The Deep State War Heats Up :ph34r:

Brexit vote delayed... next week will be ugly in the UK. The people voted, and the establishment won't honor their decision (after two years)... kind of sounds like our 2016 election here.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/10/theresa-may-postpones-brexit-deal-meaningful-vote-eu

Macron to speak tonight to the French people in an attempt to quell the protests... 

(The (dis)information war is global and happening on multiple fronts simultaneously)

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Brexit vote delayed... next week will be ugly in the UK. The people voted, and the establishment won't honor their decision (after two years)... kind of sounds like our 2016 election here.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/10/theresa-may-postpones-brexit-deal-meaningful-vote-eu

Macron to speak tonight to the French people in an attempt to quell the protests... 

(The (dis)information war is global and happening on multiple fronts simultaneously)

And bonus! An EU court judge said Brexit can be canceled. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

My guess is that Brits didn't appreciate the high cost of exiting the EU.   The right thing to do was not to join in the first place, but now EU extracting a very high price for the exit.  UK is definitely in a weak negotiating position at this point.  They can proceed with the exit, but the proponents undersold the near term pain that the country will have to endure.  The City can also kiss its global financial crown goodbye.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Proof that global economies are a downfall to the individual is simply shown that the individual is not respected nor given a voice.

The British Empire's whole existence was due to industrial globalization which it started.  A rash Brexit would throw UK back into pre-Thatcher days.  In the long run, it's probably the right move, but the exit will cost dearly in the short term.

1 minute ago, GG said:

The British Empire's whole existence was due to industrial globalization which it started.  A rash Brexit would throw UK back into pre-Thatcher days.  In the long run, it's probably the right move, but the exit will cost dearly in the short term.

Their politicians working to derail the will of the people to prop up their globalist interests is truly reprehensible.

Just now, GG said:

The squawk right now is over Irish/England borders and the EU wanting any taxes on goods that come in over those open borders.

It is all about the money. It is always about the money... the money for the "right" people. 

32 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

The squawk right now is over Irish/England borders and the EU wanting any taxes on goods that come in over those open borders.

It is all about the money. It is always about the money... the money for the "right" people. 

It's not just about the Irish boarder, it's about overall duties and free flow of people and goods, much of which benefits the UK.  It's also about which laws govern transactions.  The EU is insisting that it won't accept British laws and regulations as substitutes for EU regulations.  This is forcing many companies to bulk up their offices on the Continent and pare down their London affairs. 

If you want to talk in terms of this being about money, the EU is basically telling UK to ***** off, and at this point they can because the EU is a bigger market, and neither the US nor Asia are favoring the UK in the divorce.  That's why the Brits are having a hard time reaching a deal - right now they need the EU more than EU needs Britain.  It's a classic dog catches the car scenario.  It's not a coincidence that the biggest blowhard proponent of Brexit resigned immediately after the vote.

I'm all for supporting people's wishes, but only if the people were told of the consequences of their actions ahead of time.  If the people voted based on a faulty premise, then adjustments need to be made.

Just now, Koko78 said:

I wonder how fast the EU would buckle if the Brits floated the fact that they can completely shut down both the Med and shipping to Central/North Europe..

That would be interesting given the only Naval Power capable of doing so is the United States

If the UK or anyone tried to block access thru the straights of gilbralter, suez canal, or into the Black Sea, all Trump has to do is Tweet out a picture of a carrier with the caption O'RLY?

10 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

That would be interesting given the only Naval Power capable of doing so is the United States

If the UK or anyone tried to block access thru the straights of gilbralter, suez canal, or into the Black Sea, all Trump has to do is Tweet out a picture of a carrier with the caption O'RLY?

The Brits control Gibraltar, the English Channel and the North Sea. A US carrier group can't change that, even if Trump could be persuaded to intervene (and why would he?).

While they wouldn't stand up to the full might of the US Navy, the Royal Navy is far from being a joke. No one in Europe can challenge them on the seas.

You're correct in that the British likely couldn't do much to shut down the Suez canal, and they wouldn't need to try. The suggestion of closing (or seriously delaying for administrative reasons) traffic through Gibraltar and the Channel/North Sea is enough to get the point across to the EU chickenshits that the Limeys should be taken seriously and treated fairly.

1 hour ago, GG said:

Agree fully and their investment off shore is what will keep them alive. It will be an interesting economic study in a few decades that the UK survived by investing in foreign powers over their own, specifically that which they had to divest in to as part of brexit.  In the end I think the divested countries that continue to beat down the EU path suffer at the hands of the UK, specifically countries like Germany but that maybe just personal disdain for them

53 minutes ago, GG said:

It's not just about the Irish boarder, it's about overall duties and free flow of people and goods, much of which benefits the UK.  It's also about which laws govern transactions.  The EU is insisting that it won't accept British laws and regulations as substitutes for EU regulations.  This is forcing many companies to bulk up their offices on the Continent and pare down their London affairs. 

If you want to talk in terms of this being about money, the EU is basically telling UK to ***** off, and at this point they can because the EU is a bigger market, and neither the US nor Asia are favoring the UK in the divorce.  That's why the Brits are having a hard time reaching a deal - right now they need the EU more than EU needs Britain.  It's a classic dog catches the car scenario.  It's not a coincidence that the biggest blowhard proponent of Brexit resigned immediately after the vote.

I'm all for supporting people's wishes, but only if the people were told of the consequences of their actions ahead of time.  If the people voted based on a faulty premise, then adjustments need to be made.

I think the Brits are "having a hard time" because they current government wants to be having a hard time. Again, money, money, money...

The Irish border is all about taxes (duty) and what will amount to an influx of un-EU taxed goods (as I stated above).  I do not see us disagreeing on that point.

As far as neither the US nor Asia favoring Great Britain over the EU, that will be interesting in the long run. Both stepping back and watching to see how this shakes out. 

As a "faulty premise" I definitely disagree. The original idea (sold to the public) behind the EU was free(r) trade and then the Schengen area expanding to make travel easier (including some countries not in the EU). I am sure there were more "good reasons" but I am not a scholar of the genesis of the EU and how it was marketed to the public. 

But, like all scope-creep, Brussels (unelected officials) started decreeing this, that, and the other thing to control subjects of sovereign nations (ie, free trade sounds great, having to take in "migrants" from third world countries - not-so-great). How can anyone blame the subjects of a free, sovereign nation for wanting to be free from bureaucratic overlords?

The EU is doing everything they can to make this exit painful for the Brits... so no other nation will consider leaving. If Britain had taken on the euro, I am not sure they could have left, vote or not. 

Germany is ***** if Britain leaves. They will be the one major economy trying to support all these welfare programs imposed by the EU.  

Will Brexit happen? I hope for the sake of England it does. Right now the EU is an out of control bureaucratic state. It was a fabulous idea in theory (the idea had been creeping on since the 50s as I understand it), that 25 years after implementation seems to have morphed into something not originally intended (or maybe the PTB  originally did intend this subjugation to an unelected foreign body, and things are going exactly as planned?)

1 hour ago, GG said:

What a very elitist attitude.

Just now, Joe in Winslow said:

What a very elitist attitude.

The Brits were told that Brexit would be a piece of cake instead of a messy protracted divorce where they would have to give up a lot.