John Murphy Show - Can't Talk To Viewers Anymore

Now that's thinking like a producer. What content can we do that isn't phone caller driven?

The one thing I learned early on in radio is that the phone ringing is NO indication of how well your audience is reacting to anything. It's just one tool in many. Most listeners don't call radio shows. They want to listen.

The bills have a 50+ year history... lots of source material there.... Interviews, player features, behind the scenes workings of obd and the stadium... early look at 2017 opponents... top draftable players... in depth on coaching candidates including interviews with colleagues.... the john clayton interview on s&bd is always entertaining and takes a chunk of time... focus on current nfl playoffs. Anything but take constant opposing views of callers Edited by May Day 10

I think what I would like is for Murphy to team with a person who is the opposite.......to give a little bit of yin with the yang

I hate total critics

but

I also hate sunshine and rainbows all the time when it is obviously not sunshine and rainbows

So the Murphy and Sully show?

Other than the way he calls touchdowns, he's actually a really good play by play guy. Listen to some other teams' local callers. They're so amateur.

He's no Al Michaels, but we're lucky to have him.

Edited by QB Bills

Only listened a short time today ( can only tolerate so much lol) , but the best was A. Their online poll showing 40% of voters say Lynn is best fit as HC - doubt many Bills fans would want this

B. Murphy saying he disagreed with T Aikmans assessment of Rodgers Hail Mary that Giants DBs were to blame because they let R Cobb get behind them in end zone. This guy is so conditioned to never blame a defender for making a mistake that he thinks every offensive play is just a great play by the QB or WR. That's why his joke of a show is unlistenable

Watch the Cobb shove the nearest/deepest defender in the back just prior to the arrival of the ball. There is a reason no one was there to contest the catch.

We're all just shot. It's generational losing. It's changed me for the worse. I'm an extremely negative person prone to expecting bad results. And what happens with these teams, every time? They lose. It's a vicious cycle. Buffalo sports fans are literally in a long term abusive relationship.

You might need a new hobby, no reason to let entertainment change your entire personality / viewpoint on life!

I'm as big a Bills fan as any, but I'm always super optimistic on life - even when my friends around the country / people in my work world are breaking my balls about our team. If you always expect things to be bad, they will, IMO.

Of course, I love Murph's show - I actually appreciate his optimistic viewpoint of the Bills, I get plenty of the other side from national media and TBD!

Edited by Heitz

Watch the Cobb shove the nearest/deepest defender in the back just prior to the arrival of the ball. There is a reason no one was there to contest the catch.

Still inexcusable mistake by the DBs . The officials are not going to throw a flag for PI or illegal contact on a Hail Mary ( unless you're He Ray Jones lol ) Cobb knew this and the dbs were not physical enough.

Well, on January 8, 2000, while the refs were reviewing the music city nightmare play, John Murphy had me totally convinced that it was a forward pass. You have to appreciate that in those days, there was no NFL network allowing me to actually see any of the games from the outback hole in Belgium where I live, so I had to rely on a crappy ISDN line sending through the Buffalo Bills Radio Network commentary where John was the color analyst back then.

As a consequence, John Murphy postponed the depression that I have been in since that moment for at least 3 minutes.

There, I have said something nice about him !

IIRC, Joe Theisman had those of us watching on TV thinking that it was a forward pass, for sure. I thought it was until the replay and then I could see it was on a straight line. I was so hoping I was wrong and Theisman was right.

Murphy either couldn't find on-air TV employment in another town or didn't want to leave WNY when things went belly up at WKBW.

Not sure which is worse.

The result is his Baghdad Bob gig which is unlistenable.

His play by play work on the radio is worse.

You might need a new hobby, no reason to let entertainment change your entire personality / viewpoint on life!

I'm as big a Bills fan as any, but I'm always super optimistic on life - even when my friends around the country / people in my work world are breaking my balls. If you always expect things to be bad, they will, IMO.

Of course, I love Murph's show - I actually appreciate his optimistic viewpoint of the Bills, I get plenty of the other side from national media and TBD!

:beer: :beer:

IIRC, Joe Theisman had those of us watching on TV thinking that it was a forward pass, for sure. I thought it was until the replay and then I could see it was on a straight line. I was so hoping I was wrong and Theisman was right.

Pretty sure all the ESPN/ ABC crew thought it was going to be a forward lateral during that replay break.

I don't listen to the show, but I'm inerested in how the screeners "can't keep everyone off the lines"...in a normal setup, they wouldn't be able to talk to the host without the screeners explicitly approving them. It also seems weird that the they'd have a call in show with screeners dedicated to letting no callers through...

all in all, very strange dynamic.

Simple explanation: the callers lie when telling what topic they are going to ask about.