The Trump Economy

GG

The jobless rate today is almost certainly higher than at any point since the Great Depression. We think it’s around 13 percent and rising at a speed unmatched in American history.

The labor market is changing so fast that our official statistics — intended to measure changes over months and years rather than days or weeks — can’t really keep up. But a few simple calculations can help piece together a reasonable approximation.

Be warned, these numbers yield an imprecise estimate of today’s unemployment rate, and the truth could easily be quite a lot higher or lower. This is not an estimate of the official unemployment rate for March, which reports the state of the economy a few weeks ago when the labor market was in better shape, nor is it a forecast for the official rate in April.

The Labor Department reported on Thursday that around nine million people had filed for unemployment insurance over the past two weeks. (That number is not seasonally adjusted.) By contrast, in a healthy economy, fewer than half a million people would have done so. This suggests there are around 8.5 million more people on unemployment benefits today than there were two weeks ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/03/upshot/coronavirus-jobless-rate-great-depression.html

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anybody tried to apply for NYS unemployment as a self employed person who has been shut down by this?  I'm hearing from my friend, who is in the same boat, that you have to fill it out online, but then you have to call in and he's tried for hours each day and not been able to get through.

Is that true?  Why wouldn't you be able to complete it online?!? 

11 hours ago, bbb said:

Has anybody tried to apply for NYS unemployment as a self employed person who has been shut down by this?  I'm hearing from my friend, who is in the same boat, that you have to fill it out online, but then you have to call in and he's tried for hours each day and not been able to get through.

Is that true?  Why wouldn't you be able to complete it online?!? 

links:

Unemployment Insurance

Guidance for Self-Employed Individuals

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

Awesome - they finally put something up about the phone call vs. online thing!  Thanks:

Due to enormous volume, there will be considerable wait time. Please be patient; everyone who is entitled will get their benefits.
THE BEST WAY TO FILE YOUR UI CLAIM IS ONLINE HERE
Please do not call the telephone claims center unless you are instructed to call to complete your application. If you are instructed to call to complete your claim, the only valid number is 1-888-209-8124.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

As the number of COVID-19 deaths in Johnson County increased to a total of nine Monday, truckers are sounding the alarm that the the nation’s supply chain could be in jeopardy if the government doesn’t help protect them.

Truckers say that every day, they are hauling needed goods into COVID-19 hot spots with no protective equipment, testing capabilities or ways to self-quarantine or seek treatment if they become sick.

The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association sent a letter Friday to President Donald Trump on Friday saying: “HELP — MAYDAY — 9-1-1.”

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article241802196.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Trump sent troops to defend the oil kingdom, and then the oil kingdom driving our oil industry out of business. Just one more terrible thing about this clown 

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/10/16/trump-deployment-troops-saudi-arabia-abandoning-syria-iran-attacks/

Bring the troops home, this is stupid 

Those damn Saudis aren't helping us a bit, while the Russians must be colluding with Trump by doing the same thing. Out of curiosity, do you ever put any thought into what you post? For your sake, I hope not. Being lazy is not a good thing but is supposedly correctable. Coming up with theshit that you do though, is plain amoeba level ignorant. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, bbb said:

I'm almost done with my 2019 taxes.  I made more in 19 than I did in 18.  I also made more in 17 than 18.

Am I better off getting these taxes done, and claiming a higher number or does your income amount not matter?  

to be honest, i don't know. i haven't filed as yet but i would think most definitely, income does matter. i will file as it back dates and i will get all monies coming to me (at least that is what the guide states) but right now , i don't know any specifics. just using rational thought (not that that matters in this case), it has to be based upon the previous 52 weeks worked. how that is substantiated, i don't rightly know. after all, you are not filing tax work for the first 8/10/12 weeks of this year till next year.

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1