3 Best and Worst Whaley Moves

BisonMan

There has been a lot of grumbling about Doug Whaley in the past year on this board. I think his record is spotty but not the nightmare that many characterize. I think all GMs have their hits and misses so I thought it would be some offseason fun for us to each post our own top/bottom three moves by the Bills’ GM. For mine, I’m only including those things that I think have been lopsided enough to be at the top or bottom. I think the jury is still out on the Sammy Watkins move so I didn’t include it. Your opinions may differ.

3 Best Moves

• Kiko for Shady – straight up trade for one of the best backs in the NFL for an injured 2nd year LB. Kiko has yet to live up to the “legend” and Shady was a perfect pick for the Bills offensive scheme.
  • Zach Brown – Signs insurance policy for ILB that needs to be cashed in when Ragland goes down with a knee injury. Brown was a leading tackler in 2016 on a team that often refused to tackle anybody.
  • Re-sign Cordy Glenn – Previous regimes in Buffalo didn’t resign their own at market rates. This is a nice departure. Imagine the Bills the last bunch of years with Jason Peters at LT.

3 Worst Moves

• QB Non-Move – There isn’t a specific move for me here other than he hasn’t made a move that has really worked out to solve the most pressing need on this (or any) moribund franchise. Continuing to push EJ Manuel as a competent starter/backup and failing to see the value in several potential draft picks (Carr, Prescott).
  • TE Charles Clay – Clay has the potential to be a star player at the TE position. However, the limitations of the Bills’ offense and QB have relegated a high-priced free-agent “play maker” to a run blocker. Clay is a good player but is eating up cap money that could be used elsewhere. A new coach or QB might redeem this move.
  • WR Jerry Hughes – A star in Schwartz’s 4-3, he was resigned to big bucks to play in Rex’s 3-4. It’s pretty apparent he is ill-suited for this role and, again, we have a player who is eating up cap space and not making a significant impact. Perhaps a switch back to a 4-3 under new leadership will resurrect Hughes career but so far under his new contract he hasn’t been very effective and continues to take stupid penalties at critical times.

Your move(s)....

EdW

Edited by BisonMan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'd arguee that Clay and Hughes are more a case of the coach not utilizing their skills. Hughes in particular has shown to be good, prior Rex.

I'm sure that the next HC (McDermott?) will go back to using Hughes properly. And Clay's production will depend on who the QB is.

I agree with both of these. My point is that signing them knowing who the coach was and his proposed scheme made their signings a waste of cap space. It could work out that both improve under new coaching/scheme but the last two years on the roster were wasted. Whaley should be more measured in how he spends cap money knowing the scheme they will be playing under. I wouldn't sign a statue of a QB (i.e. Glennon) under the current offensive scheme because he's no threat to run and the pass blocking is abysmal at times.

There has been a lot of grumbling about Doug Whaley in the past year on this board. I think his record is spotty but not the nightmare that many characterize. I think all GMs have their hits and misses so I thought it would be some offseason fun for us to each post our own top/bottom three moves by the Bills’ GM. For mine, I’m only including those things that I think have been lopsided enough to be at the top or bottom. I think the jury is still out on the Sammy Watkins move so I didn’t include it. Your opinions may differ.

3 Best Moves

• Kiko for Shady – straight up trade for one of the best backs in the NFL for an injured 2nd year LB. Kiko has yet to live up to the “legend” and Shady was a perfect pick for the Bills offensive scheme.
  • Zach Brown – Signs insurance policy for ILB that needs to be cashed in when Ragland goes down with a knee injury. Brown was a leading tackler in 2016 on a team that often refused to tackle anybody.
  • Re-sign Cordy Glenn – Previous regimes in Buffalo didn’t resign their own at market rates. This is a nice departure. Imagine the Bills the last bunch of years with Jason Peters at LT.

3 Worst Moves

• QB Non-Move – There isn’t a specific move for me here other than he hasn’t made a move that has really worked out to solve the most pressing need on this (or any) moribund franchise. Continuing to push EJ Manuel as a competent starter/backup and failing to see the value in several potential draft picks (Carr, Prescott).
  • TE Charles Clay – Clay has the potential to be a star player at the TE position. However, the limitations of the Bills’ offense and QB have relegated a high-priced free-agent “play maker” to a run blocker. Clay is a good play but is eating up cap money that could be used elsewhere. A new coach or QB might redeem this move.
  • WR Jerry Hughes – A star in Schwartz’s 4-3, he was resigned to big bucks to play in Rex’s 3-4. It’s pretty apparent he is ill-suited for this role and, again, we have a player who is eating up cap space and not making a significant impact. Perhaps a switch back to a 4-3 under new leadership will resurrect Hughes career but so far under his new contract he hasn’t been very effective and continues to take stupid penalties at critical times.

You move(s)....

EdW

Any GM makes the trade for Shady. This is like "Grigson's great moves! #1: Drafting Andrew Luck."

Any GM makes the trade for Shady. This is like "Grigson's great moves! #1: Drafting Andrew Luck."

So, he was ahead of 30 other GMs that would have done the same thing? Do that every time and you are the GM of the century. Are you saying that no other team had a player as good as Alonzo they could trade for Shady? I'm guessing every team could have coughed up someone of equal value but Whaley got in there first and made the deal.

Remember, a lot of people actually criticized the deal because "Shady is old", "Kiko is a future All-Pro", "Shady isn't worth the money", etc. I think they were all wrong.

Edited by BisonMan

Best

Agree with shady, would include not resigning spiller in that situation.

Hughes trade.

I can't really decide between some of his cheap contract pick ups, but if I had to, gillise.

Worst

Darius contract.

Really low hogan tender.

Baby gronk over Felton to start season.

The Hughes trade was done before Whaley was GM so I don't give him credit for that one. I like the Spiller move. He turned out to be another Saints dud, along with Byrd.

I actually liked the Gronk/Felton move. It allowed the team to resign Felton for lower money when he went unclaimed. They played one game without him.

Good points on Darius and Hogan.

The Hughes trade was done before Whaley was GM so I don't give him credit for that one. I like the Spiller move. He turned out to be another Saints dud, along with Byrd.

I actually liked the Gronk/Felton move. It allowed the team to resign Felton for lower money when he went unclaimed. They played one game without him.

Thought nix was out the door immediately following draft . . .

So, he was ahead of 30 other GMs that would have done the same thing? Do that every time and you are the GM of the century. Are you saying that no other team had a player as good as Alonzo they could trade for Shady? I'm guessing every team could have coughed up someone of equal value but Whaley got in there first and made the deal.

Remember, a lot of people actually criticized the deal because "Shady is old", "Kiko is a future All-Pro", "Shady isn't worth the money", etc. I think they were all wrong.

Huh? Chip called Whaley, not the other way around. Whaley was chilling on the yacht when it went down.

I'm not going to do the research to jog my memory. But basically all of the players he let go in FA that ended up under performing elsewhere

Yeah , he's been very shrewd when it comes to FA and I think it's paid off. Other than Cockrell, he hasn't let many good ones go.

It was like 2 weeks, so who knows who saw and made the deal...

Finding a franchise QB is a crapshoot. I will not hold that against the GM. For the success of every Carr or Prescott, there are tens of failures drafted in similar rounds or even higher. There are too many variables in getting a franchise QB.

Best moves have been re-signing Glenn and signing Incognito in Free Agency. These two along with Wood have really solidified the OL. Even the Miller draft pick has been an excellent choice.

To defend Whaley, he drafted and dipped in FA on the defensive side to give Ryan a chance to build his bully. Ryan failed.

Best Moves/traits

- Bring Jim Monos

- assesing the right value to his own players and FA

- overall good drafting

Worst Moves/traits

- thinking the QBs you have are good enough, you can always get better at the position if you don't a franchise QB

- needs to own the mistakes

- not making a stand with the Pegulas regarding Ryan.

Worst moves assuming he had control

1) what the he!! is Brandon Spikes doing on this rooster.

2) What could he possibly be thinking with Percey Harvin

3) Druggie Dareus should have been canned 2 suspensions and 1 fat spell ago and sent a message to all players