The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Define "The Market"?

It's just a convenient and ignorant way for the left to say "the stock market crashed" and it's all Trump's fault! Ignoring the fact it is the biggest crash and turn around within a 6 month period in the history of the stock market. Not sure about y'all but my 401K is back where it was before Covid19 now and that's after an almost 20% drop

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Cinga said:

It's just a convenient and ignorant way for the left to say "the stock market crashed" and it's all Trump's fault! Ignoring the fact it is the biggest crash and turn around within a 6 month period in the history of the stock market. Not sure about y'all but my 401K is back where it was before Covid19 now and that's after an almost 20% drop

If you were dollar cost averaging in this whole time (which most people were in their 401k's) you're likely higher than you were pre-Covid.  

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

If you were dollar cost averaging in this whole time (which most people were in their 401k's) you're likely higher than you were pre-Covid.  

I stand corrected. I don't check it often but I just did when I saw this and while it's not a lot you're right, it is higher than pre-covid now. ?

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Define "The Market"?

Wilshire 5000. 

19 hours ago, Cinga said:

I’m killing it (not as much today as I was two days ago) because it’s a picker’s market and I’m overweight in individual techs (AMZN and GOOG, in front of a Fidelity tech index). The same tech companies that Trump is laying off of now because they’re about the only thing driving the market.  Aside from AMZN, AAPL, GOOG, FB, MSFT, NFLX, and TSLA, what’s performing well right now?  Not much. 

4 hours ago, SectionC3 said:

I’m killing it (not as much today as I was two days ago) because it’s a picker’s market and I’m overweight in individual techs (AMZN and GOOG, in front of a Fidelity tech index). The same tech companies that Trump is laying off of now because they’re about the only thing driving the market.  Aside from AMZN, AAPL, GOOG, FB, MSFT, NFLX, and TSLA, what’s performing well right now?  Not much. 

I wish I was more knowledgeable about the market and investments. I have no idea why; however, financial matters make my eyes glaze over. I pulled all my money (My Thrift Account) out of the market when it first started to drop in Mid Feb. I have never touched it as I have always looked at the market as a long term thing. However, given the virus, the uncertainty about the election, etc., I thought I would just put it somewhere safe until I feel some stability.

Probably the wrong move.... :rolleyes:

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

I wish I was more knowledgeable about the market and investments. I have no idea why; however, financial matters make my eyes glaze over. I pulled all my money (My Thrift Account) out of the market when it first started to drop in Mid Feb. I have never touched it as I have always looked at the market as a long term thing. However, given the virus, the uncertainty about the election, etc., I thought I would just put it somewhere safe until I feel some stability.

Probably the wrong move.... :rolleyes:

Maybe, maybe not.  You might have timed the departure well.  Who knows about jumping back in.  It depends on where you are in life, what your goals are, what your needs are, etc.  

The wealth transfer prompted by the pandemic is ridiculous, though.  I’ve made absurd money in the last four months (and given some back in the last couple of days, to be sure) while other people are scrounging for bucks to pay for groceries.  And others who plodded along in an S&P index or large cap index are probably up a bit, but probably not up enough to justify the risk they’ve taken over the past couple of months.  

In any event, it’s not right.  No matter what happens in November this disconnect between the true economy, the market, the haves, and the have-nots is something we have to address.   Everyone who reads this (unless you’re Terry Pegula or part of the Bills brass) is on the wrong end of what’s going on here.  We’re all working for peanuts, just in varying degrees, and the last four months have just made it worse. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/14/2020 at 3:11 PM, SectionC3 said:

Maybe, maybe not.  You might have timed the departure well.  Who knows about jumping back in.  It depends on where you are in life, what your goals are, what your needs are, etc.  

The wealth transfer prompted by the pandemic is ridiculous, though.  I’ve made absurd money in the last four months (and given some back in the last couple of days, to be sure) while other people are scrounging for bucks to pay for groceries.  And others who plodded along in an S&P index or large cap index are probably up a bit, but probably not up enough to justify the risk they’ve taken over the past couple of months.  

In any event, it’s not right.  No matter what happens in November this disconnect between the true economy, the market, the haves, and the have-nots is something we have to address.   Everyone who reads this (unless you’re Terry Pegula or part of the Bills brass) is on the wrong end of what’s going on here.  We’re all working for peanuts, just in varying degrees, and the last four months have just made it worse. 

This has been going on a lot longer than the last 4 years.

On 7/13/2020 at 2:57 PM, SectionC3 said:

But for the Big Five tech stocks the market it stagnant since 2017.  Lots of dead money!  So much winning!

that's not even close to true. while we own all the ones you stated outside TSLS and FB..our portfolio of about 25 stocks has been doing just fine since 17, and through this pandemic.

Just to name a few winners driving our portfolio since then 

ADP, Adobe, Crown Castle, Okta, Coupa , Costco, Target...all massive winners the last 4 years 

Having said that, no doubt the lockdowns have widened the wealth gap...unintended consequences by those who only response to an issue is "Trump wants open? Thats all i needed to know we need to stay locked down"

40 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

How has the index performed over the past 3.5 years minus FAANG?  

Not terribly well, minus AMZN, AAPL, GOOG, and FB. 

https://wolfstreet.com/2020/07/11/wild-ride-to-nowhere-appl-msft-amzn-goog-and-fb-soar-to-new-high-rest-of-the-stock-market-is-a-dud-has-been-for-years/

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

that's not even close to true. while we own all the ones you stated outside TSLS and FB..our portfolio of about 25 stocks has been doing just fine since 17, and through this pandemic.

Just to name a few winners driving our portfolio since then 

ADP, Adobe, Crown Castle, Okta, Coupa , Costco, Target...all massive winners the last 4 years 

Having said that, no doubt the lockdowns have widened the wealth gap...unintended consequences by those who only response to an issue is "Trump wants open? Thats all i needed to know we need to stay locked down"

Sure there’s hyperbole there.  There’s more winners then the basket that I mentioned. But what’s driving growth right now? Big  tech. Big time. Bottom line.

On 7/14/2020 at 10:29 AM, SectionC3 said:

Wilshire 5000. 

ha. Nice try!

good work googling US Market Index and Best Performing Stocks though. Do you know what a stock is, btw?  

16 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Not terribly well, minus AMZN, AAPL, GOOG, and FB. 

https://wolfstreet.com/2020/07/11/wild-ride-to-nowhere-appl-msft-amzn-goog-and-fb-soar-to-new-high-rest-of-the-stock-market-is-a-dud-has-been-for-years/

Sure there’s hyperbole there.  There’s more winners then the basket that I mentioned. But what’s driving growth right now? Big  tech. Big time. Bottom line.

Big tech is driving it cause that where the growth is now. Certainly not rocket science, and not something  that is only pandemic driven. 

give ya hint, ala the Graduate. Solar , EV, Autonomous Driving. 5 years from now are the big tech of today. 

3 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Big tech is driving it cause that where the growth is now. Certainly not rocket science, and not something  that is only pandemic driven. 

give ya hint, ala the Graduate. Solar , EV, Autonomous Driving. 5 years from now are the big tech of today. 

Sure.   Of course tech isn’t purely pandemic-driven.  But that is a part of it.  Look at Amazon’s meteoric growth.  NFLX, same deal.  Google probably as well, although I don’t pay as much attention to it. 

And the rest of the market is in bad shape.  Take out big tech and it’s flat over an extended period. That’s beyond debate.