Trump foreign policy

SUDANESE DEMOCRACY ACTIVISTS SAY U.S. PRESSURE WAS KEY TO REACHING A TRANSITION DEAL WITH THE RULING MILITARY JUNTA:

From the Associated Press:

The power-sharing agreement reached between Sudan’s military and pro-democracy protesters last week came after the United States and its Arab allies applied intense pressure on both sides amid fears a prolonged crisis could tip the country into civil war, activists and officials said.

The agreement, which raised hopes of a democratic transition following the military overthrow of long-ruling autocrat Omar al-Bashir in April, was announced days after the protesters held mass marches through Khartoum and other areas.

But those familiar with the negotiations say the main breakthrough happened at a secret meeting the day before the protests, when diplomats from the U.S., Britain, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates pressed the two sides to accept proposals from the African Union and Ethiopia.

More:

Two leading activists, a Sudanese military official and two Egyptian officials described intense U.S. efforts to force a deal after veteran diplomat Donald Booth was appointed special envoy in mid-June. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the talks.

State Department officials declined to comment on U.S. efforts to broker the deal, saying only that Washington welcomes the agreement and commends the AU and Ethiopia for their mediation efforts.

Sounds like Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and his State Department deserve some kudos.

This new power transition agreement is a positive, but the situation in Sudan is extremely complicated and dangerous. For good reason many Sudanese are very suspicious of the Sudanese military.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He didn't get them to stop really. Which is the point. ;) 

Bears emphasizing, because leftists feel that if you repeat  their lie enough it becomes true..................

Edited by B-Man
  • Like (+1) 1

UK ambassador to US who criticized Trump resigns, British Foreign Office says

</snip>

In a resignation letter on Wednesday, Darroch said "the current situation is making it impossible for me to carry out my role as I would like."

“Although my posting is not due to end until the end of this year, I believe in the current circumstances the responsible course is to allow the appointment of a new ambassador," he wrote, noting the situation "has brought home to me the depth of friendship and close ties between our two countries."

</snip>

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

UK ambassador to US who criticized Trump resigns, British Foreign Office says

</snip>

In a resignation letter on Wednesday, Darroch said "the current situation is making it impossible for me to carry out my role as I would like."

“Although my posting is not due to end until the end of this year, I believe in the current circumstances the responsible course is to allow the appointment of a new ambassador," he wrote, noting the situation "has brought home to me the depth of friendship and close ties between our two countries."

</snip>

Trump Curse strikes again... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

From what I can remember, this wasn't the first time she gave the "let's get the hell out of here immediately" signal (~1:33 in) at the earliest possible moment to whomever was standing next to her. Normally I would feel bad for someone who appears to be in distress, not in this case, though.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Hedge said:

From what I can remember, this wasn't the first time she gave the "let's get the hell out of here immediately" signal (~1:33 in) at the earliest possible moment to whomever was standing next to her. Normally I would feel bad for someone who appears to be in distress, not in this case, though.

She does not look well.

• Like (+1) 1