John Murphy Show - Can't Talk To Viewers Anymore

I listen at least a little every day. I agree, the show is much harder to listen to in the off-season. I have to say, when Donald Jones first joined the show, I thought he was really bland, and seemed to echo pretty much everything Murphy said...but over the course to the season, he has managed to develop his own personality, and has also managed the art of being critical of the Bills. He has openly been questioning who would want to come to the Bills as head coach. I don't hate Murph at all, just think he has a tough job. I certainly hope they cut back to 2 hours during the off-season...just for Murphs' sake.

Anna Kendrick seems nice.

Yeah, if you like knock knees

murph has always been a boring sycophant with zero charisma. he makes chris brown look like a combination of upton sinclair and george clooney. his show was always a challenge to listen to -- it's only slightly more interesting than white noise, but puts you to sleep twice as fast. it has the quality of melting vanilla ice cream but none of the flavor.

that said, he inadvertently stepped into radio gold when he started yelling at tweeners last week. honestly, that was the first time i even thought about murph in over a year.

they really need to take the show on the road to area middle schools, where murph browbeats and abuses little kids for their anti-bills takes. i would definitely listen to that as long as they promise not to have coach sal on talking about his son max or what's going on on twitter.

He actually was really good with Larry Felser on Monday Evening Quarterback in the 80s and 90s.

They should just take him off the air in off season. He's an impossible listen.

you must mean all of WGR

I have the GR app and he makes schoup and bulldog something to look forward to... seems like they got better

You must like hockey because that's all shoop & dog can intelligently talk about except for their food , game show , music drafts .......LOL

It's hilarious trying to hear him defend this team over and over. The call screeners can't keep everyone off the line and there have been multiple callers basically saying "as long as Whaley and Russ are there it doesn't matter who the coach is", John's answer is always a very curt "they aren't going anywhere" and I think it makes a big difference who the HC is. Narrative is now - we are too good for retreads, this is a "Doug Whaley" search and we are bringing in young coaches who can relate to todays players.

I like John he's an intelligent man but he is no doubt an unlistenable company hack. Just like I couldn't read Shout! after the Bills bought it and put Chris Brown in charge.

That's just beautiful.

I think I'll say it again,

Nothing changes until all Ralph's trash is gone,

WAKE UP PEGS!

I agree Rico, need too get the Wilson losers out.

He's a blind ass fan who happens to be employed by the Bills. Hence he can't see the utter ineptness of the organization.

John can't talk about the ineptitude of the franchise like you can. Do you talk bad about the boss at work

Yeah, if you like knock knees

He actually was really good with Larry Felser on Monday Evening Quarterback in the 80s and 90s.

So was the bulldog when he was at WBEN

John Murphy Needs to retire. He's so angry at this team and it shows.

How is John angry. Never hear him get mad at the bills maybe some callers Edited by Helpmenow

I cant begrudge the show for not being cynical and tearing down the inner workings of their organization...

However, a show that takes callers needs to screen them. Find more neutral topics and talk about those. If you cant get enough callers that want to go along with the show, start creating non-caller-driven content. Concentrate on the NFL playoffs more, the college bowl season, do more interviews and features, etc.

Taking caller after caller, pretending to be obtuse, and arguing is a bad look and a bad show. This happened on the early days of Hockey Hotline too when the Sabres held onto Ruff and Regier too long.

It's hilarious trying to hear him defend this team over and over. The call screeners can't keep everyone off the line and there have been multiple callers basically saying "as long as Whaley and Russ are there it doesn't matter who the coach is", John's answer is always a very curt "they aren't going anywhere" and I think it makes a big difference who the HC is. Narrative is now - we are too good for retreads, this is a "Doug Whaley" search and we are bringing in young coaches who can relate to todays players.

Terrific. Code for 'continue to promote the attitude that dumb, selfish players should be tolerated because that's how kids are these days'.

I cant begrudge the show for not being cynical and tearing down the inner workings of their organization...

However, a show that takes callers needs to screen them. Find more neutral topics and talk about those. If you cant get enough callers that want to go along with the show, start creating non-caller-driven content. Concentrate on the NFL playoffs more, the college bowl season, do more interviews and features, etc.

Taking caller after caller, pretending to be obtuse, and arguing is a bad look and a bad show. This happened on the early days of Hockey Hotline too when the Sabres held onto Ruff and Regier too long.

Now that's thinking like a producer. What content can we do that isn't phone caller driven?

The one thing I learned early on in radio is that the phone ringing is NO indication of how well your audience is reacting to anything. It's just one tool in many. Most listeners don't call radio shows. They want to listen.

As for the John Murphy Show, it's paid programming. It's the slap-chop infomercial of Buffalo Sports media.

Just know that it's state-run content, and you'll either be ok with it or not.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually sorta like Donald Jones. His questions are succinct, and to the point. Veterans struggle with that. And his stories of being on the road as a pro athlete are unique and offer an inside perspective on the game. Give me more content about how much of jerk Mario Williams was on the road. That's interesting.

There's no happy answer to anything when it comes to people's choices in entertainment. You ask 5 people what makes a good sports show, and you'll get 5 different answers. You can't be everything to everyone all the time. All of this stuff is a big deal simply because the team has been bad for years and years, and we've all run out of things to actually talk about.

So instead of the next coach, it's why is this show run by the team so bad, or why haven't they fired Russ Brandon yet, or why is Pegula not answering questions. We're all just shot. It's generational losing. It's changed me for the worse. I'm an extremely negative person prone to expecting bad results. And what happens with these teams, every time? They lose. It's a vicious cycle. Buffalo sports fans are literally in a long term abusive relationship.

Agreed. It would be foolhardy to expect him to criticize the Bills, but whomever runs that show makes several terrible assumptions: 1- that the listeners agree with Murphy 2- that the show needs listener opinion. Murphy spent an hour talking about how awesome the "new blood" coaching search is and how it's so imperative that we have a coach who can relate to the players. Ironically, Murph does not relate or understand his listeners because they open up the lines to callers and then one after another they all express confidence that the coaching search is unimpressive, so he lectures them. I don't understand if OBD is truly so insulated from the fans that they are confused by this, or if they are SO used to constantly selling us a bill of goods that they just never turn off the spin.

Well, on January 8, 2000, while the refs were reviewing the music city nightmare play, John Murphy had me totally convinced that it was a forward pass. You have to appreciate that in those days, there was no NFL network allowing me to actually see any of the games from the outback hole in Belgium where I live, so I had to rely on a crappy ISDN line sending through the Buffalo Bills Radio Network commentary where John was the color analyst back then.

As a consequence, John Murphy postponed the depression that I have been in since that moment for at least 3 minutes.

There, I have said something nice about him !