Oroville Dam Spillways Ready to Break?

ExiledInIllinois

"EMERGENCY EVACUATION ORDER ISSUED: Officials are anticipating a failure of the Auxiliary Spillway at Oroville Dam within the next 60 minutes. Residents of Oroville should evacuate in a northward direction, toward Chico. Other cities should follow the orders of their local law enforcement."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/02/12/expected-dam-spillway-fail-prompts-calif-evacuation/97834632/

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2017/02/12/emergency-evacuations-ordered-oroville-dam-spillway-fails/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is turning in to a huge mess. Between the erosion damage and fisheries damage alone, it's probably already pushing a half-billion dollars.

What do you think the Fed is gonna do now that California is on the grade A schit list with the powers that be? Time to use this to "wheel and deal"... As I shake my head.

??

What do you think the Fed is gonna do now that California is on the grade A schit list with the powers that be? Time to use this to "wheel and deal"... As I shake my head.

??

What'll probably happen is that California will B word about not getting immediate federal aid, Trump will tweet something that basically boils down to "Tough **** - just kidding!" And a small minority of people will point out that the state didn't request assistance, which they need to do before they can get assistance.

It is a state-owned and -operated dam, by the way. Entirely California's responsibility. I have absolutely no doubt that a majority of idiots will see this as a federal responsibility, though.

What'll probably happen is that California will B word about not getting immediate federal aid, Trump will tweet something that basically boils down to "Tough **** - just kidding!" And a small minority of people will point out that the state didn't request assistance, which they need to do before they can get assistance.

It is a state-owned and -operated dam, by the way. Entirely California's responsibility. I have absolutely no doubt that a majority of idiots will see this as a federal responsibility, though.

Thanks... I didn't look it up. So right.

What a mess. Traffic is a clusterph**k.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sacbee.relaymedia.com/amp/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article132332499.html?client=ms-android-verizon

It appears the lake water elevation is lower than the over flow now... Good thing!

Here is a good article.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/11/emergency-spillway-used-at-oroville-dam-for-first-time/amp/?client=ms-android-verizon

If I figure out how to edit title, I will. Dam not in danger seeing how it is built on bedrock.

"The dam, which is built into bedrock, is not in danger of failing, he added.

The emergency spillway had not been used before at the reservoir, which opened in 1968. The structure is a key feature in a series of dams and canals that deliver water to 25 million Californians, including many in San Jose, Livermore, Pleasanton, Fremont, Union City, and Los Angeles."

Here is a good article.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/11/emergency-spillway-used-at-oroville-dam-for-first-time/amp/?client=ms-android-verizon

If I figure out how to edit title, I will. Dam not in danger seeing how it is built on bedrock.

"The dam, which is built into bedrock, is not in danger of failing, he added.

The emergency spillway had not been used before at the reservoir, which opened in 1968. The structure is a key feature in a series of dams and canals that deliver water to 25 million Californians, including many in San Jose, Livermore, Pleasanton, Fremont, Union City, and Los Angeles."

The dam's not in danger because it's a separate structure from the spillways. The only way the dam's in danger is if it's over-topped or eroded from the side by the failed main spillway. The first won't happen (the spillways will fail long before the dam's overtopped) and the second is unlikely given the distance between the spillway and the dam (2000ish feet). Still a major disaster. Now they have to rebuild both spillways. And the power station is offline now.

And people are complaining "We weren't given any warning!" Yeah, because this has developed that quickly. There was nothing wrong three days ago, now the entire hillside containing both spillways is wrecked. Sometimes **** just happens that fast.

The thing that really kills me is all these reservoirs that are filled to above capacity and we're just dumping water. The state has a long history of droughts but Sacramento has not figured a way to save and store water for a "non-rainy" day. I catch the water in my shower as it heats up in a bucket and use that to refill my toilet when I flush. It's just become a routine thing for us. In the summer when the rains stop we will use that water to partially irrigate our yard/garden.

The thing that really kills me is all these reservoirs that are filled to above capacity and we're just dumping water. The state has a long history of droughts but Sacramento has not figured a way to save and store water for a "non-rainy" day. I catch the water in my shower as it heats up in a bucket and use that to refill my toilet when I flush. It's just become a routine thing for us. In the summer when the rains stop we will use that water to partially irrigate our yard/garden.

Do you repurpose your pee pee?

Chef Jim:

HollyAshTreeHugger1597w.jpg

This dam,like many others was more than likely designed for flood protection primarily after some apocalyptic flooding in the 1950s where the flooding was the heaviest on record. I know that sounds bizarre considering the bad drought the state has been in, but it wasn't always that way.

https://pubs.usgs.gov/wsp/1137f/report.pdf

I understand your idea - they'd essentially need to pump it to above ground or below ground storage tanks.

I have a problem with the state never using the emergency spillway - ever.

The dam has been around since 1968 and doesn't it make sense to use it and test it at least once a decade or something?

Maybe I am wrong. But, isn't this like the "emergency hole" in your bathroom sink or bathtub?

How can they use the emergency spillway if the elevation hasn't reach it yet. Just like your bathroom sink. Water won't go down the hole to the drain if it can't reach it.

And sure as schit... They won't close main (& power genernating) spillway just to fill up the lake and watch it shoot down the emergency race. Again, like filling up your tub to see if water will go through emergency hole. That's taking a chance man... With these flows..

...We are talking roughly the cfs of Niagara Falls!!!... Which by the way, Niagra Falls and the river is not really a "river"... It's a "spillway". The Niagara Escarpment is the "dam."

They do. The Feather River... Los Angeles, San Jose, etc... Use this water via canals & aqueducts... This complex is one of if not THEE largest supplier of aqua to Cali.

Emergency spill, doesnt generate power. They moved transmission lines out of way that were coming from the main release race/spillway. Map shows transmission lines cross emergency spill. Of course they leave the towers?

We are talking Niagara flows here. 100,000cfs Niagara during day for aesthetic beauty, tourist flow and 50k @ night while water is diverted for power generation.

The dam's not in danger because it's a separate structure from the spillways. The only way the dam's in danger is if it's over-topped or eroded from the side by the failed main spillway. The first won't happen (the spillways will fail long before the dam's overtopped) and the second is unlikely given the distance between the spillway and the dam (2000ish feet). Still a major disaster. Now they have to rebuild both spillways. And the power station is offline now.

And people are complaining "We weren't given any warning!" Yeah, because this has developed that quickly. There was nothing wrong three days ago, now the entire hillside containing both spillways is wrecked. Sometimes **** just happens that fast.

Yeah... Thanks. I knew nothing of this complex outside of seeing pics during low water, drought. I am not sure how to edit title. This is highest dam in country, higher than Hoover dam. Just beats Hoover by 40' I think?

@ least we all get a lesson on dam building. :-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois