I Need Reading Glasses

Tiberius

Oh man, that sounds complicated! I'm just going to try some on and hope I find the right ones

Ryan Miller, lol!!

Ha! Just go to Zenni.com. Open account, download picture and start trying on. Ha!

They make them in China! LMAO!

Just don't tell the doc @ VisionWorks what you are doing... He might get pissed. If you feel guilty, drop a grand first on glasses @ VisionWorks... Then, with Rx in hand, go get yourself another pair for $30 bucks.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Just go to Zenni.com. Open account, download picture and start trying on. Ha!

They make them in China! LMAO!

Just don't tell the doc @ VisionWorks what you are doing... He might get pissed. If you feel guilty, drop a grand first on glasses @ VisionWorks... Then, with Rx in hand, go get yourself another pair for $30 bucks.

That looks good! Zenni!

I'm really getting tired of people making fun of me for that!

Haha! Me too! I think part of the reason I order the same kind and amount of drinks at the local bar is so I don't have to strain to read the check, I already know exactly how much it is everytime!

The do have American competitors, if you are patriotic. ;-)

It is just reading goggles... Just do what my father-in-law would do, cheap azz... Go to Rite Aid and try on a few pairs of Foster Grant reading glasses. You will be a hit w/ladies too!

Hey - if you cant beat them, join them. I get my readers / cheaters at Meijer. Have about half a dozen scattered between the house, work, car.

I just have multiple pairs of glasses. One pair for general use, one for computer work, one for reading. Moving my head is too much effort.

(Actually, I found that trifocals drastically impacted my reading speed, and gave me a stiff neck at the computer. Dedicated glasses are better in each case.)

Agree regarding using of bifocals. Tried no line bifocals and spot bifocals and neither are right for me.

What complicates my eye issue is I have had "lazy eye" since I could read at 3 and the patch to try to strengthen eye muscle did not work.

I looked into eye surgery and was told they would not do it on my good eye due to chance of failure making become legally blind (my right eye vision is that bad).

I had to have someone read my credit card number once! That felt strange

Yes and often credit cards are not designed for those with low vision in mind. I have a card taped to monitor at home with large print when I need to enter credit card info.

Agree regarding using of bifocals. Tried no line bifocals and spot bifocals and neither are right for me.

What complicates my eye issue is I have had "lazy eye" since I could read at 3 and the patch to try to strengthen eye muscle did not work.

I looked into eye surgery and was told they would not do it on my good eye due to chance of failure making become legally blind (my right eye vision is that bad).

Yes and often credit cards are not designed for those with low vision in mind. I have a card taped to monitor at home with large print when I need to enter credit card info.

Probably not the thing to do, security-wise... I just copy and paste the account number. Copy it from a file. Same with passwords, they have gotten so long @ work, 15-16 characters. They change every 60 days and you can't keep a pattern. I just let them generate a God awful long, complicated one... Then copy and paste. That's probably really bad, right? Heck, I can't remember them all! I keep the file non-descriptive.

I clear clipboard right after use.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'm 57 and have had glasses/contacts since HS. I couple years ago I had cheaters on my shirt, in the car, my kitchen, office, bedroom and everywhere else. I changed to multi-focal contacts and haven't touched the cheaters in over a year. I lost a tiny bit on distance (life is a series of compromises), but life is so much simpler! The only time I need a little help is a dark restaurant, and I use the flashlight app for that.

And now you're blind? :o

I can see like my 8 year old self again. It's magical.

Lasik really was a miracle for me. 20/750ish before surgery. 30 minutes later I had better than 20/20 in both eyes. My sight is better now than any time before surgery, but not as good as immediately after .

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

I can see like my 8 year old self again. It's magical.

Lasik really was a miracle for me. 20/750ish before surgery. 30 minutes later I had better than 20/20 in both eyes. My sight is better now than any time before surgery, but not as good as immediately after .

Wow! How long ago was the surgery? My hesitation is the eyes keep changing. I'm getting by fine, so....

Well, went to Rite-Aid and put on a pair and looked at my iphone and it looked great. I thought it looked just like it was suppose to, what's the big deal and then I took them off and the phone was all a blur! So the glasses are great. 1.5 works great. Went home and read and they worked so well. Hard to get use to the blur of looking up though. The cat got on my chest and in my face and his big face was kind of strange, but that's ok.

Well, went to Rite-Aid and put on a pair and looked at my iphone and it looked great. I thought it looked just like it was suppose to, what's the big deal and then I took them off and the phone was all a blur! So the glasses are great. 1.5 works great. Went home and read and they worked so well. Hard to get use to the blur of looking up though. The cat got on my chest and in my face and his big face was kind of strange, but that's ok.

Good you found a cheap solution. I have been using progressives and bifocal contact lenses (for those 'special' evenings).

BTW, a doctor friend of mine told me that there is little evidence that excessive computer or phone usage harms the eye-sight. He said there are way too many other factors esp genetics which are stronger.