Do not rush the OC hire

I think that McCoy was probably first choice.....now the next guy on their list is still coaching int he playoffs.

I think it is important that we do NOT rush the OC hire.....because we are going to have to replace having a top 10 points scoring per game offense now that Lynn has moved on.

Take as much time as you need Whaley

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that McCoy was probably first choice.....now the next guy on their list is still coaching int he playoffs.

I think it is important that we do NOT rush the OC hire.....because we are going to have to replace having a top 10 points scoring per game offense now that Lynn has moved on.

McDermott?

I agree. This hire is critical. I am intrigued by Tom Cable, who I think would be a very good fit here. SF is rumored to be interested in him as HC though, and I am not sure he would leaves the seahags for an OC position.

I believe you're right. The position still open indicates to me the guy they want is still coaching.

Matt Nagy, an Andy Reid disciple, had 3 years in Philly with McDermott he's also younger, but he's only been the OC (co-OC). I'm not sure he has the play calling experience it seems McDermott is looking for.

Edited by Estro

One big issue is that the current coach must be released from his contract. Even promotions do not release a coach from a current contract unless he is moving up to head coach. An expiring contract would be the likely situation, but even then the coach would have to want to leave a playoff team and/or not be wanted back by that team.

I'd rather the position get filled before the supply of quality coaches dries up entirely. Who knows? Maybe there's an agreement in place with a coach, but it hasn't been announced yet.

On Thursday when McD first was announced as coach, the rumor was his LB or DB coach at Carolina would become the DC. That didn't happen at all, so other than the media saying it was McCoy, who knows if he was even seriously considered or not.

I do agree likely the reason nothing is being talked about for OC is it's all agreed to who it will be but his team is still playing. And agree it likely is one of the two from KC. Why else would you hire the OL coach if you don't know who the OC will be?

On Thursday when McD first was announced as coach, the rumor was his LB or DB coach at Carolina would become the DC. That didn't happen at all, so other than the media saying it was McCoy, who knows if he was even seriously considered or not.

I do agree likely the reason nothing is being talked about for OC is it's all agreed to who it will be but his team is still playing. And agree it likely is one of the two from KC. Why else would you hire the OL coach if you don't know who the OC will be?

There are only x number of top level position coaches available each year. Two or three sometimes is a lot. You have to lock them up or face real chance you could lose them.