The Trump Economy

GG

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

CNN let something slip...

but... but why is he heading to Minnesota to tout the economy? is he doing this to spout more hateful rhetoric towards Ilhan?

Edited by Foxx

14 minutes ago, row_33 said:

most people are total morons, why they feel they can comment on their taxes is beyond me, for at least 95% of them

They had the guy who wrote that article on a show I listened to last week on the way home from work. A number of callers complained that they didn't get as big a refund, or would have owed (but for the increase in the child credit). First thing the guy would ask them is if they changed how much was withheld, as the IRS rejiggered the formula. They all said no.

He also pointed out numerous times that the refund was an interest-free loan to the government, and asked them if their paychecks were bigger. None of them could (or would) answer if their take-home pay was more was or not. They also discussed how the Democrats did an effective job in lying to the public about whether or not they benefited from this. 90% of taxpayers actually got a tax cut, but only ~35% thought they did.

The host did point out that Bush Jr. did it right, politically, when he had the Treasury cut checks to everyone in 2001. People had something tangible in their hands to know they got a tax cut.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/12/2019 at 12:56 PM, Chef Jim said:

I will answer for Mr Dimon.  This is how she should manage her shortfall

1. Make more money.

2. Don't have a child if you can't take care of yourself (the ole put on your oxygen mask first)

3. Move out of Orange County.  

4. It's not my problem to solve it's hers. 

Perhaps we should dig into Ms. Porter's finances a bit. 

How did you become the first Democrat to ever get elected in CA 45?

You raised almost $7M and and spent nearly ALL OF IT to become a Congresswoman? Did you not have an extra $500/month to help that poor woman in Irvine? You know how to spend $7M of other people's money Ms. Porter. Can you not figure out how to help this woman figure out the $500/month shortfall?

Why, that's $6,000 a year, Ms. Porter. A simple $60,000 for ten full years to help this woman!  You got that much money FROM ONE DONOR! 

Hypocritical schittwhore. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Foxx said:

but... but why is he heading to Minnesota to tout the economy? is he doing this to spout more hateful rhetoric towards Ilhan?

Because Trump's going after a big prize in 2020, winning Minnesota which a Republican hasn't done almost ever.  Omar is helping his cause. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, row_33 said:

most people are total morons, why they feel they can comment on their taxes is beyond me, for at least 95% of them

And it's not even difficult: do you taxes, compare your 2018 return to your 2017 return.  Divide your taxes paid by your income for each year.  Is 2018 less than 2017?  Congratulations, you got a tax cut.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Koko78 said:

They had the guy who wrote that article on a show I listened to last week on the way home from work. A number of callers complained that they didn't get as big a refund, or would have owed (but for the increase in the child credit). First thing the guy would ask them is if they changed how much was withheld, as the IRS rejiggered the formula. They all said no.

He also pointed out numerous times that the refund was an interest-free loan to the government, and asked them if their paychecks were bigger. None of them could (or would) answer if their take-home pay was more was or not. They also discussed how the Democrats did an effective job in lying to the public about whether or not they benefited from this. 90% of taxpayers actually got a tax cut, but only ~35% thought they did.

The host did point out that Bush Jr. did it right, politically, when he had the Treasury cut checks to everyone in 2001. People had something tangible in their hands to know they got a tax cut.

I did personal and corporate returns for a dozen years and took many advanced tax courses.

I have no idea what I could say that would solve any problems. So many people have a conviction they can snap their fingers and make everyone happy.....

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

And it's not even difficult: do you taxes, compare your 2018 return to your 2017 return.  Divide your taxes paid by your income for each year.  Is 2018 less than 2017?  Congratulations, you got a tax cut.  

That’s as complex as it has to be.... thanks

8 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Weekly jobless claims: 192k (actual) vs 205k (estimated) 

March retail sales: 1.6% (actual) vs .9% (estimated)

To be clear, i am not saying the economy is not doing well..

But this job market has been predicted for the last 10 years, its a simple generation thing. Boomers are retiring at a faster pace than there is people to replace them. I have been selling HR solutions since at least 2012 stressing the "war for talent" is a real thing, especially in skilled jobs. And it is only going to get worse over the next 7-10 years. As an example, Deloitte says in the next 6 years, 2M jobs in manufacturing will go unfilled because of the shortage of skilled labor to fill the roles.

Really whoever is in office is going to have great job numbers..simple matter of supply and demand. 

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Really whoever is in office is going to have great job numbers..simple matter of supply and demand. 

Not according to the premise of the OP

13 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

But this job market has been predicted for the last 10 years, its a simple generation thing. Boomers are retiring at a faster pace than there is people to replace them. I have been selling HR solutions since at least 2012 stressing the "war for talent" is a real thing, especially in skilled jobs. And it is only going to get worse over the next 7-10 years. As an example, Deloitte says in the next 6 years, 2M jobs in manufacturing will go unfilled because of the shortage of skilled labor to fill the roles.

Not that I'm disputing what you're saying, but do you have any links to back up that this was predicted a decade ago?

2 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Not that I'm disputing what you're saying, but do you have any links to back up that this was predicted a decade ago?

The seven summers of recovery don't do the trick for you?

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I predicted it. It was obvious to me and anyone with an IQ above HAHA Gator's that once Obama left office and his restrictive policies were reversed that the economy would take off.

Earnings and data could be proof that slowdown fears were overblown

</snip>

According to Refinitiv, 74% of the companies reporting so far have beaten expectations. Based on forecasts and actual reports, earnings for the S&P 500 as a whole are expected to decline 1.7%, the first negative quarter in three years. Some forecasters had projected an earnings decline of 4% or more.

The equivalent of the economy’s first-quarter report card will be released Friday, with the first reading of GDP. The outlook for first-quarter growth has suddenly shifted upward, after a series of better data releases later in the quarter. CNBC/Moody’s Analytics Rapid Update survey shows economists’ median forecast is now tracking at 2.4%, way above the 1% expected earlier in the quarter, when severe winter weather and the government shutdown were stifling the economy.

</snip>