The Trump Economy

GG

It's a good opportunity to have. I've been working with barely a break for about 15 years. I need a sabbatical bad.

And my company - who had the great good sense to lay me off - had to replace me with three people. Money-saving gesture...somehow...

Just how many sites do you post on?

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then it would already have been priced in right after the election. The only logical thing that would tie the trade to the inauguration would be some event that would stop him from becoming President.

the bet is most likely on your main point: will optimism alone spur real economic growth? The markets' initial reaction underscores a belief, but unless real decisions are made that impact growth and employment, those beliefs will take a beating. I've heard several money managers now say they expect at least a 5% correction in the first quarter because of this.

I find Trumponomics very interesting. It's not just an optimism change, his tweeting is causing MNCs to make real decisions. Maybe we should call it Tweetonomics?

The most interesting character is Bannon. He knows that trump will fail if he doesn't support the working poor who supported him. While the republicans will and have tried already toattack SS and Medicare, what will Trump do? I think one inkling is how he responded to the republicans attempt to castrate the ethics board--just one tweet was all it took. I have no problem with rolling back Dodd-frank as long as he also moves back to glass-steagall, as he's supported. since banks are under Basel, their ability to inflate credit is constrained. I am worried about the clawback on derivatives though.

So, I agree with you GG, that optimism can have an impact, but it still comes down to demand for your product. If Tweetonomics can push more companies to move jobs to the US and others to stay, that is where the beef is.

Edited by TPS

The Hill has a list of much of what Trump is planning on taking an ax to.

The cuts to the departments of Transportation, State and Justice were already expected. Several of their functions can easily be streamlined or combined into other departments. The Department of Energy under Rick Perry can have several of its more expensive functions reduced or transferred as well. (One possibility which has been under discussion this week is moving the control and maintenance of the nuclear arsenal into Defense where it would seem to make a lot more sense anyway.)

But it’s some of the other cuts which are probably going to draw gasps of horror from Trump’s more liberal detractors. Currently on the list is the complete elimination of the National Endowment for the Arts and National Endowment for the Humanities. Additionally, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting would be privatized. If you thought there were going to be liberal marches in the streets tomorrow, just wait until those three go into effect.

The total savings to the federal government’s bottom line from all of these moves? How about $10.5 trillion over 10 years.

As with everything else in the world of Washington, I’ll hold off on popping the champagne cork until I actually see it done, but this is the level of cutting which might eventually return us to a point beyond a balanced budget.

And if it does somehow come true, I’ll have to ask the same question I’ve been posing time and time again over the past couple of months, particularly with companies bringing jobs and investments back to American soil.

Was it really this easy all this time but nobody bothered to try?

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/01/19/oh-baby-dramatic-cuts-are-coming-to-federal-government/

Standby for the liberal wailing and gnashing of teeth......and the end of the world as we know it.

Big bird will be dragged out again.......(even though they are a billion dollar private industry)

and (of course) cutting redundant programs will be PROOF that Republicans hate children, women, al races, and all genders.

:lol:

As with everything else in the world of Washington, I’ll hold off on popping the champagne cork until I actually see it done, but this is the level of cutting which might eventually return us to a point beyond a balanced budget.

And if it does somehow come true, I’ll have to ask the same question I’ve been posing time and time again over the past couple of months, particularly with companies bringing jobs and investments back to American soil.

Was it really this easy all this time but nobody bothered to try?

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/01/19/oh-baby-dramatic-cuts-are-coming-to-federal-government/

A balanced budget? With tax cuts and massive infrastructure spending? Doubt it

the bet is most likely on your main point: will optimism alone spur real economic growth? The markets' initial reaction underscores a belief, but unless real decisions are made that impact growth and employment, those beliefs will take a beating. I've heard several money managers now say they expect at least a 5% correction in the first quarter because of this.

I find Trumponomics very interesting. It's not just an optimism change, his tweeting is causing MNCs to make real decisions. Maybe we should call it Tweetonomics?

The most interesting character is Bannon. He knows that trump will fail if he doesn't support the working poor who supported him. While the republicans will and have tried already toattack SS and Medicare, what will Trump do? I think one inkling is how he responded to the republicans attempt to castrate the ethics board--just one tweet was all it took. I have no problem with rolling back Dodd-frank as long as he also moves back to glass-steagall, as he's supported. since banks are under Basel, their ability to inflate credit is constrained. I am worried about the clawback on derivatives though.

So, I agree with you GG, that optimism can have an impact, but it still comes down to demand for your product. If Tweetonomics can push more companies to move jobs to the US and others to stay, that is where the beef is.

That will be the big question. The informal feedback I've been getting from the C-suites is generally positive, and that usually translates well to the rank and file. I've insisted that a big part of Obama's problem is that he didn't realize how much negativity infected his term. Employees pick up their cues when they see their bosses bitching and worrying about the bad business environment, and any confidence goes into the crapper.

The attitude about Trump is that most think he's a clown, but a smart clown who should know when to step out of the way when it comes to driving economic growth.

That will be the big question. The informal feedback I've been getting from the C-suites is generally positive, and that usually translates well to the rank and file. I've insisted that a big part of Obama's problem is that he didn't realize how much negativity infected his term. Employees pick up their cues when they see their bosses bitching and worrying about the bad business environment, and any confidence goes into the crapper.

The attitude about Trump is that most think he's a clown, but a smart clown who should know when to step out of the way when it comes to driving economic growth.

So the guys with money are the ones we should follow? Where has that argument been put forward? :doh:

President Donald Trump’s quick suspension of new federal regulations has triggered some unintended consequences: sudden pain and deeper uncertainty for a broad array of U.S. businesses.

Oil and gas companies, ethanol producers, real estate agents and small farmers are among those that could be hurt by the regulatory freeze. Some are lobbying to preserve regulations that Trump put on hold.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-regulation-freeze-businesses-234250

Does this clown think through anything? Everything he does is to get the evil media report a headline he likes and sounds nice to the deplorables

Saw the original Strassel article in Friday's WSJ.

If the author of the law is in fact correct on what it states and how it operates there could be a lot of regulations to potentially rollback. And implementing that would go miles towards restoring checks & balances. One definite potential plus in the Trump v Clinton Donald column.

Obama leaves Trump a growing economy

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/01/private-payrolls-grew-246k-in-january-vs-165k-est-adp.html

Private companies kicked off the new year with a hiring spree, according to the latest report from ADP and Moody's Analytics.

Amid an explosive month surrounding President Donald Trump's inauguration and the flurry of activity that followed, firms added 246,000 new workers to their payrolls, the report showed.

That compared to expectations of 165,000 from economists surveyed by Reuters and marked a substantial jump from the downwardly revised 151,000 — initially reported as 153,000 — in December. January also turned in the best single-month performance since June.