The particle sun returns

If someone were coming back  

203 members have voted

1. 1. If it were a given that the new head coach would be someone from our past, who would you pick?

• Greggo
    • Marrone
    • Marv
    • Reich
    • Rex
    • Saban....well.....his nephew
    • Schwartz
    • Wade
    • Other...please name

I can see why you would think this but you have to remember that it was ancient times when the idiom was born. There are two schools of thought on why the phrase is particle sun instead of sun particle.

The first, which is the one to which I subscribe, is that the bright star in the sky was simply known as "the sun", the this was shortened from "the origin sun". People got sick of saying "look at the origin sun", so they shortened it to the informal "look at the sun". The offshoots of the sun were obviously much less prominent. The particles had already left then but their light still reached Earth. So technically it was still the sun shine, but it was the "particle sun" because it had been splintered and made its way back to us

The other theory has to do with language. In spanish for example red is rojo and pen is pluma. But to say "the red pen" you would say "la pluma rojo"...or roja but that is another topic. The theory goes that the language of origin for particle sun was more like spanish than english and once the phrase became so prevalent it stuck, sequence and all, in all languages. Some people even believe that the abbreviation P.S. originated as particle sun, not post script. They say that P.S. means you were done writing, but then thought of something else so the writing came back, like a particle sun. They say that it was changed later on to post script by the Catholic church as some sort of way to keep scribes wages down. There is more detail to this theory but personally I think the people who espouse it are a little crazy.

I was thinking that in many other languages the adjective comes after the noun, which is why in French NATO is abbreviated OTAN, because it refers to an organization and all the other words are adjectives.

Has anyone on this board ever brought up the fact that "BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO BUFFALO" is a complete sentence?

I can see why you would think this but you have to remember that it was ancient times when the idiom was born. There are two schools of thought on why the phrase is particle sun instead of sun particle.

The first, which is the one to which I subscribe, is that the bright star in the sky was simply known as "the sun", the this was shortened from "the origin sun". People got sick of saying "look at the origin sun", so they shortened it to the informal "look at the sun". The offshoots of the sun were obviously much less prominent. The particles had already left then but their light still reached Earth. So technically it was still the sun shine, but it was the "particle sun" because it had been splintered and made its way back to us

The other theory has to do with language. In spanish for example red is rojo and pen is pluma. But to say "the red pen" you would say "la pluma rojo"...or roja but that is another topic. The theory goes that the language of origin for particle sun was more like spanish than english and once the phrase became so prevalent it stuck, sequence and all, in all languages. Some people even believe that the abbreviation P.S. originated as particle sun, not post script. They say that P.S. means you were done writing, but then thought of something else so the writing came back, like a particle sun. They say that it was changed later on to post script by the Catholic church as some sort of way to keep scribes wages down. There is more detail to this theory but personally I think the people who espouse it are a little crazy.

Excellent recovery ... well played!

I vote no to any of the prodigals.

New blood, younger than 50 is needed. Though, if I was water boarded to make a choice: Wade.

The Particle Sun thing reminds me of story a nurse told me: The young Mom just delivered her baby. She overheard the Doctors talking about the presence of meconium. She was so overblown by the sound of that, she named the baby Meconium.**

** at the click thru: meconium is fecal matter

My theory is you meant Prodigal Son but because you apparently have a less than firm grasp of the English language and its grammatical structure, it became Particle Sun

I'm astounded at the level of scholarship here. Someone worked out that the Aramaic words for "particle sun" and "prodigal son" sound alike, so there's a biblical reference. Amazing.

If we could stop talking about this it would be a mute point. But it doesn't really matter so it's moot.

I learn so darned much on this board, I'm amazed I can still think at all.