Why Are We Bills Fans?

So I have been reading TwoBilsDrive for the better part of the last four years or so and finally decided to join the community myself. I am glad I can share my love for this team with so many others. For my first post I thought it would be fun to see what is everyones reasoning behind following the Buffalo Bills?

Personally, I grew up following the Bills because my father was a lifelong fan from NY. I grew up hearing stories about the great 90s teams as well as the greatest comeback of all time against the Oilers. Today, I consider myself a die hard fan of the team. Unfortunately, I was 6 years old the last time the Bills were in the playoffs so I don't really remember it. Most of my Buffalo Bills memories include Drew Bledsoe holding the ball for 10 seconds every play before getting sacked, or thinking that JP Losman was going to be the next great thing after throwing a couple of opening day bombs to Lee Evans. The first Bills game I attended was opening day in 2004 against the Jags. I left the stadium in tears because Ernest Wilford caught a game winning TD against our beloved Bills. The only other game I have been to was the 2007 Sean Taylor game against the Redskins. Joe Gibbs infamously called two timeouts in a row allowing Rian Lindell to kick the game winner for us that day. I have since followed the Bills obsessively each year, hoping that one day I will get to see them in the playoffs and potentially a Super Bowl. FINGERS CROSSED!!

How about everyone else?

Edited by End The Drought

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately I was 3-6 years old during the Super Bowl years, and so I hardly remember it. I root for them because they are my team without fail. There is no going back, there is no second guessing, this is the team. I feel bad for my nephew who is in a worse position of history than you or I. Born in 2000, he has never seen the Bills make the playoffs, and yet he is still a fan. It's in our blood.

This poem that Marv Levy showed to players comes to mind:

"Fight on, my men,” Sir Andrew Said “A little I’m hurt but not yet slain. I’ll just lie down and bleed a while, And then I’ll rise and Fight again."

One day we will make it back.

I grew up on the west side of Buffalo watching Bills games on TV with my grandfather(RIP) Some of my earliest memories of the team are the 1980 and 1981 seasons and the '81 playoff loss to the Chargers. Some of the earliest players I remember were Joe Cribbs and Greg Bell at RB, Frank Lewis and Jerry Butler at WR, Jim Haslett, Fred Smerlas and Charles Romes on Defense. The mid 80s were pretty lean but helped the team restock with guys like Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed on Offense and Cornelius Bennett, Bruce Smith and Daryl Talley on Defense not to mention the many others that contributed to the amazing Super Bowl run of the early 90s. I'm a proud fan of the Buffalo Bills and the last 17 years have done nothing to change that. I have new hope with the change in ownership and I billieve that they will right the ship here and get back to winning soon.

I grew up on the west side of Buffalo watching Bills games on TV with my grandfather(RIP) Some of my earliest memories of the team are the 1980 and 1981 seasons and the '81 playoff loss to the Chargers. Some of the earliest players I remember were Joe Cribbs and Greg Bell at RB, Frank Lewis and Jerry Butler at WR, Jim Haslett, Fred Smerlas and Charles Romes on Defense. The mid 80s were pretty lean but helped the team restock with guys like Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed on Offense and Cornelius Bennett, Bruce Smith and Daryl Talley on Defense not to mention the many others that contributed to the amazing Super Bowl run of the early 90s. I'm a proud fan of the Buffalo Bills and the last 17 years have done nothing to change that. I have new hope with the change in ownership and I billieve that they will right the ship here and get back to winning soon.

the same for me. At least with the 80's we bottomed out and were able to draft Hall of Famers. That is what this team needs is to bottom out. We keep pushing and pushing trying to get in because we are "so close" that we can never get those top picks. the one time we did we drafted Mike Williams :cry:

My dad used to bug me in the late 70 s to go to a game when I was around 8 yrs old. The year the Steelers won the SB and some of my friends were all jazzed about it and I recognized the excitement they held but didn't understand how the game of Football got them there.

My Dad was a nasty drunk, not physically but I was afraid of him but still looked up to him. I also realized as a kid , going to the game was important to him so I agreed to go to a game.

We took a bus from the Transit Hill drug store run by Paul Scavone and got to the stadium. We sat in the old NN section, upper deck, second row from the edge. The game? MIAMI!!!

First win over them in a decade. Are you freaking kidding me. I was nine or ten at the time and instantly hooked. Between the atmosphere in the stadium that day and my mean, impatient old man taking the time to patiently explain the game to me , Inever looked back.

We went to every home game for the next two years. I missed the Pittsburgh game where we held Bradshaw to 9(!?) yards passing cause I was sick. I also remember watching the San Diego game with Fergy on a bad leg. My first taste of Bills disappointment 🤔

I skipped the Kay Stevenson/ Hank Bullough years though I do remember beating Dallas in one of those 2 win seasons.

I was 16 when Kelly came to town and was absolutely spoiled over the next decade of Bills fandom. Had season tickets in 88 and 91. Was on the field with my best man, Tim , for the tearing down of the GP after the Smerlas FG block Jets game.

This last year I finally reached my breaking point, no Sunday ticket( I live in Charlotte NC) . I've seen so many iterations of this team dysfunctionally sucking that I just couldn't anymore.

Am unwarrentedly optimistic that Whaley and Pegulas will get it right this time and will get the Sunday Ticket next year because, What choice do I have? I'm a lifer as a Bills fan. A nasty, soul draining addiction 👍🏻

Edited by Buffalo Boy

Back in 1969, the Bills had the overall #1 pick and took OJ. My dad bought season tickets shortly after. Going to Bills games with my dad and watching OJ was unbelievable. Seeing 80,000 fans stand every time OJ got the ball and hearing them scream "juice" after a good run was exhilirating and loud. Been hooked ever since. I hope they get their act together. All of you younger fans deserve it after what we've seen lately.

the same for me. At least with the 80's we bottomed out and were able to draft Hall of Famers. That is what this team needs is to bottom out. We keep pushing and pushing trying to get in because we are "so close" that we can never get those top picks. the one time we did we drafted Mike Williams :cry:

The Bills can no longer "bottom out". The pitchforks are so sharpened that any such attempt would result in even more venom and more idiotic attacks on front office, staff and players. Despite claims that the Bills are supported they are NOT compared to teams like the Packers.

I moved to southtowns after my father got remarried when I was 5.

Watched it a little before Rich Stadium but when announcement came about Bills moving to Orchard Park my excitement level went up. I was still unable to afford tickets, even nose bleeds, but when I went to my grandmother's on California road I could go down to stadium when it was being built. Watched football when I was not doing things on Sundays but was casual fan.

College in 1979 and developed real hatred for Jest fans for University of Buffalo was a hotbed of support for them; many students came from NYC and LonG island and reason why many were there was because it was the furthest University in NY University system so there parents could pay in state rates. Whenever there was a Jest game a large number of them would go to Orchard Park and just bad mouth Bills fans (they would talk about it when they got back) and sometimes would go to non-Jest games to just boo the Bills.

Moved to Northern Virginia after college since no work could be found in Buffalo area. Did not have a TV and did not really pay attention to football until late 80s when coworker told me he heard of a new Bills bar near work Greveys. Went there and was hooked. Got married, moved further out and occasionally went back to Greveys until I found out a new bar in Herndon was going to show games. Showed up for first game (I think there were 3 or 4 of us including owner) and DirectTV was out so we listened to game and I returned following week. Went every week I was in town (I discovered at that time cheap flights on People Express to Buffalo and would go to game occasionally). Took a job where I would be on the road a lot and discovered connections to see Bills games all over the country.

I would go to Bills home game at least once a year, usually twice, with occasional away game when local (NY to DC) or when I was on road and game was playing there. Even went to some draft events and other things like Pro Hall of Fame inductions.

Recently I do not move as well and with weird work schedule I often work Sundays or if I am not working coming off shift making Sunday recovery time so not as many events anymore but I listen to game even when I cannot see it.

Born and raised on Long island, Dad from Chicago, Mom from Boston so no allegiance to Jets/Giants. Jets/Giants had no real superstars (Namath's knees were shot). Bills were the only team from New York with a true superstar (OJ) and thus a lifetime of misery began.

Worst part is that I've passed it along to my two boys. Funny line from my youngest who called Rob Ryan Santa Claus for obvious reasons. "It makes sense that they fired Santa Claus...Christmas is over!"

I chose to be a fan in 1987. Dad's side of the family was from NY. I was born and raised here in CA. I really don't know why I chose to be a fan. Was it the helmets? The fact that family came from there? Not sure. All I know is, this has been a long, draining experience, but wouldn't change it for nothing. It will all be worth it when they finally when a Super Bowl. :thumbsup::D

At this point, just because my 92 yr old grandpa is. We had season tickets and he took me all through the super bowl years. The other reason is because I live 15 min from the stadium so it's impossible to escape it. Otherwise I'm close to jumping off the wagon. That's why "nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills"...Because we are all too afraid to jump on!

Because my Dad is a Bills fan and raised me as one. Unfortunately once I pick a team I don't switch off my fandom just because they stink. I expect it's a similar story for most fans who don't live in Buffalo.

Funny. The other part of my story is when I was young for some unknown reason I became a fan of the Super Bowl winner every year until my father set me straight.