The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, TPS said:

It’s more for show than any real impact.  The market may react positively but it will be the rate of growth in cases and deaths over the week that be the main mover. 

The main mover will be all the draconian restrictions on business and daily life for the healthy and ( relatively ) young that cause the economy to tank . As has been brought up , the question perhaps should be why we aren’t just restricting the movement and activities of the aged and vulnerable. It doesn’t add up, and the economy is being destroyed for everyone else going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, TPS said:

Btw, I won't be surprised if the markets are shut down at some point. 

Looks like the next month will be about simply getting through this....

this was my thought as well. they should shut them down, only bad can come of leaving them open right now. which, i guess, the questions would then become, when do you reopen and what is the criteria?

9 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

The main mover will be all the draconian restrictions on business and daily life for the healthy and ( relatively ) young that cause the economy to tank . As has been brought up , the question perhaps should be why we aren’t just restricting the movement and activities of the aged and vulnerable. It doesn’t add up, and the economy is being destroyed for everyone else going forward. 

This is why...

https://mobile.twitter.com/donmoyn/status/1239239417715396609

13 minutes ago, Foxx said:

this was my thought as well. they should shut them down, only bad can come of leaving them open right now. which, i guess, the questions would then become, when do you reopen and what is the criteria?

I don't think it should have anything to do with any economic criteria; it should be based on when we see the cases under control.

1 hour ago, TPS said:

Can't find it, but my twitter feed had some comments that "market signals were flashing red" before the rate cut was announced. 

A. Fed doesn't act upon tweets

B. This type of action was weeks in the planning and final approval isn't instantaneous based on pre-market chatter.

The markets are down and will continue to go down because you don't shut down 25% of the global economy and think there won't be a serious economic impact.

MARKETS UPDATES
Access to these updates is free

Dow projected to shed more than 1,000 points at open

The steep futures declines suggest investors are scared the central bank might now be out of tools to guard against a recession.

18 minutes ago, GG said:

A. Fed doesn't act upon tweets

B. This type of action was weeks in the planning and final approval isn't instantaneous based on pre-market chatter.

The markets are down and will continue to go down because you don't shut down 25% of the global economy and think there won't be a serious economic impact.

Yes, I commented last night based on that, but you are correct. 

Ad for shutting down the economy, you can’t separate the two—it is being shut down because the number of cases is beyond control now. Time to shut it all down and stop the acceleration. 

15 minutes ago, TPS said:

Yes, I commented last night based on that, but you are correct. 

Ad for shutting down the economy, you can’t separate the two—it is being shut down because the number of cases is beyond control now. Time to shut it all down and stop the acceleration. 

Will the cure be worse than the disease?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

And you are taking no delight in this?  You are not fantasizing about this damaging Trump?

He's toast anyway. This will pass. Feel bad about people losing their jobs, though. That's tough. 

Well, except for Trump losing his 

40 minutes ago, GG said:

Will the cure be worse than the disease?

Would you want to find out?

Take a look at that graph on the two cities in Italy, one that shut down early and one that did not.