The particle sun returns

If someone were coming back  

203 members have voted

1. 1. If it were a given that the new head coach would be someone from our past, who would you pick?

• Greggo
    • Marrone
    • Marv
    • Reich
    • Rex
    • Saban....well.....his nephew
    • Schwartz
    • Wade
    • Other...please name

The particle sun???

WTF is that?

Do you mean the "prodigal son"?

OMG, I feel like my brain cells are dying the more I post here

You need to read the explanation on the difference between the tale of the prodigal son and the particle sun . It's very enlightening .

I'd pick Chuck Knox over Marv because Marv had Polian to build his team and the next coach will be on his own (with Whaley). Knox produced good teams with a lot less front office expertise than Marv had.

Edited by Ennjay

Op are you trolling with these detailed explanations of "particle sun?" It's pure comedy, thanks for the laugh if you are.

If not, your inability to admit your mistake has peaked my interest. I mean, for all intensive purposes, you seem to have some sort of deep-seeded issue with delusion. Case and point, you've created historical fable in your mind and tried to fool people with it who could care less if you made an honest mistake. I don't want to call you crazy, but I think that and you are one in the same.

Particle sun is a pretty famous idiom....I know idiom sounds like idiot but it is an actual word. There are a lot of famous ones like "a piece of cake" meaning something that is easy.

Particle sun means something that left and came back again. It originated in ancient times and is so old I'm not sure there is a verified known source. It basically means that not everything will go your way but sometimes it will come back to you or even feel guilty and come back. Think about the sun. It shines a lot of light and brightens our world. But most of the sun's rays shine away from the Earth. The proverb says how sad this is. It is so old though that they didn't really have a lot of scientific differentiation in terms so a particle and a ray were basically the same thing. They were smart enough to know that the other planets did not shine their own light. So when Jupiter, Mars or Venus were visible in the sky, they knew it was a reflection of the sun's rays...or particles...that had missed earth. So when the particle sun returned, it was a happy time as it helped to light our darkest hours, the night. The legend went so far as to say that the particle intentionally bounced off a planet and headed back to Earth out of guilt.

As opposed to prodigal son

Op are you trolling with these detailed explanations of "particle sun?" It's pure comedy, thanks for the laugh if you are.

If not, your inability to admit your mistake has peaked my interest. I mean, for all intensive purposes, you seem to have some sort of deep-seeded issue with delusion. Case and point, you've created historical fable in your mind and tried to fool people with it who could care less if you made an honest mistake. I don't want to call you crazy, but I think that and you are one in the same.

Actually, I think it's particle sum. It would seem that the OP has a case of malodorous priapism. This happens when what one is supposably saying doesn't jive with what they're actually saying. In this case, pacifically, when 4mer precedes with his discussion of the "particle sun," he gives the delusion of associated guilt of the particle causing it to reflect back to earth, when in truth at the time the theory was propositioned the earth was thought to be the center of the universe and as such all things were believed to return to it as their final wresting place. This theory actually pustulates that, in effect, the earth constituents a particle sum, as it were. Edited by transient

I'm assuming Saban is Nick. They are supposedly second cousins.

He is the obvious answer for me if so. He's on the verge of his 6th National Championship. He and Belicheck have been the best coaches in football for 15 years. Obviously it's not realistic but give me the best coach and I'll take my chances. In addition, he will bring stability, discipline, credibility and accountability to an organization that desperately needs it.

He walked away from Miami, what makes you think he'd be more committed here?

Harryhood, this one is pure humor gold. :thumbsup:

The description is confusing. If a particle from the sun is reflected back toward Earth, it would be a Sun Particle. Particle Sun sounds like the sun itself is made from a particle.

May the Schwartz be with you.

I can see why you would think this but you have to remember that it was ancient times when the idiom was born. There are two schools of thought on why the phrase is particle sun instead of sun particle.

The first, which is the one to which I subscribe, is that the bright star in the sky was simply known as "the sun", the this was shortened from "the origin sun". People got sick of saying "look at the origin sun", so they shortened it to the informal "look at the sun". The offshoots of the sun were obviously much less prominent. The particles had already left then but their light still reached Earth. So technically it was still the sun shine, but it was the "particle sun" because it had been splintered and made its way back to us

The other theory has to do with language. In spanish for example red is rojo and pen is pluma. But to say "the red pen" you would say "la pluma rojo"...or roja but that is another topic. The theory goes that the language of origin for particle sun was more like spanish than english and once the phrase became so prevalent it stuck, sequence and all, in all languages. Some people even believe that the abbreviation P.S. originated as particle sun, not post script. They say that P.S. means you were done writing, but then thought of something else so the writing came back, like a particle sun. They say that it was changed later on to post script by the Catholic church as some sort of way to keep scribes wages down. There is more detail to this theory but personally I think the people who espouse it are a little crazy.