Trump foreign policy

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

You mean he sent an negotiator!!?? Wow, I wonder if the Ukraine will feel that he is just Putin's puppet once removed. I'm sure Trump sent a real tough guy, you are fooled so easily 

Yeah, let’s send Clinton and Obama back in there. That worked out real well for the Ukraine!

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

You mean he sent an negotiator!!?? Wow, I wonder if the Ukraine will feel that he is just Putin's puppet once removed. I'm sure Trump sent a real tough guy, you are fooled so easily 

Trump is sly like a fox. He sent Obama over to bow to anyone he could find, just to put them off guard.

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

My hunch is that it's more to keep hitting EU to change its hard stance on Brexit.   I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing new tweets about tariffs on German cars.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Personally, I like big, bold Tuscan wines.  ?  When I cannot get them, Silver Springs Winery in the Finger Lakes makes my favorite US wines. Mmmmm wine ?

Oh, what was the subject again? Oh yeah, Macron bad. 

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Notice how the chants are in English and not Chinese?  It's almost like the people who have lived under both the Anglo/Western and Chinese systems are making a statement which they prefer

• Like (+1) 2

Donald Trump's most catastrophic decision

it is Trump's ill-considered decision to ditch the Intermediate Nuclear Forces Agreement with Russia. That action will come full on Friday, August 2, when the United States, having given its six-month notice, will be out of it entirely, and the treaty utterly void.

The result? Likely another unparalleled arms race, a growth in global insecurity, and a tacit license for more countries to seek nukes of their own.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/27/opinions/donald-trumps-most-catastrophic-decision-andelman/index.html

Iran intends to restart activities at Arak heavy water nuclear reactor: ISNA news agency

Heavy water can be employed in reactors to produce plutonium, a fuel used in nuclear warheads.

Later on Sunday, Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China will meet Iran in Vienna to discuss how to save the accord in an extraordinary meeting.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-iran-nuclear/iran-intends-to-restart-activities-at-arak-heavy-water-nuclear-reactor-isna-news-agency-idUSKCN1UN06P

Edited by ALF

4 hours ago, ALF said:

it is Trump's ill-considered decision to ditch the Intermediate Nuclear Forces Agreement with Russia. That action will come full on Friday, August 2, when the United States, having given its six-month notice, will be out of it entirely, and the treaty utterly void.

The result? Likely another unparalleled arms race, a growth in global insecurity, and a tacit license for more countries to seek nukes of their own.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/27/opinions/donald-trumps-most-catastrophic-decision-andelman/index.html

That guy is an idiot. Though I do like how he plugged his book in the middle of the article.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ALF said:

Russia builds intermediate-range nuclear missiles, and Trump is ditching the INF agreement?  How's that work again?

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ALF said:

Iran intends to restart activities at Arak heavy water nuclear reactor: ISNA news agency

Heavy water can be employed in reactors to produce plutonium, a fuel used in nuclear warheads.

Later on Sunday, Britain, France, Germany, Russia and China will meet Iran in Vienna to discuss how to save the accord in an extraordinary meeting.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-mideast-iran-nuclear/iran-intends-to-restart-activities-at-arak-heavy-water-nuclear-reactor-isna-news-agency-idUSKCN1UN06P

Versus having only one country in the race.

37 minutes ago, ALF said:

Did the US try to enforce the treaty in place ? 

If I remember correctly we tried to convince the Russkies to stick to the treaty. When they did not we informed them we were canceling it and gave them notice. There was plenty of time for them to convince us that they would stick to it and change our minds. Worthless, one-sided treaties are worse than having none at all.

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

No. Past administrations were too busy offering Russia a "reset button" and claiming that thinking of Russia as a geopolitical foe was foreign policy from the 1980s. 

But did the Trump administration pressure Putin to abide by the treaty ? I don't recall Trump calling out Putin on this treaty or Crimea with their meetings and press conferences.  I don't follow it that close so I have to ask.

8 minutes ago, ALF said:

But did the Trump administration pressure Putin to abide by the treaty ? I don't recall Trump calling out Putin on this treaty or Crimea with their meetings and press conferences.  I don't follow it that close so I have to ask.

I believe there were negotiations during Helsinki (? might have been one of the G-20 meetings, I forget now and am on the move so I can't grab it) -- and by negotiations I mean the US team telling the Russians that they have not been complying with the treaty for decades, and the Russians denying this was true. 

Of course, there was no way for Trump to negotiate with Russia or Putin the past three years without the media and Congress spinning it as "Trump is colluding with Putin!" -- but details.

9 minutes ago, ALF said:

I don't think we wanted to stick to a treaty that limited us from developing mid range missiles when we saw other countries not limited (because they weren't part of the treaty) and developing with impunity. Let alone Russia's breaches, nothing stopped China or Iran or NKorea or any other country from building up their arms.  

17 minutes ago, snafu said:

I don't think we wanted to stick to a treaty that limited us from developing mid range missiles when we saw other countries not limited (because they weren't part of the treaty) and developing with impunity. Let alone Russia's breaches, nothing stopped China or Iran or NKorea or any other country from building up their arms.  

Then the US should negotiate missile treaties with the other countries not just Russia. I know I sound over simplistic . 

This is a time to start over , it's not 1986 anymore that is obvious.

1 hour ago, ALF said:

Then the US should negotiate missile treaties with the other countries not just Russia. I know I sound over simplistic . 

You assume that these other countries are interested in negotiating...

1 hour ago, ALF said:

That's been this administration's m.o. from the start. Tear up an agreement and make a new agreement even if it is nearly identical. Some countries want to participate, others don't. 

• Like (+1) 1