I drink a little differently than many people. Not sure how much that matters, though.

HUGE congrats on the weight loss. What a great difference that must make! Go pick up 60 lbs of plates at a gym, and imagine carrying all that and more around with you. (Obviously I don’t have to tell YOU.)  I thought the old weight loss commercial with a 12-14 lb bowling ball was impressive. 

I could lose maybe 5 lbs, 10 if you look at those crazy charts. It’s not how much I weigh, the problem is more what makes up that weight. I’m just not as active as I used to be, but I still drink like I used to. We eat pretty healthy. I picked up a bunch of soups and frozen stuff about 10 days ago when that was the only stuff in the store. When I got home I read some labels. YIKES! I’d feel almost guilty giving it away at a food bank!