Can We Just Take a Moment and Be Grateful For The Pegulas

ndirish1978

I disagree. Bad ownerships won't spend money on players, MILKS the franchises of money, RAISING ticket prices while the team LOSES because of a faithful fanbase (Toronto Mapleleafs, Toronto FC). Pegulas have spent money on this roster, spent a ton on coaching staff that was, prior to Bills' tenure had somewhat successful track records. And last I checked, Bills ticket prices are some of the lowest in the NFL.

Yes they are still learning, but you're lucky to have a team in upstate NY. This team would make more money in Toronto. Heck yeah the product's been bad, I agree. At least it's been ENTERTAINING! Rex didn't win, but crap he WAS entertaining. Shady and Watkins are still worth watching even on a losing team. It could be worse. Bills got somewhat relevant again, and not the complete laughing stock that it was in prior years.

They did this, IIRC.

Still learning? They've owned the Sabres for 7 years.

Relevant? We were relevant before at 9-7 with a ferocious defense. The Pegulas came into the picture and made us "relevant" by hiring a loudmouth loser who wrecked the team and then fired him.

If anything, the Bills were more of a laughingstock and joke with that idiot Rex making big promises and getting basically laughed out of Buffalo.

There are many ways to skin a cat and many ways owners can be bad. Just because they waste money doesn't make them good.

Edited by FireChan

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you meant to just talk about buying a house in a competitive market you do this, but you rarely sorely overbid because you're looking to make money off the deal.

But this isn't even close to buying a desirable house. They're not looking to sell it and they're unlikely to ever recoup their investment into it.

Of course that's what this is! These are the most exclusive properties in the world----BECAUSE they have such massive appreciation.

If you think a property is going to increase in value in the long or short term and there is competitive bidding, and you have the means, you say exactly those words: "what will it take to get me this home/NFL team, etc?" This is pretty simple. It defines the Manhattan apartment market for much of the mid 2000's---the entire market, not just highest end. We aren;t talking about buying a house in Buffalo...

And if you are now claiming that there is any chance that the Bills franchise will lose value while the Pegulas own it, well, you are completely out of your mind!

I think we can be both eternally grateful for their efforts in keeping the teams here, and also demand more in terms of on-field/on-ice product.

Just keeping the teams in Buffalo doesn't earn anyone a free pass -- it earns our sincere thanks and gratitude. Now get to work.

That's pretty much where I'm at.

What is your crying going to accomplish?

What is your crying going to accomplish?

Crying? I think it is pathetic that someone would take the stance that we as fans shouldn't complain about our team because we should just be happy they are here??? What a cuckolded line of thinking.

That's pretty much where I'm at.

+2 Thanks for not moving the team now do something with it.

without the Pegula's this team would be gone....likely in Toronto.

Kim is no spring chicken....already 48

what happens in 40-50 years ????

where is the succession plan.....why aren't they talking about this.....(sarcasm)

Go back the actual genesis of that claim....

Having then buy the team and keeping it in Buffalo is like winning the super bowl.

better

at least we still have repeating chances to win the superbowl on an ongoing basis now

theyve made some mistakes but im super glad they are the owners and i think they stand a better than average chance to make the team successful again

i for one believe that the Pegulas have been great for this organization. We are paying free agents, they have revamped the locker rooms, coaches offices, meeting rooms, etc... They also bought up the land around the practice facility to create outdoor fields to practice on. When it comes to spending on the team they aren't being cheap.

What has done this organization in the last 17 years is a lack of a QB end of story. Everyteam not in the playoffs is looking for the same thing.

Of course that's what this is! These are the most exclusive properties in the world----BECAUSE they have such massive appreciation.

If you think a property is going to increase in value in the long or short term and there is competitive bidding, and you have the means, you say exactly those words: "what will it take to get me this home/NFL team, etc?" This is pretty simple. It defines the Manhattan apartment market for much of the mid 2000's---the entire market, not just highest end. We aren;t talking about buying a house in Buffalo...

And if you are now claiming that there is any chance that the Bills franchise will lose value while the Pegulas own it, well, you are completely out of your mind!

No, typically people keep bidding until they win, not hand a blank check. The $1.4B they paid was probably $200M more than Jon Bovi's group was willing to pay. Even with an eye to moving it to Toronto.

And nothing is guaranteed. Again I don't see them selling, but I definitely don't see someone offering more than, or even, $1.4B and keeping the team in Buffalo. And with the recent ratings drop...

We had mostly 50 years of crappy ownership before, I think people are expecting a lot more out of the Pegula's. There's no reason to think they will be better for any reason than just someone different running the show. We're all thankful the team is staying, just like we were thankful to Ralph for keeping the team here 50 years. We want more, we want what many other teams have... a competitive team and at least one championship.

We all want that 90's Bills team back again and it likely won't ever happen anytime soon because finding that sort of talent in all phases of a team takes a great degree of change.

It's not just finding the right GM... it's not just the team's scouts to find player talent at every position... it's not just about finding that elite franchise QB.

Those 1990 Bills first started to be built in Buffalo the day that Ralph Wilson hired Chuck Knox in 1978. When Knox came to Buffalo he also brought with him his director of player personnel from the Rams in Norm Pollom. From there the team scouting department started to change as he hired different scouts. Pollom also recommended hiring a young man to be the Buffalo Bills new pro personnel director in Bill Polian.

The team now had the right man at the top who could identify top player talent and had a vision of the team he wanted to build. In order to compete in the same division with the Miami Dolphins, a team that had owned the Bills the entire decade of the 70's. Polian wanted to build a team that was "tough'' in every facet, top to bottom. I believe it was Polian who hired the teams S&C trainer in Rusty Jones who Marv Levy called his secret weapon.

The Bills had the right medical staff at that time too as QB Jim Kelly had pins put in his shoulder during his senior year at the U because of a severely separated shoulder. Those doctors had speculated that Kelly might never recover his full throwing motion and they were wrong. Thurman Thomas was also a question mark in the draft as he already had so many miles on him at Oklahoma and he blew out his knee. So he wasn't drafted until the second round where the Bills were confident that Thurman would be a great player for them.

I think that when Bills fans read that these new owners are Billionaires that they automatically think that the new owners will hire the very best people to build a super bowl winning team. The best GM, the best doctors, trainers, scouts, coaches and so on down the line. Some of us are still waiting for that to happen and sadly not much has really changed since Ralph Wilson owned the team. 8-8, 7-9 is so Jauronish. It's going to take more than just luck to build a super bowl contender in the AFC East.

You can call the Bills a dumpster fire. You may hate that Terry has zero public speaking skills. But the fact of the matter is that as of today there are now fans in THREE NFL cities who no longer have a team. Regardless of how the Chargers, Rams and Raiders' last cities treated the team or ownership, I think we can all relate as fans to the sinking feeling of hoping the team you root for will stay in town because they are your team.

Obviously this thread will soon be inundated with "that's the kind of thinking that leads to playoff droughts" and calling me a koolaid drinker, but I don't think it's out of line to be grateful to know that my kids will get to be BUFFALO Bills fans. That's all, I don't have a point beyond that.

That's a point worth making!

And one a lot of people seem to lose track of. I think they'll get it right eventually. No one said it would be easy.

We all want that 90's Bills team back again and it likely won't ever happen anytime soon because finding that sort of talent in all phases of a team takes a great degree of change.

It's not just finding the right GM... it's not just the team's scouts to find player talent at every position... it's not just about finding that elite franchise QB.

Those 1990 Bills first started to be built in Buffalo the day that Ralph Wilson hired Chuck Knox in 1978. When Knox came to Buffalo he also brought with him his director of player personnel from the Rams in Norm Pollom. From there the team scouting department started to change as he hired different scouts. Pollom also recommended hiring a young man to be the Buffalo Bills new pro personnel director in Bill Polian.

The team now had the right man at the top who could identify top player talent and had a vision of the team he wanted to build. In order to compete in the same division with the Miami Dolphins, a team that had owned the Bills the entire decade of the 70's. Polian wanted to build a team that was "tough'' in every facet, top to bottom. I believe it was Polian who hired the teams S&C trainer in Rusty Jones who Marv Levy called his secret weapon.

The Bills had the right medical staff at that time too as QB Jim Kelly had pins put in his shoulder during his senior year at the U because of a severely separated shoulder. Those doctors had speculated that Kelly might never recover his full throwing motion and they were wrong. Thurman Thomas was also a question mark in the draft as he already had so many miles on him at Oklahoma and he blew out his knee. So he wasn't drafted until the second round where the Bills were confident that Thurman would be a great player for them.

I think that when Bills fans read that these new owners are Billionaires that they automatically think that the new owners will hire the very best people to build a super bowl winning team. The best GM, the best doctors, trainers, scouts, coaches and so on down the line. Some of us are still waiting for that to happen and sadly not much has really changed since Ralph Wilson owned the team. 8-8, 7-9 is so Jauronish. It's going to take more than just luck to build a super bowl contender in the AFC East.

Luck plays a huge part. It's no coincidence that the teams that have been successful are the ones who have good QB play, and many got their QB's through fortune in one way or another.

They did this, IIRC.

Still learning? They've owned the Sabres for 7 years.

Relevant? We were relevant before at 9-7 with a ferocious defense. The Pegulas came into the picture and made us "relevant" by hiring a loudmouth loser who wrecked the team and then fired him.

If anything, the Bills were more of a laughingstock and joke with that idiot Rex making big promises and getting basically laughed out of Buffalo.

There are many ways to skin a cat and many ways owners can be bad. Just because they waste money doesn't make them good.

So true!

The simple fact that Doug Whaley is still with the team leads me to think that Russ Brandon still has control over his puppet. Now this Bills team is on a similar 7-year journey like the Buffalo Sabres in that after tanking for years and years while hiring a better head coach they are still dead last in the Eastern Conference.

Kind of depressing to think that in 2021 the Bills still might be a bottom of the division team.

Luck plays a huge part. It's no coincidence that the teams that have been successful are the ones who have good QB play, and many got their QB's through fortune in one way or another.

Andrew Luck is one of many young QB's that have the ability to win a Super Bowl and yet lack the talent all around them, GM, coaches, players, scheme. So the Colts were bad enough for one season to snag the best young QB of the decade but then fell on their faces with the wrong guy as GM.

What stinks for Colts fans is now that window of opportunity of when the QB wasn't one of the highest paid players in the league is now closed so the team can't afford to build around like they could have in his first few years in the league.

From the looks of things, the current Buffalo Bills are also at that point and they don't even have their known franchise QB. Will Whaley dump Tyrod so he has more money to find above average players at other positions in free agency so mediocre can be medicore again?