The NFL Gets Into Politics - Do You Care?

IDBillzFan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time someone brings up the "our wives and daughters will be exposed to creeps masquerading as women" argument as justification for supporting these discriminatory laws I shake my head, because the statistics simply don't support that this is a significant issue whatsoever. Bad people will be bad people, regardless of any law that tells them what bathroom they're allowed to use.

I have no problem with the NFL or any organization taking a stand against discrimination.

You think citizens of NC didn't have a problem with HB2? This state's electorate voted for Trump and STILL ousted the republican governor who pushed the law through.

Every time someone brings up the "our wives and daughters will be exposed to creeps masquerading as women" argument as justification for supporting these discriminatory laws I shake my head, because the statistics simply don't support that this is a significant issue whatsoever. Bad people will be bad people, regardless of any law that tells them what bathroom they're allowed to use.

I have no problem with the NFL or any organization taking a stand against discrimination.

You think citizens of NC didn't have a problem with HB2? This state's electorate voted for Trump and STILL ousted the republican governor who pushed the law through.

Yep, it's a really weak argument.

that's where i felt this 'discussion' went off track completely

You can piss in a Porta Potty next to your friends.

You can't piss outside, infront of your friends.

You can go inside the stadium and piss infront of your friends mom.

Sure you can!

Somebody doesn't know the difference between can and may.

;-) :-P

And what's the big deal, female washrooms are all divided up into private stalls, what is the difference if one is there or 12" away in a porta-potty. It isn't like they have open urinals as in a Men's room.

Every time someone brings up the "our wives and daughters will be exposed to creeps masquerading as women" argument as justification for supporting these discriminatory laws I shake my head, because the statistics simply don't support that this is a significant issue whatsoever.

It happens about as often as we have people with penises complaining they identify as a woman and are upset they have to use the men's room.

BOTH are ridiculously stupid things that not only do not happen that often, they don't demand legislation one way or another any more than they demand a professional sport to stand in judgement of it. And the latter is where I am trying to draw the line.

In other words, why is the only argument on this subject from the NFL that transgenders should do what they want, and if you don't like, you (state of Texas) will pay the consequences? Why not just make a third bathroom stall? Why is THAT not an option? Why is the NFL NOT insisting that every stadium designate bathrooms that are transgender specific? Wouldn't that be the most logical way to address the issue for everyone instead of only taking a position that requires you to do nothing but take a position?

But no. That would be too difficult. A simple threat from the NFL will suffice, thank you.

@LABillz -- the only laws being passed are the discriminatory ones...it's not a bad thing to protest those laws. And I'm pretty sure the whole point to the transgendered population is that they should not be considered a "third" type of person.

@LABillz -- the only laws being passed are the discriminatory ones...it's not a bad thing to protest those laws. And I'm pretty sure the whole point to the transgendered population is that they should not be considered a "third" type of person.

Actually, the whole point of the transgender discussion is to create division to create agitation to create distractions. There is no problem with protesting laws. Goodell is welcome to stand in the streets and block traffic so transgenders can use whatever bathroom they choose.

That he finds it necessary to bring it to the forefront of the place I go to avoid these stupid distractions is where I, personally, have a problem. The Kaepernick nonsense really made me realize that when that wall of entertainment is broken down by the people who live to agitate and distract, I have to find a new place of entertainment and hope the distractor/agitators don't find their way there, too..

Goodell pretty much just opened the door to them, and if they make a bunch of noise again, I could genuinely walk away from a sport and team I've followed for over 45 years.

And that's really too bad.

Anyone know a good curling team?

It happens about as often as we have people with penises complaining they identify as a woman and are upset they have to use the men's room.

BOTH are ridiculously stupid things that not only do not happen that often, they don't demand legislation one way or another any more than they demand a professional sport to stand in judgement of it. And the latter is where I am trying to draw the line.

In other words, why is the only argument on this subject from the NFL that transgenders should do what they want, and if you don't like, you (state of Texas) will pay the consequences? Why not just make a third bathroom stall? Why is THAT not an option? Why is the NFL NOT insisting that every stadium designate bathrooms that are transgender specific? Wouldn't that be the most logical way to address the issue for everyone instead of only taking a position that requires you to do nothing but take a position?

But no. That would be too difficult. A simple threat from the NFL will suffice, thank you.

The individual political argument doesn't matter to me. The NFL is a business and like any business should be free to define itself. IMO it is a massively stupid decision on their part to pick fights in political arguments. It doesn't really matter if transgender restrooms are the "political football" or if it is something else. I think they are stupid to do it, because they are going to alienate some small percentage of their customer base regardless of the stance they take. Then....there will be some new political football and they will have to take a position, because if they don't some group will say "why the transgenders but not us NFL?". Whatever position they take on that topic will annoy a different small percentage of their base. Then another and another and another. They're being stupid.

Does the NFL have ANYTHING to do with transgender bathrooms? Gun Control? Abortion? Assisted Suicide? Global climate whatever they call it now? They either need to take a stance on all of that stuff or none of it. To me, it is their prerogative but it seems obvious that none of it is the better option. And this doesn't mean they can't be community oriented. There is a big difference in being community oriented and politically oriented.

Does the NFL have ANYTHING to do with transgender bathrooms? Gun Control? Abortion? Assisted Suicide? Global climate whatever they call it now? They either need to take a stance on all of that stuff or none of it. To me, it is their prerogative but it seems obvious that none of it is the better option. And this doesn't mean they can't be community oriented. There is a big difference in being community oriented and politically oriented.

No they don't.

Bathrooms are relevant to the game day experience. The other stuff, outside of maybe Buffalo, not so much

You must not have read the link in the OP. The proposed law has no impact on game day.

?

“The NFL embraces inclusiveness. We want all fans to feel welcomed at our events and NFL policies prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard,” league spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement. “If a proposal that is discriminatory or inconsistent with our values were to become law [in Texas], that would certainly be a factor considered when thinking about awarding future events.”

?

“The NFL embraces inclusiveness. We want all fans to feel welcomed at our events and NFL policies prohibit discrimination based on age, gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other improper standard,” league spokesman Brian McCarthy said in a statement. “If a proposal that is discriminatory or inconsistent with our values were to become law [in Texas], that would certainly be a factor considered when thinking about awarding future events.”

Dude. That quote has zero to do with a game day experience. At least not correctly. And is the NFL prepared to move the Cowboys and Texans? Because inclusiveness is not only for Super Bowl Sunday.

Supporters of the measure, including Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick ® and its chief sponsor, state Sen. Lois Kolkhorst ®, said their bill has carve-outs that address concerns raised by the NCAA and the NFL.

Edited by 4merper4mer

And is the NFL prepared to move the Cowboys and Texans? Because inclusiveness is not only for Super Bowl Sunday.

So then why simply threaten?

The NFL has the right to run its business as they see fit and you have the right to disapprove and spend your dollars elsewhere. Welcome to America.

The NFL has the right to run its business as they see fit and you have the right to disapprove and spend your dollars elsewhere. Welcome to America.

Which is, y'know, sort of the point of me creating this thread. I'm curious if the NFL spending its time directly involved in voicing political preferences is something that would drive fans away.

Nobody in this thread has objected to what you said above, nor have they even implied a problem with it.

I have said I think they are stupid for taking a political stance. That is very different from saying they don't have the right.

The notation I made about the Cowboys and Texans merely points out an inconsistency, however exaggerated. You seem a bit fixated on the transgender bathroom. My opinion is about political stances in general.