The particle sun returns

If someone were coming back  

203 members have voted

1. 1. If it were a given that the new head coach would be someone from our past, who would you pick?

• Greggo
    • Marrone
    • Marv
    • Reich
    • Rex
    • Saban....well.....his nephew
    • Schwartz
    • Wade
    • Other...please name

I'm assuming Saban is Nick. They are supposedly second cousins.

He is the obvious answer for me if so. He's on the verge of his 6th National Championship. He and Belicheck have been the best coaches in football for 15 years. Obviously it's not realistic but give me the best coach and I'll take my chances. In addition, he will bring stability, discipline, credibility and accountability to an organization that desperately needs it.

"Particle Sun"

Is this thread just to rub salt in the womb?

Particle sun is a pretty famous idiom....I know idiom sounds like idiot but it is an actual word. There are a lot of famous ones like "a piece of cake" meaning something that is easy.

Particle sun means something that left and came back again. It originated in ancient times and is so old I'm not sure there is a verified known source. It basically means that not everything will go your way but sometimes it will come back to you or even feel guilty and come back. Think about the sun. It shines a lot of light and brightens our world. But most of the sun's rays shine away from the Earth. The proverb says how sad this is. It is so old though that they didn't really have a lot of scientific differentiation in terms so a particle and a ray were basically the same thing. They were smart enough to know that the other planets did not shine their own light. So when Jupiter, Mars or Venus were visible in the sky, they knew it was a reflection of the sun's rays...or particles...that had missed earth. So when the particle sun returned, it was a happy time as it helped to light our darkest hours, the night. The legend went so far as to say that the particle intentionally bounced off a planet and headed back to Earth out of guilt.

Edited by 4merper4mer

I went with Schwartz. He fielded a few good teams as HC his first go-round.

For all in tents on porpoises, the others have completely lost my interest. Wade has had a few cracks at HC and never gotten it done, Saban bolted in short order in Miami, and the rest of those names, sans Reich make me want to vomit. For whatever reason, the idea of Reich as HC does nothing for me.

Particle sun is a pretty famous idiom....I know idiom sounds like idiot but it is an actual word. There are a lot of famous ones like "a piece of cake" meaning something that is easy.

Particle sun means something that left and came back again. It originated in ancient times and is so old I'm not sure there is a verified known source. It basically means that not everything will go your way but sometimes it will come back to you or even feel guilty and come back. Think about the sun. It shines a lot of light and brightens our world. But most of the sun's rays shine away from the Earth. The proverb says how sad this is. It is so old though that they didn't really have a lot of scientific differentiation in terms so a particle and a ray were basically the same thing. They were smart enough to know that the other planets did not shine their own light. So when Jupiter, Mars or Venus were visible in the sky, they knew it was a reflection of the sun's rays...or particles...that had missed earth. So when the particle sun returned, it was a happy time as it helped to light our darkest hours, the night. The legend went so far as to say that the particle intentionally bounced off a planet and headed back to Earth out of guilt.

That is utter non-sense. You sure you are not thinking of the Prodigal Son?

Edited by Mark80
  • Haha (+1) 1

That is utter non-sense.

Well it was a long time ago and they didn't have all of the scientific knowledge so give them a break. Obviously the rays from the sun don't feel any guilt. It was a legend. Whatever. The point of this thread is more the poll than the phrase I used to describe it. Think of it as being titled "Who would you want back?".

That is utter non-sense. You sure you are not thinking of the Prodigal Son?

You added the second part of your post after I answered the first. The Prodigal Son is a Biblical reference and is derived from the Particle Sun. The "Prodigal Son returns" is of course something I have heard, and it is about something returning with feelings of guilt, in this case a child....a son. When they were writing that chapter of the Bible they called it "Particle Son" as a play on words. Dialects and such have created the word prodigal. The phrase in the Bible came after the phrase Particle Sun, so I choose to use the original. It's not a big deal really, and I am not anti-religious or anything, I just think the original, in this case, is a more clear idiom.

Edited by 4merper4mer