The Trump Economy

GG

6 minutes ago, meazza said:

You're getting scarily into Trump Fan Zone. Remember that at every pointi in his career, Trump has eventually ***** up everything he built.

I didn't advocate for his trolling -- I was just relaying it. I'm not worried about the economy. I've been preparing for a downturn for a long time now. It's unavoidable if he's going to truly break the establishment.

(and I'm rooting fully for that -- not Trump. The two agendas have crossover of course) 

Edited by Deranged Rhino
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The thing with Trump is he has poor impulse control but later comes to his senses.  So, when I see him tweet something as authoritarian as that I treat it as the same way as a three year old telling me he hates me because I won't buy him a sucker.

Seriously...it amazes me that people still take him seriously.  

I'll tell ya what...I'll go back on my "never voting Democrat again" promise, and vote for whoever the Democratic Presidential candidate is in 2020 if and only if they have the great good sense to tell Trump "Yeah, whatever Donald" when he starts his ***** during the debates.  It's not going to happen - Yang and Tulsi might, but not a single likely candidate in the Democratic lineup can handle him.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Seriously...it amazes me that people still take him seriously.  

I'll tell ya what...I'll go back on my "never voting Democrat again" promise, and vote for whoever the Democratic Presidential candidate is in 2020 if and only if they have the great good sense to tell Trump "Yeah, whatever Donald" when he starts his ***** during the debates.  It's not going to happen - Yang and Tulsi might, but not a single likely candidate in the Democratic lineup can handle him.

Trump won't do the debates, so you get a loop hole for supporting him again ?

12 hours ago, TPS said:

Have you been paying attention to business data and global growth, or just consumption and retail sales?

There is a reason the R word has crept into the business press.  Any objective person would look at all of the signals, and this sector has pointed down since the start of the year.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/manufacturing-production

This may sound odd... my brother works in a steel mill. For the last 10-12 years, I could tell you  what the economy is going to be doing in two quarters based on what they are rolling 180 days out.

They are running three lines and all the OT anyone wants right now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

8 hours ago, meazza said:

You're getting scarily into Trump Fan Zone. Remember that at every pointi in his career, Trump has eventually ***** up everything he built.

My guess is that he's probably doing much better than all of his critics combined. He's the President, he's a billionaire and Melania is his wife. Not too shabby.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

This may sound odd... my brother works in a steel mill. For the last 10-12 years, I could tell you  what the economy is going to be doing in two quarters based on what they are rolling 180 days out.

They are running three lines and all the OT anyone wants right now.

Thumbs up.

• Like (+1) 1

The International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), Title II of Pub.L. 95–223, 91 Stat. 1626, enacted October 28, 1977, is a United States federal law authorizing the president to regulate international commerce after declaring a national emergency in response to any unusual and extraordinary threat to the United States which has its source in whole or substantial part outside the United States.[1]

The H.R. 7738 legislation was passed by the United States 95th congressional session and signed by President Jimmy Carter on December 28, 1977.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Emergency_Economic_Powers_Act

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/50/1708

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Don't get your panties in a wad. The USA is in the catbird's seat and just needs to show patience. There is a reason we have a good economy while the rest of the world is struggling. We put tariffs on China and they put tariffs on our farm products and devalue their currency. We compensate our farmers and they sell their product to Canada or elsewhere and they sell it to China. A little inefficient but we can outlast China if we just stick to our guns. China's only hope is if they can outlast Trump and a democrat jellyfish gets elected.

What is the end game of this whole thing? 

15 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I didn't advocate for his trolling -- I was just relaying it. I'm not worried about the economy. I've been preparing for a downturn for a long time now. It's unavoidable if he's going to truly break the establishment.

(and I'm rooting fully for that -- not Trump. The two agendas have crossover of course) 

Sooo, let me get this straight

on Thursday, this was you stance

That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is you're witnessing (yet another) influence campaign designed to sow fear, division, and to "get Trump".

so, the economy was great, the media was just yapping about a "downturn" to get Trump. And i was told by you and and @Buffalo_Gal that consumer confidence was key to good economy.

Today, suddenly, in the midst of the "greatest economy ever"  you have been preparing for a downturn for a long  time now and state it is unavoidable as Trump shatters consumer confidence across the globe. And, yet,according to you, the media is running an influence campaign in reporting the very same facts that you claim to have been preparing for a long time. Good to have it both way I spose!

You realize you are Trumps wet dream and are a witness to the 5th avenue shooting no?

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sooo, let me get this straight

on Thursday, this was you stance

so, the economy was great, the media was just yapping about a "downturn" to get Trump. And i was told by you and and @Buffalo_Gal that consumer confidence was key to good economy.

Today, suddenly, in the midst of the "greatest economy ever"  you have been preparing for a downturn for a long  time now and state it is unavoidable as Trump shatters consumer confidence across the globe. And, yet,according to you, the media is running an influence campaign in reporting the very same facts that you claim to have been preparing for a long time. Good to have it both way I spose!

You realize you are Trumps wet dream and are a witness to the 5th avenue shooting no?

I think you need to read a little closer. What goes up, must come down, has been said (or inferred) a lot in  this thread. The question is when, and by what method. 

If I, or anyone, could predict what the economy is going to do, I'd know when exactly to invest in property, gold, new business (and what business!), etc.  That would be some skill to have!

You seem to think because people disagree with you, and find the MSM disingenuous, that somehow means "Trump is right in all things!" People have explained to you that is not correct, but for some reason you are stuck on that thought.

I do think he is correct on China. Something should have been done long ago. If there is short-term pain for long-term gain,  so be it. As I said in this thread before: how many TVs does anyone really need? And Nikes are no cheaper made in China than a sneaker made in the United States (some New Balance still are). And do we really want China to continue to spy on us? And steal US intellectual property? And dump fentanyl on our streets?  If you believe those are good things, again, we will disagree. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal
  • Thank you (+1) 2

^ What gives you the slightest inkling that DT is capable of pulling anything together? He has shown literally no results in anything...anything......and no....not counting the GOP unfounded tax cuts as a result.....

15 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

I think you need to read a little closer. What goes up, must come down, has been said (or inferred) a lot in  this thread. The question is when, and by what method. 

If I, or anyone, could predict what the economy is going to do, I'd know when exactly to invest in property, gold, new business (and what business!), etc.  That would be some skill to have!

You seem to think because people disagree with you, and find the MSM disingenuous, that somehow means "Trump is right in all things!" People have explained to you that is not correct, but for some reason you are stuck on that thought.

I do think he is correct on China. Something should have been done long ago. If there is short-term pain for long-term gain,  so be it. As I said in this thread before: how many TVs does anyone really need? And Nikes are no cheaper made in China than a sneaker made in the United States (some New Balance still are). And do we really want China to continue to spy on us? And steal US intellectual proWhat perty? And dump fentanyl on our streets?  If you believe those are good things, again, we will disagree. 

no, what has been said in this thread lately is two fold

1) the media is somehow concotting or distorting economic numbers in an effort to "get Trump"

2)  that effort being taken to erode consumer confidence..when there is one and only one person who is doing that right now..and its trump.

And unlike the majority of Trump supporters, we said the economy based on the numbers was rolling last year, even though we loathed Trump.. but the question was could the short term effects of the tax cut hold out long term. Just like the majority of us are saying now we are not in a recession, but if Trump keeps on this silly trade path he may just take us there. 

And not to pick bones..but damn a couple pages back you stated consumer confidence and spending is a key to our economy, and here you seem to say " eh..who needs more stuff, we all got enough"..and lets leave the 1.4 billion consumers in China out of the plans for growth.

And you want to stop doing business with countries who spy on us or we spy against? Take Israel and the UK out your trading network.

Or places where illegal drugs come from?  Take Canada and Mexico out of the trading network.   

Thats 3 out of the top 4 and 4 out of top 6 trading partners...

Again, you want it both ways

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

1) the media is somehow concotting or distorting economic numbers in an effort to "get Trump"

2)  that effort being taken to erode consumer confidence..when there is one and only one person who is doing that right now..and its trump.

And unlike the majority of Trump supporters, we said the economy based on the numbers was rolling last year, even though we loathed Trump.. but the question was could the short term effects of the tax cut hold out long term. Just like the majority of us are saying now we are not in a recession, but if Trump keeps on this silly trade path he may just take us there. 

And not to pick bones..but damn a couple pages back you stated consumer confidence and spending is a key to our economy, and here you seem to say " eh..who needs more stuff, we all got enough"..and lets leave the 1.4 billion consumers in China out of the plans for growth.

And you want to stop doing business with countries who spy on us or we spy against? Take Israel and the UK out your trading network.

Or places where illegal drugs come from?  Take Canada and Mexico out of the trading network.   

Not mutually exclusive.  (italicized)  editing to add: If US consumers are going to buy a lot of useless crap, I'd prefer they bought useless crap made in the USA. (which I have also stated before)

You are correct about other countries spying on us. Just as we spy on other countries.  However, read up on Huawei.

So, you feel that our trading partners should not try and reduce illegal drugs that come into the United States? I'm not sure you really mean that.

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Both things can be true. The media is reporting actual numbers and there is absolutely a cause for concern. The media is also gleefully screaming that the sky is falling in hopes of turning that legitimate concern into full blown panic. You just can't see the latter because of your hatred of Trump.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Both things can be true. The media is reporting actual numbers and there is absolutely a cause for concern. The media is also gleefully screaming that the sky is falling in hopes of turning that legitimate concern into full blown panic. You just can't see the latter because of your hatred of Trump.

Thanks for saving me typing time.  

1 hour ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Tis not the numbers, it’s how you bend them into TDS narrative 

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Not mutually exclusive.  (italicized)  editing to add: If US consumers are going to buy a lot of useless crap, I'd prefer they bought useless crap made in the USA. (which I have also stated before)

You are correct about other countries spying on us. Just as we spy on other countries.  However, read up on Huawei.

So, you feel that our trading partners should not try and reduce illegal drugs that come into the United States? I'm not sure you really mean that.

I understand your points, but no way is that ship turning around in a dime in terms where we buy things from. And let’s not forget, whole lots of folks be screaming bloody hell in their Target shorts went from$23 to $45 if they were made in the US..chief amongst them me! BTW, and not for nothing, the Goodfella brand of men’s clothes is freaking awesome value!!!!the undies are great! ( see what I did there? Made ya picture me in my undies,, try and get rid of that image !!

1 hour ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Umm, if you want to say the media is whipping people into a panic , think Trump is doing that all by himself. Have some friends in CA this weekend, big MAGA , his commnet yesterday was jeez, does Trump want $2000 iPhones? And this guy thinks Fox Business is too liberal. 

34 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I understand your points, but no way is that ship turning around in a dime in terms where we buy things from. And let’s not forget, whole lots of folks be screaming bloody hell in their Target shorts went from$23 to $45 if they were made in the US..chief amongst them me! BTW, and not for nothing, the Goodfella brand of men’s clothes is freaking awesome value!!!!the undies are great! ( see what I did there? Made ya picture me in my undies,, try and get rid of that image !!

:censored:

• Haha (+1) 1