The Trump Economy

GG

3 minutes ago, Nanker said:

The job market is tightening. More skilled laborers are needed. Companies aren't going to hire Spanish-only speaking immigrants from Guatemala to fill a programming position. They would hire them to pull wire in the past. Now the world's gone wireless. 

Those jobs are going to India. While everyone's been worried about losing their jobs to fruit pickers, landscapers, and house cleaners, $150K jobs that buy homes, cars, restaurant trips and vacations are going bye-bye. Add in the fact that a lot of those now out of work programmers have 6 figures in student loan debt and the real problems should become a lot more clear.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Those jobs are going to India. While everyone's been worried about losing their jobs to fruit pickers, landscapers, and house cleaners, $150K jobs that buy homes, cars, restaurant trips and vacations are going bye-bye. Add in the fact that a lot of those now out of work programmers have 6 figures in student loan debt and the real problems should become a lot more clear.

Lots of Indians are in this country too. Lots of IT jobs are staying here. Many companies have learned that India isn't another way to spell panacea. 

2 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Lots of Indians are in this country too. Lots of IT jobs are staying here. Many companies have learned that India isn't another way to spell panacea. 

There's no problem with Indians being in the country. Outsourcing is always going to happen, and it's going to become more prominent than ever. We can't stop it and we shouldn't try. instead we need to be investing in ourselves to be able to compete in that market.

Edited by BullBuchanan

27 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

There's no problem with Indians being in the country. Outsourcing is always going to happen, and it's going to become more prominent than ever. We can't stop it and we shouldn't try. instead we need to be investing in ourselves to be able to compete in that market.

Globalist nonsense.

(again, not something one who believes in liberty espouses)

• Like (+1) 3

43 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

2019-06-07_9-26-04.thumb.png.c6c1a218ea1507483d3abfda3a3346ac.png

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Do you consider yourself a globalist? 

In the definition you're likely after, probably not, but I think it's completely ignorant to ignore the impact the the world economy has on the people within it and how we must adapt our way of life in order to compete and thrive.

I've worked with people all over the world every day for the last 18 years, and probably will the rest of my life. They face the same challenges we have, do or will. You can try to stop immigration and outsourcing, just like they tried to save the steel mills in the 50's. The math just doesn't work and progress stops for no one.

If you don't figure out a better way, someone else will, and I like fight for things that move toward that better way. The days of getting a job or a career at 18 and riding that to retirement are long done. I've had 7 jobs in the last 12 years, and that's the new normal. basic programming will be the new Ford assembly line worker, Coal Miner, or Steel Mill in 20 years. You can either bemoan it or you can figure out what's next. 

Just now, Hedge said:

2019-06-07_9-26-04.thumb.png.c6c1a218ea1507483d3abfda3a3346ac.png

exactly.

Just now, BullBuchanan said:

In the definition you're likely after, probably not, but I think it's completely ignorant to ignore the impact the the world economy has on the people within it and how we must adapt our way of life in order to compete and thrive.

I've worked with people all over the world every day for the last 18 years, and probably will the rest of my life. They face the same challenges we have, do or will. You can try to stop immigration and outsourcing, just like they tried to save the steel mills in the 50's. The math just doesn't work and progress stops for no one.

If you don't figure out a better way, someone else will, and I like fight for things that move toward that better way. The days of getting a job or a career at 18 and riding that to retirement are long done. I've had 7 jobs in the last 12 years, and that's the new normal. basic programming will be the new Ford assembly line worker, Coal Miner, or Steel Mill in 20 years. You can either bemoan it or you can figure out what's next. 

That's all a dodge to the actual question asked. You claim to believe in liberty -- while espousing globalist nonsense and anti-religious takes. So I'm trying to better understand how you define yourself and your views. 

Do you consider yourself a globalist? If globalism is inevitable as you state, how does that impact your views on liberty? Who sets the rules in a globalist society? Who governs? 

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

That's all a dodge to the actual question asked. You claim to believe in liberty -- while espousing globalist nonsense and anti-religious takes. So I'm trying to better understand how you define yourself and your views. 

Do you consider yourself a globalist? If globalism is inevitable as you state, how does that impact your views on liberty? Who sets the rules in a globalist society? Who governs? 

Not sure I'm following your fictional scenario. I believe in countries whole-heartedly in that the country we live in should act in the best interests of the people within it. I view countries as nothing more than the government equivalent of a team. As part of that team, everyone should share in the highs and the lows, and the manager is responsible for making sure we're on the correct trajectory. However, I believe that ultimately it should be far easier to go to a country that has ideals you support and play for that team. 

What I get from most on the right is that they don't really believe in the concept of countries, because they don't have any interest in supporting their teammates.  

I also don't view other teams as the enemy, because our ability to win doesn't depend on their ability to lose. As long as they let me have my liberty, they can have theirs. I have no interest in assassinating foreign leaders and installing fascist dictators in their place.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Not sure I'm following your fictional scenario. I believe in countries whole-heartedly in that the country we live in should act in the best interests of the people within it. 

Yet you don't think the country should fight to keep jobs here, and are in favor of the multiple (terrible) trade deals and agreements which outsourced our manufacturing base to other countries in the name of a "global order". 

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I view countries as nothing more than the government equivalent of a team. As part of that team, everyone should share in the highs and the lows, and the manager is responsible for making sure we're on the correct trajectory. However, I believe that ultimately it should be far easier to go to a country that has ideals you support and play for that team. 

Using your analogy, if countries are just teams, then who is the league? The global order? 

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

What I get from most on the right is that they don't really believe in the concept of countries, because they don't have any interest in supporting their teammates.  

I'm not on the right. 

But this is totally erroneous. The "right" does more to help their fellow citizens than almost every other political group through charity work, and yes, religious organizations. 

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I also don't view other teams as the enemy, because our ability to win doesn't depend on their ability to lose. As long as they let me have my liberty, they can have theirs. I have no interest in assassinating foreign leaders and installing fascist dictators in their place.

You're a walking contradiction now, which is what I'm getting at. You don't seem to understand what our liberty is based in, and how it's threatened by promoting the globalist agenda you're parroting. 

Liberty requires:

* Freedom of speech and thought

* Privacy

* Due process

* Equal justice under the law

All things under assault by the push for a globalist world order. The same order you're advocating for - either without realizing it or without comprehending the origins of the ideas you're espousing. 

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Yet you don't think the country should fight to keep jobs here, and are in favor of the multiple (terrible) trade deals and agreements which outsourced our manufacturing base to other countries in the name of a "global order". 

Using your analogy, if countries are just teams, then who is the league? The global order? 

I'm not on the right. 

But this is totally erroneous. The "right" does more to help their fellow citizens than almost every other political group through charity work, and yes, religious organizations. 

You're a walking contradiction now, which is what I'm getting at. You don't seem to understand what our liberty is based in, and how it's threatened by promoting the globalist agenda you're parroting. 

Liberty requires:

* Freedom of speech and thought

* Privacy

* Due process

* Equal justice under the law

All things under assault by the push for a globalist world order. The same order you're advocating for - either without realizing it or without comprehending the origins of the ideas you're espousing. 

I'm not in favor of trade deals like NAFTA, no. They were put in place to help corporations and hurt everyone else.

Right now, mankind is the league.

You're on the right of me, by about a billion percent.

The right helps people who they want to help and they try to hurt everyone else.

You keep tossing around the term globalist, but you don't seem to know what it means and keep trying to convince me I believe in things I dont. Just stop, it's tiresome.

"World Order" lol. gtfoh 

Edited by BullBuchanan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm not in favor of trade deals like NAFTA, no. They were put in place to help corporations and hurt everyone else.

Right now, mankind is the league.

You're on the right of me, by about a billion percent.

The right helps people who they want to help and they try to hurt everyone else.

You keep tossing around the term globalist, but you don't seem to know what it means and keep trying to convince me I believe in things I dont. Just stop, it's tiresome.

"World Order" lol. gtfoh 

I am only filling in the blanks you've left unanswered. You won't answer who is going to be governing this globalist paradise you're espousing where people can freely enter soverign nations (without borders or a process), jobs shouldn't be fought for, and your political "enemies" are cast as ones who hurt others because they want to. 

Youre not interested in Liberty. You can't even define it. 

I am only filling in the blanks you've left unanswered. You won't answer who is going to be governing this globalist paradise you're espousing where people can freely enter soverign nations (without borders or a process), jobs shouldn't be fought for, and your political "enemies" are cast as ones who hurt others because they want to. 

Outside of legally keeping people in and out of a country, do you see any other reasons why borders are important?

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Jesus christ. Did you hit your head on something?

I've defined it in every post I've made.

I don't believe you "fight" for jobs by trying to prevent others from taking them. i believe you fight for them by equipping your team to take on new ones. You can try to 'make the wishbone" great again all you want, but history shows that evolution is always the best path. Now if you came out with a calm and rational plan that said something like, "hey it's 2019 and fossil fuels are dying. We still have a lot of people whose livelihoods depend on it though. We should provide some subsidies to make sure they continue to be employed and also use the bulk of that to train them on wind and solar farm operation" I would be all the way in. 

Instead what I get is a bunch "Dey took er jerhbs!" And that's useless. It helps no one.Those jobs are still going away and those people are just going to be more behind when they do.

While not particularly germane to the US economy, I can speak from experience that in healthcare, times are booming.  There simply isn't enough workers for demand in anything - doctor, nurse, PT therapist, etc.  The catch is that you have to pass a drug test, can't have a felony on your record and you actually graduated from college/university, not lie about doing so.  

You wouldn't believe the number of people in America that fail at those three basic principles in being employable.  The hot drug tests and the lying about the education are epidemic.  

I'd put neck tats, unkempt facial hair and pink/purple hair on this list too but I'm losing that battle to date.  

• Like (+1) 2

Dozens of them. 

Pretending borders is an arcane concept is not being honest. 

Just curious - I have noticed in your conversations about sovereignty the only reason you ever bring up is keeping people in and out of the country.

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Dozens of them. 

Pretending borders is an arcane concept is not being honest. 

The EU has found a largely successful solution that still needs work, but has kept their economies heavily viable in a way they otherwise would not be.