Trump foreign policy

23 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Was actually told today that it was unprecedented for the US to abandon allies like the Kurds like this.  :lol:

Yeah...hasn't happened since the Obama administration, who was the first to do it since W, who was the first to do it since Clinton, who was the first since H.W....    

And that's just the Kurds.  Wonder how the Hmong feel about this?

That was my first reaction when I heard about Trump's reelection based decision likely leading to the slaughter of our allies.  We're Lucy with the football when it comes to our history with the Kurds.

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Sharing information, relevant to the topic, without commentary is important. It's up to you to discern for yourself what, if anything, to take from it.

You buy Trump hook, line, and sinker - you've devoted the last 3 years of your life to spreading his propaganda

• Like (+1) 1

US says it did not approve Turkey's Syria offensive

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has denied the US gave Turkey a "green light" for its offensive in Syria.

Mr Pompeo defended President Donald Trump's widely criticised decision to withdraw US troops from the northern border area.

Turkey on Wednesday launched an assault on territory held by Kurdish-led forces - key allies of the US in the region.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49995494

"President Trump and President Erdogan have reached an understanding over precisely what this operation is," Gulnur Aybet said from Ankara on Wednesday. "He knows what the scope of this operation is."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/09/politics/turkey-syria-us-anger-ramifications/index.html

The response from Republicans has been one of the most vocal challenges to Trump in his nearly three years in office. Some like Graham and Cheney called out the president by name, and others cast his decision-making in stark and dire terms.

The Kurds “actually fought on the ground. They had people dying. To just abandon them like that so the Turks can come in and slaughter them is not just immoral, it taints our reputation all over the world,” Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) said Tuesday. “It’s a terrible mistake. We’ll have to think of what options there are. I’m sure the Senate will, potentially, take some vote to disagree with that decision.”

“President Trump's decision to abandon the Kurds, our major ally in the fight against ISIS, was terribly unwise. Today, we are seeing the consequences of that terrible decision,” Sen. Susan Collins (R-Maine) said.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/09/syria-backlash-trump-042654

Where did all these Kurds die? It's not as if they took up positions on our southern border to hold off the hordes of the Central American invaders. We helped them win a war on their territory to their benefit. Granted, defeating ISIS is a good thing for the entire world but we are not responsible for the whole world. While I sympathize with the Kurds and some others in the ME we can never force our will and way of life on these other countries, we now don't have to. The USA is now energy independent and can influence other countries with our ability to alter energy prices. With that said, we tried to do this 80 years ago and felt the wrath of Japan for doing so. We were relatively militarily weak then so it should be a lesson to us that even though we can influence other countries with our energy and economic might, we must constantly be cognizant of the need to be able to back up our words with military might and prowess.

No civilization/country/city state has become great without paying the price in blood for that greatness. We can't make other countries great by spilling our blood for them.  We can give them a start but their own blood and perseverance is what's necessary for their ultimate success.

14 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Anything Gracie?  Why are you even here? 

Came from Stadium Wall - Stayed for the same reason people look at car accidents....For one - I don't know what you guys do for a living or a home life  but it seems you guys have formed lives whereas many of you can scan the web and post a bunch of crap with the same boring repetitive takes and comments all day every day for years on end... 

I post for the sheer tragicomedy of showing how  unequivocally delusional most of you are......you do realize forum this is a different reality  - correct - please tell me you know this....

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, TH3 said:

Came from Stadium Wall - Stayed for the same reason people look at car accidents....For one - I don't know what you guys do for a living or a home life  but it seems you guys have formed lives whereas many of you can scan the web and post a bunch of crap with the same boring repetitive takes and comments all day every day for years on end... 

I post for the sheer tragicomedy of showing how  unequivocally delusional most of you are......you do realize forum this is a different reality  - correct - please tell me you know this....

TH3 against the world: "All you guys are nuts and I'm the only sane person  here". "Stop that, quit talking to me". "They're after me, I know it". You're lucky that the commitment laws have been changed in the last few decades or you'd be getting fit for a straightjacket right about now.

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

That was my first reaction when I heard about Trump's reelection based decision likely leading to the slaughter of our allies.  We're Lucy with the football when it comes to our history with the Kurds.

Let's also not forget that there are three different Kurdish groups in Syria that are internationally designated terrorist organizations - the KPP, the YPG, and Ansar al-Islam.

Which, not coincidentally, are who the Turkish are fighting.  Primarily the KPP, which has been recognized as a terrorist organization by all of NATO since the 80s.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

What a scumbag.

Trump, with a phone call agreement and abrupt withdrawal of troops, has now made our country directly responsible for at least 100,000 civilians to be displaced from their homes and (last I checked) at least 20 deaths, with half of those being civilians.

Literally just within a couple days after we withdraw troops, Turkey basically declares war as some Kurds fight back and others abandon posts, like those imprisoning ISIS fighters.

Bu..bu..but WHY would Trump make this type of sporadic  phone call agreement with the President of Turkey????

1 hour ago, TH3 said:

So your comment that Trump cannot "literally tell the truth about anything" was BS hyperbole?  BS hyperbole will get called out and ridiculed here as it should.  

1 minute ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What a scumbag.

Trump, with a phone call agreement and abrupt withdrawal of troops, has now made our country directly responsible for at least 100,000 civilians to be displaced from their homes and (last I checked) at least 20 deaths, with half of those being civilians.

Literally just within a couple days after we withdraw troops, Turkey basically declares war as some Kurds fight back and others abandon posts, like those imprisoning ISIS fighters.

Bu..bu..but WHY would Trump make this type of sporadic  phone call agreement with the President of Turkey????

So you're suggesting we go to war with a NATO ally?  ***** awesome!

5 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

So you're suggesting we go to war with a NATO ally?  ***** awesome!

Funny.

I said war?

Weird... don't see that anywhere in what I said.

The onus of these attacks is clearly primarily on Turkey. Trump, who stood behind a locked door for them to happen, just unlocked, opened the door and walked out to let them in.

And I think it's strange for you Trump folks to defend NATO when that's one of those alliances it's pretty clear agent Orange could do without.

If our troops remained and Turkey attacked the way they are now, that would have been an act of war against America on THEIR part. And I wonder if that's what Erdogan said he was going to do in that phone call and our paper tiger President just rolled over.

But these economic threats on his part right now look reeEEAAAlly effective :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Funny.

I said war?

The onus of these attacks is clearly primarily on Turkey. Trump, who stood behind a locked door for them to happen, just unlocked, opened the door and walked out to let them in.

And I think it's strange for you Trump folks to defend NATO when that's one of those alliances it's pretty clear agent Orange could do without.

If our troops remained and Turkey attacked the way they are now, that would have been an act of war against America on THEIR part. And I wonder if that's what Erdogan said he was going to do in that phone call and our paper tiger President just rolled over.

But these economic threats on his part right now look reeEEAAAlly effective :thumbsup:

War? Where did you say that?  Ummm in your fifth line of this post I'm quoting.   (EDIT)  Whoops the sixth line.  Missed your very deep and thought provoking first line.  

And regarding the bold above. I guess you don't realize we don't blindly follow every step "Agent Orange"  (good one) takes.   As a matter of fact us on the right (noticed I didn't call us "Trump Folks") are his biggest critiques.  He's an ass but boy do we love how he's set all of your hair on fire.  That's truly what we love about him.  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

What a scumbag.

No, our country is not directly responsible.  Directly responsible would be the people who took the positive action.

Follow up question:  should the United States be the police force of the world?  Because that’s the alternative.  It’s amazing how fast liberals became neo-cons in their zeal to oppose this President. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Zp0FtD8x_bigger.jpgwretchardthecat @wretchardthecat 20h20 hours ago
Erdogan currently lacks the forces to take more than an a narrow sliver of border. He may be reliant on proxies for infantry. Air will be his most potent weapon. https://amp.dw.com/en/explained-why-turkey-wants-a-military-assault-on-syrian-kurds/a-50731834?__twitter_impression=true 

Erdogan's biggest long term stick are the millions of refugees he threatens to settle on the to be conquered zone who he alternatively threatens to send to Europe. But this is likely to be the seed of future war.

We may be watching the end of Erdogan not the end of the Kurds. The Turks may dent the border but how will they hold It?

8 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Erdogan currently lacks the forces to take more than an a narrow sliver of border. He may be reliant on proxies for infantry. Air will be his most potent weapon. https://amp.dw.com/en/explained-why-turkey-wants-a-military-assault-on-syrian-kurds/a-50731834?__twitter_impression=true 

Erdogan's biggest long term stick are the millions of refugees he threatens to settle on the to be conquered zone who he alternatively threatens to send to Europe. But this is likely to be the seed of future war.

We may be watching the end of Erdogan not the end of the Kurds. The Turks may dent the border but how will they hold It?

Actually, the biggest near-term problem will be the influx of Kurdish refugees into northern Iraq.

This is not and never was just a "Syria/Turkey" issue.  It's important to remember that all those borders are largely theoretical.

Edited by DC Tom
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

Let's also not forget that there are three different Kurdish groups in Syria that are internationally designated terrorist organizations - the KPP, the YPG, and Ansar al-Islam.

Which, not coincidentally, are who the Turkish are fighting.  Primarily the KPP, which has been recognized as a terrorist organization by all of NATO since the 80s.

It's funny how no one wants to talk about that, especially the KPP and 44's promotion of them to the forefront of the Kurd/US alliance (which, while controversial, allowed him to hide an even worse alliance between AQ and US forces in theater). 

35 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Funny.

I said war?

The bolded just proves you've never bothered to understand a thing about the past three years -- really 17 years.

19 minutes ago, B-Man said:

... Funny how that works. 

It's almost like the US/GCC/Israel have been preparing for this for two years. Arming, training, funding the Kurds while Turkey got decimated the last time they tried to go into Syria (while we were still there btw). They haven't recovered from that ass kicking, and other than their edge in the air (which is extensive), they have no real ability to wage a sustained war at the moment. 

But WE MUST HELP THE KURDS! 

(dummies, we have been all along)

• Like (+1) 2