Trump foreign policy

It's apparently a turkey shoot in Iraq right now, as one of the strikes today was apparently not launched by the US:

I would have to think that Israel is the best guess, if true. They already know that they will be in the line of reprisal fire after Soleimani got barbecued.

I am assuming the denial is referring to this:

Edited by Hedge
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Hedge said:

It's apparently a turkey shoot in Iraq right now, as one of the strikes today was apparently not launched by the US:

I would have to think that Israel is the best guess, if true. They already know that they will be in the line of reprisal fire after Soleimani got barbecued.

I am assuming the denial is referring to this:

Maybe it's the Iraqis (or elements of their military tired of being beholden to the Iranian militias)?

JERUSALEM — 

Israel had advance notice of the U.S. plan to kill Iranian military leader Gen. Qassem Suleimani, Israeli military and diplomatic analysts reported Friday night while refraining from providing further details due to heavy military censorship.

“Our assessment is that the United States informed Israel about this operation in Iraq, apparently a few days ago,” Barak Ravid, a journalist and commentator with deep sources in the Israeli security establishment, said on Channel 13.

An Israeli army officer with knowledge of Israeli military assessments, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he did not have permission to speak to reporters, told the Los Angeles Times that the attack on Suleimani “did not come as a surprise.”

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Liberal responses:

Here are the main candidates:

1.  It will provoke Iran. Well, maybe. But Iran has been at war with us for 40 years; we’ve mostly chosen to pretend otherwise. Iran’s top priority is wrecking our presence in the mideast, and then eventually destroying America. This doesn’t change that. At most it might make them spring an operation earlier than they had planned, which is as likely to do them harm as it is to do anything.

2.  It increases the risk of war. We’re already at war, see above. If anything, it makes Iran look weak, which hurts them in the region and gives domestic rebels heart and momentum. (See:  ‘Overthrow is within reach’: Leader of Iranian resistance group hails death of Qassem Soleimani.)

3.  It was illegal because there was no congressional authorization. Pretty hard to take that argument seriously in 2019, but at any rate Soleimani orchestrated an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Iraq, which is for these purposes an attack on American soil. (Even the governor of a state is allowed by the Constitution to wage war without Congressional authorization when actually attacked.) Besides which, we have a Congressional authorization for use of military force in Iraq, and this is covered by its exceedingly broad terms. Also, it’s reported that he had a large anti-American operation in the works.

4.  We can’t know the ramifications. That’s true. But that’s also true of not acting. Unintended consequences rule in the sphere of government action, but you can’t base your policy choices on not having any

5.  Orange Man Bad. To be honest, this seems to be the real objection. It’s a stupid one.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Hedge said:

Looks like something Gary would do.

Those bastards! They've defaced the Federal Depository Library Program website!!! They must all die now... or would all have to die if I knew what the ***** the Federal Depository Library Program was.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Those bastards! They've defaced the Federal Depository Library Program website!!! They must all die now... or would all have to die if I knew what the ***** the Federal Depository Library Program was.

Bit of a conundrum for our Leftys.  Iran committed a cyber attack against a Federal agency.  But if there's one thing Progressives love, it's Federal agencies

I'd ask what our resident lazy government worker thinks about this, but nobody cares what EII thinks