UB won't offer scholarship to Khalil Mack's brother

PromoTheRobot

I don't have an issue with this, at all. His brother should earn the scholarship on his own merit. I'm not aware of legacy scholarships at other programs. OSU didn't offer Antoine Winfield's kid or Chris Spielman's kid, both of who went on to play at other Div 1 schools, and there is a host of other examples. North Carolina didn't offer Michael Jordan's kid. If the kid can play, has the right measurables, has decent background, and can qualify academically he will be offered a scholarship somewhere.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I don't have an issue with this, at all. His brother should earn the scholarship on his own merit. I'm not aware of legacy scholarships at other programs. OSU didn't offer Antoine Winfield's kid or Chris Spielman's kid, both of who went on to play at other Div 1 schools, and there is a host of other examples. North Carolina didn't offer Michael Jordan's kid. If the kid can play, has the right measurables, has decent background, and can qualify academically he will be offered a scholarship somewhere.

That's OSU. We're talking UB, the school with three bowl trips in its history and winning seasons as often as Haley's Comet.

That's OSU. We're talking UB, the school with three bowl trips in its history and winning seasons as often as Haley's Comet.

maybe i would see it differently if it was my alma Mater or I was a fan of the program. Objectively, if they want to build a winning program they need to do it with the right players. If Mack's brother fits that profile and they didn't offer him, then I don't get it. But if he doesn't, offering him solely because he's his brother don't make them improve, it makes them look second rate. Is this for 2018 or 2019, and what other schools have already offered him? Edited by YoloinOhio

• 3 weeks later...

Gee... What a shock! I can see the full tuition paying students just lining up to sign on, saying: "We gotta go to UB! Mack's Baby Bro is going!"

:-/

When you have a program as insignificant as UB, you can't afford to piss off your most famous graduate. Khalil Mack is a weekly TV ad for UB football.

Now UB basketball is another story. Going for their third MAC title and dance ticket in a row this week. Go Bulls!

Edited by PromoTheRobot

When you have a program as insignificant as UB, you can't afford to piss off your most famous graduate. Khalil Mack is a weekly TV ad for UB football.

Now UB basketball is another story. Going for their third MAC title and dance ticket in a row this week. Go Bulls!

I understand that. But come on, is Mack this clueless that his Bro needs a free ride... What a selfish, self-serving Jerk. How many full paying students now gotta cover this rich douchebag's azz. Gee, but don't piss off the rich benefactor!

Isn't Bobby Hurley struggling out west too? Although I know the Pac-12 is a little different than the MAC.

Cool, now I have a team to root for. Mine is god awful and may not make the NIT.

Isn't Bobby Hurley struggling out west too? Although I know the Pac-12 is a little different than the MAC.

F##k that guy. I hope he rots in the desert.

Cool, now I have a team to root for. Mine is god awful and may not make the NIT.

They play Kent State tonight in the QFs. Game is 9pm on WatchESPN.

I understand that. But come on, is Mack this clueless that his Bro needs a free ride... What a selfish, self-serving Jerk. How many full paying students now gotta cover this rich douchebag's azz. Gee, but don't piss off the rich benefactor!

It has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with stroking Mack by wanting his legacy. Edited by PromoTheRobot

F##k that guy. I hope he rots in the desert.

They play Kent State tonight in the QFs. Game is 9pm on WatchESPN.

It has nothing to do with money. It has everything to do with stroking Mack by wanting his legacy.

It has everything to do with money. Somebody is picking up the tab while these pukes get a free ride.

I want to see Mack donate a couple million dollars to UB and I will call it a wash @ the very least.

It has everything to do with money. Somebody is picking up the tab while these pukes get a free ride.

I want to see Mack donate a couple million dollars to UB and I will call it a wash @ the very least.

Maybe he did, and that's why the bro got the scholarship? Either way I think worrying about the "legacy of Mack" is inconsequential. It doesn't look like UB football is ever going to become something many people care about anyway.

Maybe he did, and that's why the bro got the scholarship? Either way I think worrying about the "legacy of Mack" is inconsequential. It doesn't look like UB football is ever going to become something many people care about anyway.

Exactly! Like they will get dollar value with recruits to UB because of Mack. LoL! UB?

Then advertise Mack donated. Right now the school is, in my eyes, in the deficit because of the Baby Mack scholarship.

Start holding these people like Mack feet to the fire.

There is a tuition crisis in this country. And sports culture isn't helping.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• 3 years later...
On 2/22/2021 at 4:53 PM, Nathan12O'Sullivan said:

a couple of years ago, everyone was getting the scholarship so easily. Now I am wondering what needs to be done to get a scholarship in 2021 ... I don’t understand how it seems, now it seems not possible!

I think there is no point in receiving a scholarship in 2021. Not really, if not joking. That is, there are many ways, so I read an article on this topic https://ghanasoccernet.com/how-can-young-sportsmen-get-scholarship-for-study-abroad all possible ways are described there. It all starts with where you study and what kind of sport you have. And it all ends with the fact that you take an academic exam at other universities and you can be awarded a scholarship for half a year. So consider if it's worth it.

Edited by Mark90

On 2/15/2017 at 8:52 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

http://www.ubbullrun.com/buffalo-football/2017/2/13/14604648/buffalo-bulls-football-refuses-to-offer-khalil-macks-brother-a-scholarship#comments

I don't know how good the kid is but is it worth burning a bridge to the most successful player your football program ever produced? :doh:

I don’t agree with this. If they give a ride to this kid and he is undeserving that’s burns a bridge with everyone on the team. 

On 3/8/2017 at 10:33 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't understand your reasoning and what you are advocating for? If the most successful coach in the school's history felt that Khalil's brother deserved a scholarship he would have offered it. Why does being a brother to one of the program's best players warrant a scholarship offer? If another player is better or is better suited for the program then that player should get the scholarship. Coaches all the time make tough decisions as to who should get a scholarship and who should not. This current coach has successfully rebuilt a moribund program and for the past number of years turned what was an irrelevant and invisible program into a consistently good mid-major program. If I'm going to give anyone the benefit of the doubt it is going to be Leipold. I simply don' see what the issue is here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.