The particle sun returns

If someone were coming back  

203 members have voted

1. 1. If it were a given that the new head coach would be someone from our past, who would you pick?

• Greggo
    • Marrone
    • Marv
    • Reich
    • Rex
    • Saban....well.....his nephew
    • Schwartz
    • Wade
    • Other...please name

Dude this thread is about the poll, not the idiom, so thanks for voting.

I feel compelled to point out that although your biblical references are accurate, you are doing nothing but bolstering my point. Yes, the son wasted his money. But before he wasted it he had taken it and left his family....in other words, particle. The dialect of the time basically created the word prodigal from particle to specify how the money was wasted. It may have even been a combination of particle and profligate....making prodigal.....like particle but with the g from profligate. But the point is the son returned like the ray/particle out of guilt. That is how Particle Sun created Prodigal Son.

The lengths you will go to not admit you are wrong is hysterical.

If I had to pick, I'd pick Wade.

He's still got a sharp defensive mind and he left the Bills with a winning record.

Levy's too old. Most of the others didn't do well here. Schwartz did as a DC, but was horrible when he had the chance to be a HC somewhere else.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yikes, this is some of the craziest stuff I've ever read on TBD...

Particle sun is a pretty famous idiom....I know idiom sounds like idiot but it is an actual word. There are a lot of famous ones like "a piece of cake" meaning something that is easy.

Particle sun means something that left and came back again. It originated in ancient times and is so old I'm not sure there is a verified known source. It basically means that not everything will go your way but sometimes it will come back to you or even feel guilty and come back. Think about the sun. It shines a lot of light and brightens our world. But most of the sun's rays shine away from the Earth. The proverb says how sad this is. It is so old though that they didn't really have a lot of scientific differentiation in terms so a particle and a ray were basically the same thing. They were smart enough to know that the other planets did not shine their own light. So when Jupiter, Mars or Venus were visible in the sky, they knew it was a reflection of the sun's rays...or particles...that had missed earth. So when the particle sun returned, it was a happy time as it helped to light our darkest hours, the night. The legend went so far as to say that the particle intentionally bounced off a planet and headed back to Earth out of guilt.

You added the second part of your post after I answered the first. The Prodigal Son is a Biblical reference and is derived from the Particle Sun. The "Prodigal Son returns" is of course something I have heard, and it is about something returning with feelings of guilt, in this case a child....a son. When they were writing that chapter of the Bible they called it "Particle Son" as a play on words. Dialects and such have created the word prodigal. The phrase in the Bible came after the phrase Particle Sun, so I choose to use the original. It's not a big deal really, and I am not anti-religious or anything, I just think the original, in this case, is a more clear idiom.

Edited by hondo in seattle

You added the second part of your post after I answered the first. The Prodigal Son is a Biblical reference and is derived from the Particle Sun. The "Prodigal Son returns" is of course something I have heard, and it is about something returning with feelings of guilt, in this case a child....a son. When they were writing that chapter of the Bible they called it "Particle Son" as a play on words. Dialects and such have created the word prodigal. The phrase in the Bible came after the phrase Particle Sun, so I choose to use the original. It's not a big deal really, and I am not anti-religious or anything, I just think the original, in this case, is a more clear idiom.

Just stop now. It isn't helping.

Sometimes good trolls can actually get the job done. You look like a fool with this one. Igonrance is not an excuse buddy. LOL

Again, this is utter non-sense. The prodigal son is about a son who convinces his father to give him his inheritance early and he goes out and wastes all the money (the meaning of prodigal is basically wasteful or reckless spending). Then he returns broke, leading to the saying "the prodigal son returns." It is not even close to what you are claiming particle sun means. But, what do I know, I'm an "idiom",

I voted Saban BTW. He is organized, disciplined, and knows how to run a program. He manages the team, not the offense or the defense, like a true HC should. They are always the most disciplined team on the field and rarely beat themselves. He is process driven and that is what a true HC should be.

The only Buffalo Bills championships are with a Saban as coach so why not?

Particle sun is a pretty famous idiom....I know idiom sounds like idiot but it is an actual word. There are a lot of famous ones like "a piece of cake" meaning something that is easy.

Particle sun means something that left and came back again. It originated in ancient times and is so old I'm not sure there is a verified known source. It basically means that not everything will go your way but sometimes it will come back to you or even feel guilty and come back. Think about the sun. It shines a lot of light and brightens our world. But most of the sun's rays shine away from the Earth. The proverb says how sad this is. It is so old though that they didn't really have a lot of scientific differentiation in terms so a particle and a ray were basically the same thing. They were smart enough to know that the other planets did not shine their own light. So when Jupiter, Mars or Venus were visible in the sky, they knew it was a reflection of the sun's rays...or particles...that had missed earth. So when the particle sun returned, it was a happy time as it helped to light our darkest hours, the night. The legend went so far as to say that the particle intentionally bounced off a planet and headed back to Earth out of guilt.

Actually no. It's the Prodigal's son, not "partical sun". It's biblical.