Valentines Day

IslandBillsFan

Hello All,

I hope you are enjoying the most commercialized and semi-sexist holiday of the year. All you guys out there be sure to buy your significant others a bunch of crap while receiving nothing in return.

First, a random thought to put everyone in a good mood: I just was listening to Bill Burr's podcast and he was naming all time great teams. He mentioned the 2016/17 Patriots half jokingly. Either way, it got me thinking the Bills were one of only two teams to beat them this year. At least we have that. As years go by, hopefully everyone forgets they were decimated by injuries and were playing their injured 3rd string QB.

On a second note, anyone have any good/funny Valentines day stories? I'll start. And sorry it's not that funny but I thought it was cool never the less.

When I was a high school senior (2000) I took my current girlfriend out for v-day to a Macaroni Grill. (At the time, this was the classist and most romantic place I knew.) Being a broke student, I was hoping to get out of there paying less that $50. As the meal was going down the waiter kept bringing us dishes we didn't ask for. Extra appetizers, a bottle of wine (even though we were clearly underage) and deserts. I was crapping my pants thinking about the bill.

However, when we had finished I asked for the check and the waiter told me, "Don't worry about the check. Another table has taken care of it for you." I was at first confused and asked what was going on. The waiter then proceeded to tell me there was an older couple who goes out for Valentines day ever year and picks up the check of a young couples table. Upon hearing this, I asked who the couple was so I could go over and thank them. The waiter said they wanted to remain anonymous and wouldn't tell me. Not knowing what to do, I just stood up and waived and mouthed thank you to the restaurant.

Despite my loathing of Valentines day I thought this was a cool idea and swore when I got older I would do the same thing every year. With that in mind I am taking my girlfriend out tonight and will be picking up one younger couples checks at some place classy. I was thinking of Mighty Taco or Long John Silvers.

Happy Valentines Day.

I don't mind valentine's day. My girlfriend is from Nepal, and didn't know that in general, men don't get gifts today.

So when she asks what I'm getting her, I respond by repeating the question back to her. Long story short, I'm liking my new Citizen ecodrive.

And that's a cool story about the older couple picking up your check. I'm tempted to do something similar.

Hello All,

I hope you are enjoying the most commercialized and semi-sexist holiday of the year. All you guys out there be sure to buy your significant others a bunch of crap while receiving nothing in return.

First, a random thought to put everyone in a good mood: I just was listening to Bill Burr's podcast and he was naming all time great teams. He mentioned the 2016/17 Patriots half jokingly. Either way, it got me thinking the Bills were one of only two teams to beat them this year. At least we have that. As years go by, hopefully everyone forgets they were decimated by injuries and were playing their injured 3rd string QB.

On a second note, anyone have any good/funny Valentines day stories? I'll start. And sorry it's not that funny but I thought it was cool never the less.

When I was a high school senior (2000) I took my current girlfriend out for v-day to a Macaroni Grill. (At the time, this was the classist and most romantic place I knew.) Being a broke student, I was hoping to get out of there paying less that $50. As the meal was going down the waiter kept bringing us dishes we didn't ask for. Extra appetizers, a bottle of wine (even though we were clearly underage) and deserts. I was crapping my pants thinking about the bill.

However, when we had finished I asked for the check and the waiter told me, "Don't worry about the check. Another table has taken care of it for you." I was at first confused and asked what was going on. The waiter then proceeded to tell me there was an older couple who goes out for Valentines day ever year and picks up the check of a young couples table. Upon hearing this, I asked who the couple was so I could go over and thank them. The waiter said they wanted to remain anonymous and wouldn't tell me. Not knowing what to do, I just stood up and waived and mouthed thank you to the restaurant.

Despite my loathing of Valentines day I thought this was a cool idea and swore when I got older I would do the same thing every year. With that in mind I am taking my girlfriend out tonight and will be picking up one younger couples checks at some place classy. I was thinking of Mighty Taco or Long John Silvers.

Happy Valentines Day.

Not gonna lie when you first started talking about a cool Valentine' Day Story I thought It was gonna be lame but that actually was a pretty cool story I enjoyed reading so kudos to you Sir. Now get out there and pay it forward, Super Mighty's and 3-Cheese Burritos for all the young lovebirds out there tonight

Our anniversary is tomorrow. It's kind of like having a birthday at Christmas....it all runs together. I did learn that the yellow roses with red tips (that she likes) from the top florist in town cost almost $150 and die in 2 days, but the ones from Costco cost more like $15 and last 2 weeks. I'm learning!

Yesterday was the third anniversary of my wife passing. Needless to say I don't celebrate Valentines day anymore. :(

Oh wow....so very sorry to hear that. My wife's father was dying at Christmas, but fought like a beast to hang on another day or two. He didn't want it tied to his passing, he was very clear about that. Good man.

Our anniversary is tomorrow. It's kind of like having a birthday at Christmas....it all runs together. I did learn that the yellow roses with red tips (that she likes) from the top florist in town cost almost $150 and die in 2 days, but the ones from Costco cost more like $15 and last 2 weeks. I'm learning!

And... There is always a price to pay. Have you ever noticed that roses don't really smell anymore?

http://evocativeperfumes.com/blog/?p=160

"...But there has been a price to pay. All of this hybridisation has somehow resulted in the loss of scent. No-one seems to know why exactly. Some say that the gene for scent is recessive and has mostly been bred out. Another possibility could be that scent scores low in rose trials because smell is so subjective and difficult to judge, so breeders can’t be bothered with it as a result. Breeding for scent is not easy, apparently and there is no guarantee that two fragrant parent roses will produce a scented progeny..."