The Trump Economy

GG

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump sure is a dummy. I see the stock sell off spread all around the globe, too. 

The stock "selloff" wasn't due to any worries of the economy as a matter of fact it was to the contrary.  Rising rates are being contributed to a healthy economy with no inflation in site according to wallstreet metrics..

Even the NY times acknowledges as such.

Interest rates are rising for all the right reasons

--------------In effect, the multi-trillion dollar global bond market is signaling a little greater confidence than it did just a few weeks ago that the nine-year expansion in the United States may have room to keep going for years to come, and without inflation taking off.

The yield on 10-year United States Treasury bonds reached a seven-year high this week of 3.25 percent (it receded some Wednesday as stocks dropped), up from 2.82 percent in August. The 10-year rate was below 1.4 percent as recently as July 2016.

But beyond those headline numbers, the details of how the prices of different types of securities have moved relative to one another tell a story that is decidedly optimistic.----------

This is what many investors and economists refer to as the "Goldilocks economy" 

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Trump sure is a dummy. I see the stock sell off spread all around the globe, too. 

Now I'm convinced you don't know how this works.

Equity markets react to a number of things, not the least is rising interest rates.

Interest rates rise due to capital demand in healthy and expanding economies.

All is well.

22 minutes ago, sherpa said:

For the love of Pete...everyone, please understand, he literally has no idea how anything works. He doesn't even care.

He is simply posting what he's paid to post in online forums.

That's it. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Magox said:

The stock "selloff" wasn't due to any worries of the economy as a matter of fact it was to the contrary.  Rising rates are being contributed to a healthy economy with no inflation in site according to wallstreet metrics..

Even the NY times acknowledges as such.

Interest rates are rising for all the right reasons

--------------In effect, the multi-trillion dollar global bond market is signaling a little greater confidence than it did just a few weeks ago that the nine-year expansion in the United States may have room to keep going for years to come, and without inflation taking off.

The yield on 10-year United States Treasury bonds reached a seven-year high this week of 3.25 percent (it receded some Wednesday as stocks dropped), up from 2.82 percent in August. The 10-year rate was below 1.4 percent as recently as July 2016.

But beyond those headline numbers, the details of how the prices of different types of securities have moved relative to one another tell a story that is decidedly optimistic.----------

This is what many investors and economists refer to as the "Goldilocks economy" 

I never said anything about the overall economy, I just posted something about one part of it and people went into hysterics. Trump did brag about the stock market before, but yesterday shows that is a double edged sword. 

I agree pretty much with this assessment, but you can't tell me worries over a trade war are not worrying some. Also from the Times: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/11/business/stock-market-global.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

But concerns have started to weigh. With signs of rising inflation, the Federal Reserve is expected to ratchet up interest rates further, which could raise the cost of borrowing in the United States and around the world.

The market damage was particularly acute in China, where signs of economic softness and worries about the impact of President Trump’s trade war have pushed down stocks for months. Over the weekend, the People’s Bank of China unleashed $175 billion into the economy to help shore it up. Worried about the impact of negative information on its citizens, China has censored negative economic news.

The tensions with Washington appear to be only getting worse. On Wednesday, United States officials said they had charged a Chinese intelligence official with espionage after he was extradited from Belgium. Washington officials also said on Wednesday they would more aggressively scrutinize corporate deals by foreign investors in the United States, in a move aimed primarily at China.

47 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Equity markets react to a number of things, not the least is rising interest rates.

Interest rates rise due to capital demand in healthy and expanding economies.

All is well.

All has been well for awhile. Your little ignorant remark there reminds me of the saying that you will know the market has peaked when Doo Doo birds start squawking about how all is well. 

28 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Frankly, it's surprising he even knows how that wroks.

Oh, you are just jealous of me. Wrok! Wrok Wrok!!! 

Latest forecast: 4.2 percent — October 10, 2018

The GDPNow model estimate for real GDP growth (seasonally adjusted annual rate) in the third quarter of 2018 is 4.2 percent on October 10, up from 4.1 percent on October 5. After this morning’s wholesale trade report from the U.S. Census Bureau and this morning's Producer Price Index release from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the nowcast of the contribution of inventory investment to third-quarter real GDP growth increased from 2.09 percentage points to 2.20 percentage points.

Peak 

President Donald Trump kept up his steady drumbeat of criticism over the Federal Reserve, pinning the steep stock-market sell-off on their interest-rate policy.

Asked about the stock market rout in an interview on “Fox and Friends” on Thursday morning, Trump replied: “The Fed is getting a little too cute. That’s all. It’s ridiculous what they’re doing.”

On Wednesday, after the stock market closed, Trump told reporters that “the Fed is making a mistake.”

Why does he sound so worried? lol 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/trump-calls-fed-too-cute-in-third-straight-day-of-criticism-2018-10-11

The economy is too damn strong right now. At both games last weekend, concession lines were nuts and I was told by a few of the folks that Delaware North just cannot hire enough people to man the stands right now. Now Trump is screwing up my games and beer consumption!!!

25 this clown

• Haha (+1) 3

Apparently, the sky is not falling... yet. Why is there always a qualifier? Enjoy it while you can!

Metal Tariffs Haven’t Cost Jobs (Yet)

Funny thing, though. Employment in metal-using industries has risen since the tariffs went into effect last spring. Employment in fabricated metals products rose 1.44 percent from April through September, according to the jobs report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics released on Oct. 5. That compares favorably with the increase for overall manufacturing (0.70 percent) and the overall private sector (0.76 percent). In the machinery sector, another big consumer of metal, jobs increased by 1.29 percent over the period.

On 10/11/2018 at 10:31 AM, Tiberius said:

All has been well for awhile. Your little ignorant remark there reminds me of the saying that you will know the market has peaked when Doo Doo birds start squawking about how all is well. 

Oh, you are just jealous of me. Wrok! Wrok Wrok!!! 

No.

The smart people use those times to write calls against issues they have made money on.

But you knew that.

And I guarantee you I am not jealous of you.

19 minutes ago, sherpa said:

No.

The smart people use those times to write calls against issues they have made money on.

But you knew that.

And I guarantee you I am not jealous of you.

Oh? Would a smart person just hold and buy more? That's what I do, I'm a pretty sharp fellow :) 

And the jealous thing was not directed at you. 

6 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Oh? Would a smart person just hold and buy more? That's what I do, I'm a pretty sharp fellow :) 

You'd be "sharper" if you wrote calls against them during periods of market over valuation.

Chances are, you can cover at a much lower price, and hold them all the while.

But you knew that.

Just now, sherpa said:

You'd be "sharper" if you wrote calls against them during periods of market over valuation.

Chances are, you can cover at a much lower price, and hold them all the while.

But you knew that.

No need to mess with success. I'm doing great. 

2 minutes ago, westside said:

I'm curious, how did you find this job of posting for money? I'm really curious how this works. 

If you only want your side go read Brietbart or Hot Air or any of those right wing trash rags 

4 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

You're a kinder, more patient man than I. :beer:

That poster does not try spreading lies constantly like you. I bet you do get impatient defending your garbage. No wonder you gave up on the "New Normal" crap when it became inconsistent with your obvious Republican Establishment promotion. 

21 minutes ago, westside said:

I'm curious, how did you find this job of posting for money? I'm really curious how this works. 

Read comment sections for most online news stories. There is always somone posting something like "My brother just paid off his Land Rover in 10 weeks working from home!  Ask me how!"

It starts there.

• Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

If you only want your side go read Brietbart or Hot Air or any of those right wing trash rags 

That poster does not try spreading lies constantly like you. I bet you do get impatient defending your garbage. No wonder you gave up on the "New Normal" crap when it became inconsistent with your obvious Republican Establishment promotion. 

I want the truth. Not some bot getting paid to deny, deflect and lie. Why are you still here if you're not getting paid? Why put up with all the abuse if you didn't have an agenda?