Do not rush the OC hire

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2016/08/19/brad-childress-kansas-city-chiefs-minnesota-vikings/89001000/

Seems like Childress may retire soon. It's difficult for me to see him taking another coaching job that isn't HC.

If that's who we are waiting for, I'm sure there's been some discussion and he's on board for a while. Right?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/chiefs/2016/08/19/brad-childress-kansas-city-chiefs-minnesota-vikings/89001000/

Seems like Childress may retire soon. It's difficult for me to see him taking another coaching job that isn't HC.

Can't see the article. Is/was he contemplating retirement because he wasn't even an OC (he was spread game analyst) or because he really wants to be a HC again?

If that's who we are waiting for, I'm sure there's been some discussion and he's on board for a while. Right?

I doubt it. Maybe McD would like to have him here, but hasn't contacted him yet. Without KC's permission it would be tampering to discuss a job with Childress or his agent.

I doubt it. Maybe McD would like to have him here, but hasn't contacted him yet. Without KC's permission it would be tampering to discuss a job with Childress or his agent.

And going 31 mph in a 30 is speeding but nobody gets in trouble for that kind of stuff either. It's very easy to "gauge interest" without needing to get permission

Can't see the article. Is/was he contemplating retirement because he wasn't even an OC (he was spread game analyst) or because he really wants to be a HC again?

Has to do with Jim Johnson, a DC who was a friend of Brad's. Here is part of the article:

But with his 60th birthday approaching, Childress kept thinking about a conversation with the late, great defensive coordinator Jim Johnson, who was pondering his future around the same age during their days on Reids staff with the Philadelphia Eagles in the early 2000s.

He just said, Im going to tell you what now, Brad, Im not going to do this (expletive) forever. I want to retire, and (wife) Vicki and I are going to play golf and go back out to California and visit with my grandkids theyre the joy of my life, Childress said recently at the Chiefs training camp. But he did it til he died.

When we played them in the (January 2009) playoff game, that was the last game he coached standing on the sidelines. They beat us and went on to play the Giants in the Meadowlands. He was upstairs in the press box. He was already sitting on a golf cart. He couldnt move around. And he was dead in (July 2009, at age 68 from a cancerous tumor on his spine).

And going 31 mph in a 30 is speeding but nobody gets in trouble for that kind of stuff either. It's very easy to "gauge interest" without needing to get permission

I'm not saying this kind of stuff doesn't happen, but it would be a forfeiture of a meaningful draft pick if the Bills were caught. Edited by BarleyNY

It is definitely a coach to take your time about !! Taking a chance on the wrong one could be devastating as we all know !!

This Olson cat i hope they look around him simply because of his history I would rather have a proven coach as OC . The guy from the Raiders (Musgrave) is my choice but if not him then i would wait & ask to talk to Childress .

What he has done in KC added to his record in Minn. which is a winning record is worth the wait when you are a Bills fan !!!